“Like going to a good friend's for lunch!”

The Front Porch Cafe
Ranked #20 of 452 Restaurants in York
Cuisines: American, French, Soups
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
York, Pennsylvania
“Like going to a good friend's for lunch!”
Reviewed February 28, 2014

I suggested The Front Porch Cafe for my large group's monthly gathering. Most of us are originally from the city, so going back to our roots for a meal in a house seemed rather interesting!

Reservations were made a month in advance, and at first, Dan was fine with our numbers. After some telephone tag, he wasn't sure that he could fit us all in. Then we had to move the date one week later due to the snow. When responding to a message from the restaurant, a lady couldn't find either our previous or current reservation. Dan called back and left another message, confirming the wrong day, necessitating another call to the restaurant to get things straight! In the end, we showed up on our day and time and all got seated, so it worked out. (Just be sure that they are writing down your reservation correctly, and call back to confirm the day before).

Upon arrival, we were all seated together in one spacious room, with tables to spare. Water and beverages were brought without delay. Two waitresses took care of us (Lauren had my table), and were friendly and eager to please. The service was fast for being busy, and there were no errors or omissions that I can recall. Waters were refilled without having to ask. Empty plates were removed promptly. Payments were taken tableside, so no need to queue in front of a register.

This being "Restaurant Week" in York, there was a special menu offered. The lunch specials were $10, and included a panini, soup, and a side. Many of us opted for these choices, and we were all very pleased with the taste, temperature, and quality of the fresh ingredients. The chef(s) impressed us all! It didn't taste like "restaurant food"; more like a combination of haute cuisine and old family recipes.

I had the Central Market Pork panini with Roasted Vegetable Couscous soup. For dessert, I got the Blueberry Cobbler with lemon sauce and some minty ice cream. A few things that others ordered included the Blackened Turkey panini on marble rye, Grilled Chicken Caesar wrap, Tomato and Bacon soup, and cheesecake for dessert.

The restaurant still being rather new, from time to time other patrons looked in on us to see how our room was decorated/renovated. (We did the same thing after dinner)!

There is a wheelchair lift installed on the porch for anyone unable to walk stairs to the entrance. Dining is available upstairs or downstairs, and you can request either.

If you're in the mood for great food and friendly service in a homey, pleasant environment, head into the west end of the city for a meal at the Front Porch Cafe!

3 Thank Wobble88

Baltimore Maryland
“Unique place for lunch or dinner”
Reviewed February 14, 2014

I recently had lunch at this cafe. It was excellent! I had a soup and a salad and both were superb. The decor is nice and the noise level was low. There are two rooms. The house has a huge front porch. I hope they have outdoor dining when the weather is nice. You can bring your own wine and there is no corkage fee. I want to go back. I love this place.

3 Thank nreigle
“Love!!”
Reviewed February 10, 2014

This place was soo good! A fresh, non chain resturant in York. I really hope they do well. I enjoyed our food, the staff, and the atmosphere! I would defintiely go back!

3 Thank Emily H
York, Pennsylvania
“York's Newest Non-chain Restaurant Is Worth Frequenting”
Reviewed January 16, 2014

Located in an unsuspecting area at the corner of West King and Richland Ave, this restaurant is worth a visit just to see the total renovation done to this historic and gorgeous victorian home which was originally built by a coal manufacturer back in the late 1800s.
Nothing on this menu is exotic or new age gourmet; rather, the chef takes mainstream types of food and gives them a fabulously flavorful twist using combinations of fresh ingredients that marry well and have wide appeal. I have been there twice: once for dinner and once for lunch. I had the pork tenderloin for dinner and I must say it was one of the best I have ever had - juicy, tender and extremely robust in flavor (the flavor made me think it was marinated for hours in maple or honey base marinade). For lunch I ate rather light having ordered a delicious vanilla infused arugula pear salad. I also have heard that the baby back rib panini for lunch is out of this world. The servers are very friendly and eager to please, however I do think they need a little more experience with being actively attentive to diners during the course of their meal. The pricing for all the menu items is more than reasonable!
This restaurant offers a take out of anything on the menu, and pickup occurs at the kitchen which is located at the back entrance to the restaurant. It is set up with display cases of its desserts and some other take away items.

• Visited January 2014
5 Thank cyclechick62
Pennsylvania
“An excellent new dining option in York”
Reviewed January 10, 2014

The Front Porch Cafe is York's newest addition to the dining scene. It is located on South Richland avenue which is a few blocks away from the York Fairgrounds. Richland avenue is a busy street but they have free parking in the rear of the building. This location is a wonderfully renovated Victorian home that has been meticulously restored to it's original grandeur. It is clear that they spared no expense in making sure the work was done to a very high standard. The restaurant has several rooms where one can dine. This offers patrons the opportunity to have a relatively private and quiet dining experience. While many of York's other cafe options are very good, few of them offer this type of environment. The Cafe offers both breakfast, lunch, and dinner. The food being served here is excellent. The chef is working toward having a farm to table concept, where local fresh ingredients are featured. I will assume that this means the menu will change often. The food here is nothing short of excellent, and the dinner menu is very reasonably priced. I actually had a double crab cake dish with 2 sides that was $16. Similar dishes in other restaurants in York are at least $28, I believe that at some point in the future their prices will need to go up. Their short rib panini is stellar and their homemade soups are savory and delicious. The Front Porch Cafe is a welcome addition to York's dining scene. Given their unique atmosphere, great food, and reasonable prices look for them to quickly become one of York's favorite dining options.

• Visited January 2014