“Valentine's Day heaven”

The Yorktowne Hotel
Ranked #18 of 26 Hotels in York
Reviewed February 15, 2013

The Yorktowne is a wonderful historic hotel. Our room was beautiful and very comfortable. Susan at the front desk was great, very personable and helpful. I absolutely love this hotel. It made our Valentine's day so special.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank NikkiLumpkin
YorktowneHotelGMgr, General Manager at The Yorktowne Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded February 24, 2013

Dear Ms. Lumpkin, We are pleased that you took the time to complete a TripAdvisor review and that you enjoyed Valentine's Day at The Yorktowne.

We are also pleased to host a Yorker for a special occasion, like Valentine's Day. As you may know, we host dozens of Weddings each year and we want The York Community to view this beautiful hotel from the Roaring 20's as the special place to create a memorable experience.

Our Mission is to "Make York Proud of The Yorktowne." I will let Susan know that she helped create that kind of special experience for you on Valentine's Day !

Reviewed January 27, 2013 via mobile

Being in a historical hotel was what I wanted to experience but this experience was disappointing. The reason for my visit...the North Eastern Boys Volleyball Tournament. When we arrived, front desk service was good. The lobby area was beautiful as I expected. Once we got into the room it was a different story. All I can say is its one thing for everything to be old and clean than to be old and dirty. AND old doesn't mean that things can or should be dirty. There was mold in the bathroom, the beds were old, the sheets were old even the blankets were old. I could go on and on. I really think this establishment could use a room refresh! For what they charge they could at least have bed linens that are hotel friendly. It's a shame...such a beautiful hotel.

• Stayed: January 2013
3  Thank Evee63
YorktowneHotelGMgr, General Manager at The Yorktowne Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded February 26, 2013

Dear Evee63, We Thank You for taking the time to express disappointment with your experience. We will be using your review to educate our new Owners and to Train our Staff.

We recognize that we must "refresh our Guest Rooms". Our new Owners are poised to do this by correcting the type of items you observed. Even before those major investments are made, though, we have been authorized to improve the Staff in both Housekeeping and Maintenance.

Our new Maintenance Person, Willie, is focusing on what our industry calls "Guest Room PMs." This stands for Guest Room Preventive Maintenance.

Devoting 100% of his time to this one important task, Willie takes on one Guest Room at a time. He goes from top to bottom in the room itself and then in the bathroom. Baseboards are painted. Desks, bedside stands, and nicked chair legs are touched up. Doors are repainted. Tubs are regrouted. Caulking is redone. Bathtub, vanity, and other hardware is repaired. If rusted, the piece is replaced. We have trained our Maintenance Staff to believe that they are "re-nourishing" the part of our hotel that our Guests see the most. Sure, we can have a beautiful Dutch Elm paneled Lobby from The Roaring 20's but what do our Guests remember as they drive away? Where did they spend the most time? They spent their time in their Guest Room.

You said "I really think this establishment could use a room refresh !"

The first message we want to give you in answer to your very valid statement is that our Housekeeping and Maintenance Team agrees with you. With new Staff we are attacking those issues right now.

The second message is that our new Owners also agree with you.

That Owner is the Starwood Capital Group of Greenwich, Connecticut. Now a $22 Billion Global Company, they understand the hotel industry and have the financial assets to restore York's Community Hotel.

Our Management Team and entire Staff are thrilled to have this kind of backing. Starwood believes that this Community Landmark can be a profitable element in their portfolio with the right carefully thought out investments. They have chosen a highly respected Managment Company to oversee the operation of the hotel. The firm is HHM, Hersha Hospitality Management Company, of Harrisburg, PA. HHM is providing the tools and systems to help us improve both the Guest Experience and the hotel's financial health.

In 1986, our Team created a Mission Statement - "Make York Proud of The Yorktowne." Till 2007, we were fortunate enough to have a group of Owners who could help us fulfill that Mission. Now that this York Landmark is owned by the Starwood Capital Group, we are, once again, ready to move forward.

We hope that you are willing to send your email address so that we can update you as we make progress. As stated above, improvements executed by our Maintenance and Housekeeping Team are already taking place. As our whole Service Team sees these changes, we are getting excited and know that we will Make York Proud of The Yorktowne in 2013. We hope to share our excitement with you.

