“Perfect” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #20 of 25 Hotels in York
Pennsylvania
“Perfect”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 28, 2013

Before we ever signed in, I screwed up and accidentally reserved a smoking room and the motel was booked solid for the Keystone Games so we couldn't switch rooms. I dreaded telling my wife about my mistake, but my shame was mitigated when we arrived because the staff had cleaned thoroughly and deployed air freshener, leaving the scent of smoke virtually in-offensive.

We stayed for several days while our kids competed nearby, each day returning to freshly made beds. We'd asked for 4 sets of towels when we checked in, and they gave us 5 plus a floor mat. The room was clean, the air conditioning crisp, and both mattresses and pillows were fresh and firm. While I was there, my computer died, and the staff allowed me to stay in the dining room late into one night, using the public computer, to meet a deadline.

For us, the attraction of this motel was it's location: five minutes from the natatorium and just off a strip of stores and restaurants, so we were able to quickly and conveniently go about our business. Dozens upon dozens of choices. The free breakfast helped, too. It's the usual fare: fresh waffles, toast, cereal, pastries, bagels, and fruit--nothing special, and by the fourth morning we were sick of it, but it's calories and it's close and quick, when even a fast foot visit is going to cost me another $18 bucks and it's not close to the worst continental breakfast I've seen. I don't need omelet bars and pork products on this type of stay.

One caveat: that strip, and a nearby bar that had a band on an outside deck one night, was a little noisy. A large contingent of laborers, who were trimming trees back from power lines somewhere in the area, had a block of rooms below us, facing the parking lot, and sat out each night until around 11 on folding chairs, drinking and hanging out. They were friendly enough, but I could hear them. I generally prefer to have my car where I can see it from the window, but the courtyard rooms are considerably more quiet.

I didn't see pool hours posted, but I went in late each night and nobody arrested me--I saw no sign of the green slime another reviewer mentioned, but a lot can happen in 3 weeks.

Finally, we have already decided to stay here again next year--the modest price and convenience are too good to pass up.

Room Tip: Courtyard rooms are more quiet--busy road nearby.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (26)
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 19, 2013

The beds were two full size beds not two double beds. The room smelled, the toilet seat was off its handle. Every time the toilet flushed it made a loud noise until it stopped. The light near the door did not work.

I called the front desk to ask for extra towels and wash clothes on Saturday morning. I was told "Housekeeping has not started yet." In a unfriendly tone.

Room Tip: Don't ever go there.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Ayjst21

Travelers are raving about these York hotels

Jacksonville, Florida
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 1, 2013

We spent four nights here as it was centrally located and the price was reasonable. We were very pleased with the staff and the room. It is obviously an older hotel, but our room was clean and everyone was very friendly and helpful. The only problem was not great cable reception, which is typical of smaller hotels. The breakfast was good but could use a few more choices. All in all a pleasant place to stay and we would stay there again.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Blue Point, New York
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 29, 2013

We booked this hotel when we planned a trip to Hershey Park. The Hotel is 39 miles away, but the price is 1/4 of any hotel closer. The Desk staff was friendly and helpful, the room was Clean and fully stocked. The whole location is dated and shows some wear, but the Staff goes above and beyond to maintain it as well as having a smile and hello when you pass. I would recommend this hotel for families going to Hershey and do not want to take a bath in the price of their lodging

Room Tip: Rooms on the far side of the hotel are quite and clean
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family