“Yesteryear's charm with today's amenities” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of The Yorktowne Hotel

The Yorktowne Hotel
Ranked #16 of 25 Hotels in York
Pennsylvania
“Yesteryear's charm with today's amenities”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 18, 2013

This once 'the' grand hotel built in the roaring twenties still shows its charm, beauty and world class facility. It's a real beauty. From the 20 foot ceilings to the woodwork to the feel at home rooms. It is not rundown like some of the old world charmers that have been let go. This place has modern facilities, dining, food, valet parking, clean and very appealing rooms. It's right downtown walking distance to many things. We stopped here on our way to the beach and access to the Interstate 83 is good. About a mile off but well worth it because you can walk to many different kinds of places to eat. Would definitely stay here again. If you are going to stay here, don't hesitate to request a room to suit your liking. They will accommodate you. And staff is top notch too!

Room Tip: Don't be afraid to request what and where you want your room.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank coffeensunrise

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (62)
Rutherfordton
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 17, 2013

It is a lovely, old fashioned downtown inn. The appointments are antique or very nice reproductions, fine brass lamps, handsome furniture, etc. But it is also up-to-date with WiFi and ethernet connections, coffee maker, blow dryer, etc. Climate control in each room is perfectly adequate, though there is no central air in the upper floor hallways. The historic building predates such luxury. But how much time does anyone need to spend in the hall? Unlike big chain hotels, there is no free continental breakfast, but there are two restaurants onsite -- one of them more an upscale cafe or grille, and one a step back in time with white linen tablecloths and decor of a leisurely earlier day. Across the street is the wonderful old marketplace of unique foods and crafts [not open daily] -- ask the hotel's concierge for this and other hints, many within easy walking distance. Valet parking means you have to allow just a few more minutes, coming and going by car, but it is quite efficient. Overall, there's a classy, if just slightly tired, feeling of yesteryear that makes for a very pleasant visit.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Anne S
Baltimore, Maryland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 15, 2013

the hotel has an old time flavor which i loved. yes the decor is old, but it was very clean with a very really large room. it was centrally located. the only issue we had was that we didn't know that there was valet parking and that cost us $8 a day plus tip. very low garage so dont bring tall van. would come back again,

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank meandthegang
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 14, 2013

I have very mixed feelings about my stay at TheYorktowne.

First, the good. We were in town for a wedding. The facility was wonderful. The ceremony itself was on site. The room was beautiful, classic and well maintained. Beautiful ceremony. The reception room/banquet hall was also very nice. A great time- great staff.

The hotel room was spacious and the water pressure was wonderful- an underrated component to any hotel stay.

Now the hard part. The hotel has a moldy smell. My room smelled absolutely terrible. When I got home I felt that I needed an extra long shower to wash the hotel residue off.

Kevin in the parking garage was excellent. Above and beyond. Aside from him (and the event staff), I was disappointed by the ambivalence of the desk staff and the outright unpleasant attitude of the woman who seemed to be responsible for the cleaning staff.

Having read the other reviews, as well as the comments from the GM, I understand that this hotel is on its way back up with the new ownership group. I believe that with a significant investment this hotel could be amazing.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Jarrod M
Lido Beach NY
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 14, 2013

I really wanted to like this place for the location, heritage status, cheap rate...but you have to be okay with hostel level accommodations. Secure parking but comes with daily rate they forget to advise you about when you arrive. Close to revolutionary sites so good location for that reason if you don't have a car, but you do, so stay elsewhere. Nasty area after dark. Front desk should lay off Ambien. People host weddings there, which blows my mind. Room was dirty, literally soap scum in shower and hair on floor. Hair dryer circa 1985. Mattress reminded me of my great grandmother's, sinking right in the center down to floor. I wish it could be overhauled and preserved but fat chance so stop by just to admire historical value, then keep on going.

Room Tip: Location is average because I wanted to be near revolutionary sites. Neighborhood is not safe.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
2 Thank laphincow
Church Hill, Tennessee
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 6, 2013

Was subpoenaed to York PA for a court case from TN. Knew nothing about York, had no car, and the DAs office only paid for me to eat at the hotel everyday.

Before we get started a disclaimer, im typing this on a Kindle so excuse the spelling.

So basically I was trapped there for three days.

The staff when I arrived were very friendly. They issue regular keys here which was neat. The first impression of the hotel and one that stayed with me was a kind of creepy vibe. The building has a definite personality and charm.

The room on the 8 th floor was small but during my time exploring the building i saw into several other rooms and some were huge and all of them were different.