As you can see from other reviews, the level of Service and the Warmth of our Staff has never faltered. We love this beautiful old property and will have even more fun Serving our Guests as the physical product is restored.

Many of our Guest Rooms have already been improved and we definitely put our Guests into these rooms as we work to restore others. If you are visiting York again, I would be pleased to personally pick your room.

Reviewed January 21, 2013 via mobile

I am a sucker for all that is vintage or has a story. This hotel was about a 3 star hotel but I could get past all of that because of its history. It had such famous guests as Johnny Cash, Lucille Ball, Glen Miller, then Gov. Bill Clinton and more. It was built in 1925 and the formal dining room is so retro cool. The rooms are very spacious and they even had a mini kitchenette. The staff was the worst part of the stay. Not friendly and certainly not helpful. They charged me to park in their lot that was $8 when I parked on the free on street parking. After a brief discussion they begrudgingly took the charge off
I would def. stay again just for the cool factor of the hotel's history.

• Stayed: January 2013
1  Thank Fiestacon5
YorktowneHotelGMgr, General Manager at The Yorktowne Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded February 25, 2013

Dear DesPartyof5, Thank you for taking the time to compose a TripAdvisor Review on our hotel.

We are pleased that you enjoyed the history of The Yorktowne. As York's Community Hotel since 1925 we have fun showing off our history ! So many famous people have stayed at our hotel through the years. Because of our proximity to The Strand Capitol Performing Arts Center, we still have the privilege of hosting Stars of Stage and Screen when they visit York.
Famous individuals also visit York for a Speaker Series and for different Annual Dinners that take place at our hotel.. Through the years, we have been proud to host Walter Cronkite, Colin Powell, Margaret Thatcher, "Stormin" Norman Schhwarzkopf, and many others.

The York Rotary Club meets at our hotel every Wednesday at noon. It is the largest club in Pennsylvania. Of the 33,000 Rotary Clubs in the World, we are the 35th largest ! Because of the size and position the Club holds in the State and Country, Governors, Congressmen, Mayors, and the CEO's of Major Corporations often speak. This continues to swell the list of famous people who have stayed at The Yorktowne.

I Thank You for pointing out that you were not pleased with the "begrudging" way that our
Staff handled your parking arrangements. This issue causes confusion and we will continue to coach our Staff on how to handle these situations in a better way.

When you return to The Yorktowne, please ask for me. Being the "resident expert" on the History of The Yorktowne, I have been learning more every day since I first joined the hotel in 1985. As you will see, if we get the chance to meet, this beautiful Community Landmark gets in your blood !

Reviewed January 4, 2013

If you enjoy historical hotels this one is a delight and the gourmet restaurant was an added surprise. Great chef & attentive Service. Rooms are vintage but bathrooms new and Modern. Staff helpful and pleasant . It's right in the middle of the old town and walking distance to downtown sights. Local history abounds.

Stayed: January 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Deane F
Reviewed November 13, 2012

Great location in the heart of downtown York, PA. This hotel really has the old time look and feel. Very clean and quiet rooms. The staff were friendly and helpful. This hotel has old time charm, but is not "run down". If you would like to stay in a place of times gone by, this hotel is for you. I will be staying there again.

Room Tip: Read up on a little history of the hotel before you go, I will make you stay much more enjoyable if...
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Mark Y
Reviewed November 11, 2012

i was disappointed with the cleanliness (or lack thereof) in our room. a bothersome amount of hair in the bathroom and on the duvet. the shower curtain also had some mold on it. the walls are thin, so the heavy doors are pretty loud when opened and closed (if you're a light sleeper). We watch TV before bed and were more than a little surprised by the huge standard definition TV--no sleek flat screens at the Yorktown (not hugely important to us though).

the location was great--close to town, I wasn't too concerned about safety. Valet parking is $8 a day plus tax. there was a restaurant and bar attached though we didn't stop in--other guests were in there and it looked nice. The downfall is that, from a distance, this hotel does SEEM to be nice--the closer you look; however, the more disappointment you find.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Alyson B

Dear Alyson B, Thank you taking the time to let us know about your experience at our hotel.

