“Great change from the usual hotel”

The Yorktowne Hotel
Ranked #16 of 25 Hotels in York
Sacramento, Ca
“Great change from the usual hotel”
Reviewed April 23, 2008

Really great hotel. Staff was excellent and the hotel itself is charming and has a lot of character. a great change from all the franchise properties we usually end up staying at. Will stop by again if in the area.

• Liked — Charm
  • Disliked — location
  • Stayed April 2008
1 Thank nonstopflights

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (62)
New Brunswick, NJ
Reviewed February 20, 2008

My wife and I stayed one night at the Yorktowne recently. I had stayed there several times on my own on business, 5 - 10 years ago. The streets of York are not the easiest to navigate, and after several tours around the downtown area, we finally found the valet entrance - I welcomed not having to worry about my car for awhile.

Check-in was smooth and friendly. Ray, the gentleman at the front desk was the model of efficiency and cheer. He truly made us feel welcome.

The room was a standard single king. We were fortunate enough to have a corner room, which afforded us 3 windows on 2 walls, making the room bright and airy. Small touches were noticed, such as sandwiching the blanket between two top sheets (having to touch hotel blankets is a pet peeve of mine). The only downside to the room was the TV - although a beautiful flat-screen, it was positioned to the side of the bed, so while lying in bed, only one of us could have a clear view.

The neighborood isn't great, but a big improvement from several years ago. It's hard to fault this hotel for it's location - it was built in 1925 - I'm sure the neighborhood was a bit nicer then! We walked a couple of blocks to an Irish pub, The Harp & Fiddle, a great place to eat. We did not eat in the hotel's restaurants, but enjoyed a drink from the lobby bar. The lobby is stately, and a great place to people-watch.

Checkout was just as smooth as check-in, and we were once again helped by Ray.

We were in the York area to tour several wineries, and the Yorktowne proved to be a great central location. The old furniture and odd angles are a refreshing change from the cookie-cutter roadside hotels.

• Liked — Customer Service, attention to details
  • Stayed February 2008, traveled as a couple
1 Thank ZamboniDriver
United States
Reviewed December 11, 2007

Good service. Very unique building. Clean and large rooms. Location isn't the greatest and no self park. Would visit again.

• Liked — Unique building.
  • Disliked — Location.
  • Stayed December 2007, traveled on business
1 Thank 2philuin
Jersey City, NJ
Reviewed October 8, 2007

I stayed at the Yorktowne for one night while on a business trip. All reservations and billing were handled by the company, so I can't speak to the check-in process. My room was much larger than anything you would get in a chain hotel. The lobby was beautiful and charming, though the conference room where we had our breakfast meeting was a bit worn. But that's excusable in a historic hotel. And the breakfast was delicious, which is more important to me!

Stayed October 2004
2 Thank Shes_Electric
Boston
Reviewed September 18, 2007

I booked an overnight stay at the Yorktowne because I am partial to the Historic Hotels of America, and like to stay at these establishments whenever I can.

The location is not the best, and as I was traveling alone I chose not to venture outside the hotel. My room was large, however the decor was shabby, tired, and worn; the curtains were ripped, the carpet stained, etc. The fitness center that they "picture" on their website must be somewhere else because the on-site center was tired and old with antiquated equipment. In addition, the constant wail of police sirens outside kept me awake most of the night.

It must be said that the service and staff at the Yorktowne were great, as was the cafe restaurant located on the street level.

However, the negatives far outweigh the positives when it comes to this hotel. As such, after my recent stay I cancelled another upcoming reservation there and booked elsewhere.

• Stayed September 2007, traveled on business
3 Thank arp1997
Metro
Reviewed August 5, 2007

Very disorganized! Our reservations were lost on multiple occasions resulting in the loss of requested suites and banquet rooms. Our rooms charges were also incorrectly billed to another hotel guest.

The rooms, halls, elevators were stuffy (typical for old buildings). Linens were old and worn (blood on bedspread, torn sheets and curtains). Bathrooms were clean though lacking in space. The rooms were a nice size, we had plenty of space/storage. The lit closet was nice. Regarding safey, I'm sure it has to be up to code, but we could not locate any fire sprinkers. As we stayed on the 8th floor with little ones, we looked for sprinklers and smoke detectors in the halls...couldn't spot one.

The downtown area left much to be desired. The area was very shady, especially in the evenings. The hotel is historic, yet is situated near many housing projects. We didn't feel safe after dark. We visited the historic outdoor market (the only thing to do within walking distance). It was a stuffy warehouse type building with minimal light and no air circulation. We got out as quickly as we could.

We will not be returning to this hotel.

• Liked — Large Rooms
  • Disliked — Many administrative mistakes
  • Stayed August 2007
3 Thank MetroGirl42
Philadelphia, PA
Reviewed June 14, 2007

My office manager and I stayed here for a governmental conference. We had a great rate. The parking was a little hard to find, but that was the only (very minor) issue I had. This is not a cookie-cutter experience of modern corporate lodging. This is a step back in time, but still a step up from everyday antiseptic dullness.

From the valet parking to the staff in the front and the back of the house, everyone was uniformly charming, helpful and efficient. The caring attitude of the staff truly dazzled.

The Yorktowne IS an older property (in fact it's a Historic Inn of America). With that in mind, you can forgive the slight tattiness of some pieces of furniture, etc. Yet, the rooms were huge, with tall ceilings, and big windows that opened.

The bathroom was spotless, and the water was steaming hot with good pressure. I had a great internet signal, and a roomy desk to work on. My office manager had a nice room that was cheerfully bright with a Jacuzzi.

I went down to the historic and wonderful lobby after check-in to ask where I could buy a tie locally (I forgot mine). The desk clerk brought me to the back office where he had a selection of about 50 ties for me to pick and choose. What a nice, unexpected "above and beyond" moment!

We ate at the less-fancy cafe, and the food was eclectic and well-prepared. The price was reasonable, and the wine list fairly complete for a small town. The fancy restaurant was elegant, but underused. The neighborhood is not the best, but the downtown is worth a stroll. We didn't feel unsafe, but felt saddened that the Yorktowne is not in a less moribund setting.

Once in a while, we should all give a tip of the hat to a vanishing ideal of small-city America, when local owners, manners and attitudes held sway. I know people are afraid of difference, but a stay here will help you see how charming and gracious this nation once was.

I hope the Yorktowne can stay in business and compete with the corporate boring places. I will return.

• Liked — The great staff! The historical ambience and elegant appointments. The food.
  • Stayed May 2007, traveled on business