My room had a King size bed, writing desk, couch and a tv (HD flat panel) . The bathroom was nice and updated without being too obvious about it. Marble floors were very clean. The carpet in the hallways and in my room was clean as well but is showing its age but again it just added to the charm.

I explored the hotel the best I could. The ballrooms were huge and very cool. There is a very fancy restaurant in The Commonwealth Room and it looked like you went back in time to 1925 when you walk into it.

The Off Center Grill, which is like their cafe, is where I had to eat all of my meals while there, is awesome and VERY reasonably priced.

The first day I had the club wrap for lunch and it was really good but i also discovered the french fries, they were amazing, i cannot even describe them they were so good! For the first nights dinner I had the stuffed chicken which was pretty good as well but the goat cheese was a bit strong. For breakfast I highly recommend the french toast. Wow, it comes with some fruit and a banana sliced on it but when you combine these with the caramel syrup on them it was the best french toast ive ever had. I also had the cheeseburger (with fries of course) and it was cooked perfectly.

The restaurant also unfortunately leads me to my criticisms of The Yorketowne. The chef who cooks there obviously loves his or her job, but the place was empty for every meal I ate there except for one lunch. I mean literally empty. During peak meal times. I dont know why this is other than mayne the White Rose, which is apparently a very popular eatery nearby, is just takkng all the customers.

This sense of abandonment pervades even into the hotel itself as i rarely saw anyone else staying there. In fact on my floor i only saw one guy in a room down the hall.

Not only is the food prices low but from what i understand the room rates are really low too (i didnt pay for my room) .

The area that the Yorktowne is in is the downtown area. It is really nice as far as the restored buildings and landscaping, roads, etc. But there is NOTHING really down there to draw a large tourist crowd unless youre a history buff, photographer, or like me and forced to be there.

Also one other criticism. The staff dont seem to be really eager to share anything about the hotel with anyone. In fact a few employees did not know anything about the hotel themselves despite working there for more than a couple years. How can that not be a part of their training? Also the staff uniforms is what you would expect to see in a modern holiday inn. Id like to see everyone there or at least the desk staff to be in early 20th century attire. Hiring a bellhop and doorman would be a nice addition as well.

Some of the fixtures need a serious brasso job, especially the front doors. The bank in the front need to also get rid of the vanilla bank furniture and be required to have period appriopriate bank fixtures. Youre in a historic hotel not a strip mall.

Also, according to some of the Police I interacted with in York and from my own observations, after 5 pm the streets aroind the hotel go to the thugs and lowlifes who live nearby. Dont go out after 5 unless you are with someone and do not go anywhere without knowing where you are going.

My last criticism is that i asked the staff if they did tours of the hotel and they looked at me like I was insane. Really? This should be a normal routine, especially considering the downtime in the hotel. This could be a great draw for tourists and i would have loved to have had a employee who knew the history of the hotel to take me through the building instead of me having to do it myself.

The last thing i am going to add is going to sound kinda kooky but my last night there I experienced some strangeness in my room that I have not been able to truly explain.

It started when I was sitting down watching TV and I heard a little girl humming i believed outside my room door. I looked out of the peephole and didnt see anyone. As i was looking out I heard a giggle coming from the closet by the door and I checked it finding nothing. I sat back down and stsrted hearing giggling again and this time i had my phone ready and actually recorded it.

After calming a bit I laid down to go to sleep and then I heard what sounded like 1920 s or 30s big band music. I recorded it as well. I dont believe in ghosts and i work in law enforcement and i dont believe in anything i cant see or explain with science and these two incidents scared me a bit.

To sum it up, the Yorktowne is an amazing hotel and amazing landmark but I wish the staff would really dive into the history and share it with all their guests.

If you find yourself going to York PA for business or pleasure you can do much worse than this place.

P.S. in regards to another reviewer, my bed was very comfortable and the sheets were high thread count and very nice.

Room Tip: Get a larger suite and go for the 8 th floor, nice views of downtown.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
2 Thank fox459
Baltimore
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 23, 2013

I would like to give the Yorktowne two thumbs up. Wht a great wedding to attend and what grade A service. I loved the hotels historic feel and the city of York. I used the valet service for the first time and what an awesome experience The valet staff was a class act. What a group of prideful, respectful young men. Id like to give special thanks to Darby. When we first checked in all the luggage carts were in use so Datby carried all of our bags to our room by hand so that we didnt have to wait and my wife and I were able to relax right away after check in. I also found Darby was very helpful and knowledgeable about places to visit while in town. Great recommendation for dinner. I just want to thank again all the Yorktowne staff for all the hard work and great service that they provided us.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family