We also want to Thank You for your support of The TripAdvisor review system. You rank as a
"Senior Reviewer" because you have done 7 different reviews in 7 cities. That's great ! What a wonderful time you must have had in Ireland.

We apologize for the cleanliness problems that you experienced in your Guest room. This is unacceptable and has been reviewed with our Housekeeping Team. Observations, like yours, gives us an important Training Tool and are used to emphasize the level of cleanliness that our Guests deserve and expect to see in our hotel rooms. A focus on a perfect bathroom is essential.

Your statement "The downfall is that, from a distance, this hotel does SEEM to be nice - the closer you look; however, the more disappointment you find." is a valid one.

Some of what you observed will be corrected by our new Owners, The Starwood Capital Group and the highly respected Management Company that they chose to operate the property. HHM, Hersha Hospitality Management has its Corporate Offices in Philadelphia and Harrisburg, PA. Both our new Owners and our new Management Company are successful and understand what is important to today's Hotel Guests.

They know that flat-screen televisions and a fresh light bedding package are expected in 2013.

However, they also know that way before the era of flat-screen televisions, a spotless bathroom was essential to the Guest Experience. The Yorktowne's Management Team has been given the needed tools and the challenge to achieve this spotless bathroom 100% of the time by HHM. We will not disappoint them or you, our Guest, because we will meet this challenge.

We look forward to combining our already excellent levels of Service & Warmth, a focus on the condition of our Guest Rooms & Baths, and the necessary investments from our new Owners.

We hope that you will send us your email address so that we can share our good news as enhancements are made to York's Grand Hotel. And if you are visiting the area, we hope that you will consider returning to our property. If you do give us the chance to show you our progress, please ask for me during your stay. I would like to personally Thank You for providing the candid feedback needed to coach our Team and improve our product.

Reviewed November 5, 2012

First off the bed was comfortable and room service great. The ice bucket however still has water in it with mold growing. After leaving and 20 miles later my son realized he left his laptop in the bed. We called and they said yes they had it and they locked it up. We asked if they would ship to us and charge our card the shipping and they said they would. They shipped my son's laptop in copy paper box that hold ten reams of copy paper with no packaging or bubble wrap and filled it half full of paper shreds and charged me $48 for the shipping and sent Fed Ex. You can imagine how many pieces it was. I called the manager and sent him pictures of the packaging and all he said was sorry. Basically I paid them to break my son's laptop. This had him in tears and there has been no letter of apology or refund of shipping or anything. Its time to see my lawyers now. This was October 8th 2012. I would not recommend this hotel to anyone. They don't care about their customers or what they do to the. All the manager asked is if we were planning a trip back up there. Stay anywhere but here.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank razzm1959

Dear razzm1959, I am terribly sorry about the poor choice of packaging that was used when our hotel staff shipped your son's laptop back to you. I am also sorry that I mis-interpreted what you wanted me to do after we made this mistake.

At the time, I promised to investigate and you told me that you believed my staff definitely needed specific instructions on how to better handle the shipping of valuable and fragile items.
You said that rather than having the hotel staff package an item, we should have UPS or another firm take total responsibility for the item and be sure it was packaged very well. Protective bubble wrap and a tight container that could take the abuse of the shipping process would be the responsible of UPS or another company. I believe your exact words were "Tell your Staff to leave it to The Pro's." I promised to coach our Staff and enforce those instructions so we could keep from disappointing a future Guest.

Yes I did want to do something to apologize to you and your son. That is why I asked if you would be in York again. My mistake was that I did not realize what you felt should be done to resolve the situation. I apologize.

When I realized that you believed there should be a monetary settlement and we discussed this, you were very gracious and patient as we worked through the details. I want to Thank You for how poilitely you treated me and how cooperative you were in coming to a resolution.

I was so pleased to know that your son would be getting a new computer for The Holidays.

In our final conversation, I sensed that you believed you had been treated fairly and that our hotel staff would "always leave packaging to the Pros."

If I am incorrect, please contact me. I want to be sure that we resolve our mistakes to the full satisfaction of Our Guests.