“Making a lot of trips to York”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Motel 6 York North

Motel 6 York North
Ranked #18 of 25 Hotels in York
Altoona, Pennsylvania
“Making a lot of trips to York”
Reviewed August 9, 2013

My sister is very sick so I travel to York quite frequently. I have stayed at this hotel many times now and have been satisfied every time. The rooms are clean and the staff is very friendly. They try to accommodate your needs and do it with a smile. As long as I have to make trips to York, I will be staying at this hotel.

Room Tip: Some rooms on second floor have refrigerators. Helpful for milk, etc, to take medicine and keep insu...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (38)
  • Hebrew first
New Jersey
Reviewed July 25, 2013

I stayed at this motel for the 150th Anniversary of the Battle of Gettysburg, and ended up booking it late because there were other issues that made my going uncertain. I was pleasantly surprised to find a room available for under $65 USD/night (government rate as I'm retired military). I got more than I was expecting for that price. The room itself was excellent.

There were a few quirks that some guests may need to be aware of. The location right at the cloverleaf connecting I-83 and US-30 made for a lot of quirky U-turns and jug-handles to get in and out of the parking lot, but it was nothing insurmountable.

The one elevator vibrated and shook whenever it stopped while going down, which can be disconcerting for a lot of people.

The motel offers free WiFi, but there are no computers available for guest use. I had to go to the public library about 2 miles away for internet access. As I pointed out to the hostess, a motel like that should be able to afford at least one inexpensive laptop that can be made available in the lobby for guests.

On the plus side, being at the cloverleaf was a good location with good diners, fast food places, convenience stores/gas station and pharmacies all within easy reach, the quirky traffic pattern notwithstanding.

If I ever need to stay in that area overnight again, this will be my first choice.

1 Thank MadTom56
Canyon Lake, California
Reviewed July 24, 2013

Upon checking in I saw the 4 star rated Trip Advisor logo and it is well deserved. Clean lobby, new looking, staff that knows what they are doing and great price for 2 beds for my wife daughter and I at about 60 bucks. New carpet in the halls, the place is clean and my room had new bathroom countertops. Beds okay. 5 stars because it is a great value for the price for a 2 star that beats many 3 star hotels I have stayed in.

Room Tip: We chose this place to stay when we were checking out Amish country in Lancaster about 30 minutes aw...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank RichBookman
Raleigh, North Carolina
Reviewed July 22, 2013

Hotel is good for such a cheap rate. Good location. It's a bit noisy particularly on the first floor but I slept soundly. One complain I do have is the cleaning staff burst into my room to clean without knocking (before I checked out). Internet is intermittent. You'd think they would've knocked, fortunately I was dressed and on my computer.

1 Thank archiphoto
Dayton, Ohio
Reviewed July 17, 2013

I was in the area for the 150TH GAC Gettysburg. As being reenactors I am used to camping and conditions that arent reasonable. I was looking forward to taking a shower and sleeping in a bed after a long day. However, my stay wasnt very pleasant. Upon checking in my reservations had been cancelled because the hotel was sold out. I was able to get a room but it wasnt perfect. The person checking me in was unhelpful and unfriendly. There was a horrible smell in the third floor hallway when you got off the elevator. My room had a leaky a.c. that made the room smell terrible and made everything damp. The staff was unfriendly and lacked customer service. I love staying at Red Roof Inn's but not during this trip.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
Tennessee
Reviewed July 11, 2013

Where to begin? My nephew and I booked this room for a visit to the 150th Gettysburg Battle Anniversary. I give the Motel a 2 only because of the friendliness of the front desk staff. After the check-in experience it was all downhill.

The hall on the 3rd floor stank. After we booked we realized this was a pet friendly inn. We had little other choice since everything for miles was filled to capacity. Had that not been the case, we'd have left after the first night. The smell in the hall may have been animal urine. I can't be certain, but it was bad. In my room, the lid to the ice bucket had black speckles across it. It looked like someone had spit tobacco out on it. (I wish I had taken a picture.) There were hairs all over the bathroom floor. The air conditioner in the room would not get the room below 70, which was a bad thing for me. The edges of the carpets had not been vacuumed with an edge tool in months. Under the bed was just nasty.

If you're looking for a place that reeks of odor and the housekeeping staff is obviously too lazy to do their job, then this is the place for you.

I'll add this caveat: If you think I'm someone who is impossible to please, you should read some of my other reviews before booking this place. This is the only time the reviews on TripAdvior have failed me because I booked this based on contributor reviews. All I can say is; this place must have deteriorated quickly, or, knowing how hard it is to find a pet friendly facility, perhaps this place ranks highly in that category.

Otherwise, just say NO! to this place unless it’s a last resort.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank garnmar
Vineland, Nj
Reviewed July 7, 2013

This Red Roof York is a good economy motel that provides a traveler's basic needs at a decent rate.
The motel and rooms are generally well-kept. The fridge/microwave, desk area, and free wireless internet are all good perks.

There is no free breakfast (though plenty of food places nearby, and a grocery store in a plaza right there). Also, pack a hairdryer, as the rooms do not have them. No biggies, though.

Room Tip: upper level rooms on roadside allow you to see your car.....
1 Thank Bob984