“too frightening to get out of the car”
Review of Motel 6 York

Motel 6 York
Ranked #20 of 26 Hotels in York
Reviewed October 3, 2009

After driving 9 1/2 hours, I really wanted to stop. My dog and I were tired. As I approached the motel, there were boarded and abandoned buildings. I was traveling alone and just didn't feel safe so I drove the remaining four hours of my 12 hour trip.

Stayed: October 2009, traveled solo
2  Thank sarahsi
ThomPollack, Manager at Motel 6 York, responded to this reviewResponded May 5, 2010

There is one building in our area that had been boarded up and this being and older restaurant. The owners were not sure what to build there and have recently come to a decision. This building will now be a Steak and Ale house from what we have heard. And the best part is it will be adjacent to our motel. So in the short future there will be 2 restaurants just a few steps away.

I am sorry that you felt uncomfortable because of this building. This is really a nice area and we hope if in the future you are in this area you will stop in and give us a chance.

Reviewed September 24, 2009

There is no dog behind the desk at this Motel 6, just very friendly people who work at keeping all the customers happy. We stayed here for 12 days while working the York Fair.
The room is a bit shabby but large. Beds are comfortable, pillows are thin. Plenty of hot water in the shower. No lid on the toilet. Just a seat. There is a two washer, two dryer laundry that works just fine. Ice machine always had ice. Free Coffee in the morning. Motel was sold out many of the days I was there. Lots of people with pets. Always felt safe.For the money this was a great stay. Room was clean.

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled on business
2  Thank Traveler1951_8
Reviewed August 3, 2009

I stayed in room 117 of the Motel 6 in York for one night on Saturday, August 1. Overall, I have mostly good things to say about the motel. Here are my impressions...

1) I booked through the Motel 6 website, which I suggest you do since it will save you about $2/night. Not much of a savings, but this is a recession, so every bit helps.

2) My total cost for a single non-smoking room with a king bed was $49.70 including tax. Wow! What a great rate!

3) The room itself was rather decent. I got what I paid for. Clean sheets. No frills. I expected there would be little mini shampoos, but there were none. Then it dawned on me; What do you expect for less than $50/night?!

4) The front desk staff was very polite and friendly. They seemed to be genuinely nice, friendly people.

5) They offer free morning coffee in the main lobby, which is a nice little perk for such a dirt-cheap rate.

6) They allowed my cat Smokey to stay in the motel at no extra cost, which I think is terrific!

Only one downside...

1) There was no clock in my room. Since I had no watch, the only way I knew the time was by turning to a TV station that had the time in the lower corner of the screen. Fortunately they have a wakeup call service, so there was no need for a clock radio. This just goes to illustrate how no frills this place is!

ADDITIONAL NOTE: A previous reviewer said he smelled some sort of sewer aroma and had to leave the hotel as a result. I did not smell any type of bad aroma whatsoever. Not only did I not notice any bad aroma, none of the other reviewers mention a bad smell other than that one person. So I would ignore the statement about a sewer smell.

Would I stay here again? Yep! It's just an inexpensive no-frills hotel that gives you a decent litle room for a decent little price. Nothing more and nothing less.

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled on business
2  Thank MikeThePsyc
Reviewed July 30, 2009

Now I know where to stay when I travel around York! I am a picky traveler regarding with the hotels I stayed. I went to Days Inn one time, oh boy I'l never go back to that place again, dirty dirty dirty!!! I couldn't sleep, seems like the sheets wasn't even change that was so terrible! So what we did we went around York to see where we can find a cheap & CLEAN place to stay, we found Motel 6. I ask this girl, if there's any room on the 2nd flr. that was clean. She replied "Oh yes sir, everything is nice & neat and even change the bedspread for you" So then I ask what room it is and went to the front desk, I'm glad it was available! We check everything, the room smells fresh the bathroom is small but it's clean. The bed sheets & bedspread smells like they just came out of the washer. I went looking for a maid to get 2 extra pillow, did not have to wait that long. So I was giving her a tip the same girl and she replied politely "sir, you don't have to, just leave that for the maid when you leave" But I insist. That was nice of her, I guess she just inspect room cause I see her going room to room. The manager was really nice as well, he asked us how's our stay.

So if you want a place to stay where is clean, convenient and good service go to Motel 6.

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled with friends
1  Thank mytravelbuddies07
Reviewed July 28, 2009

It is easy to find a motel on any interstate, but difficult to find one with very clean rooms, friendly service, which is also pet friendly. The staff was very pleasant, and the overall experience exceeded our expectations. At this price, the expectations are that the motel could be 'hit or miss', but this one is definitely a 'hit', especially while travelling with a dog.

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank dr-dvc1
Reviewed July 25, 2009

Since all we needed was a clean, safe motel near Gettysburg, we decided to stay in York, just about a half hour away and much less expensive. We settled on Motel 6, located conveniently outside town at the junction of two main highways. When we arrived, the clerk offered to let me see two rooms and choose the one I preferred. Hint: door handles need to be lifted rather than lowered. Both rooms looked fine. They had a slightly pungent smell, perhaps from cleansers. The rooms were neatly furnished, with fresh paint, decent furniture, clean but thin linens and towels, and comfortable beds. The bathroom was clean and in excellent condition. The only amenities were 2 cakes of soap. You need to bring your own hair dryer and shampoo. The air conditioning worked well. The motel is set back from the highways, and my room on the third floor was quiet . The interior has been renovated recently, but they need to fix up the exterior stairs that have ratty outdoor carpet and rusty railings. (There is apparently also an interior elevator, although we did not use it.) The only real negative was the prank caller (not a guest) who called many rooms in the motel that night. Based on my overall experience, I would use this motel again with confidence.

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled with family
1  Thank JerseyJean
Reviewed June 17, 2009

My family usually stays at a different hotel in this area. We have family in York and go every year to visit. This year however with the prices of everything going up we had to economize. We had already made reservations at a different hotel but when we arrived in the area seen Motel 6 for much cheaper and the other hotel we usually stay at, I don't like the staff. So, we popped into Motel 6 to see what it was like. I was actually amazed. As soon as we walked through the door, the front desk clerk greeted us, with a smile I might add. Don't see that at the other hotels. We asked to see a room first due to we have never stayed here before. They were very friendly about this and gave us a key to a double bed room. I was really surprised at how much room you have with the 2 beds. Some of the other places I have stayed at with 2 beds, don't give you much room to move. These rooms are pretty spacious with 2 beds and your not bumping arms against each other. The room was clean and neat. The furniture is a little older but they are the cheapest in the area and I'm not buying the furniture to take home, so I didn't mind. They do only offer coffee in the mornings unlike the other hotel we stay at that gives a continental breakfast. However, with the money we saved on the room, we went to a diner that is conveniently located right across the street. You don't even have to go out on the main, busy road to get to this diner. Very nice!! We had a much nicer breakfast here than the continental breakfast we get at the other hotel. And still saved some money. Upon check-out we were approached by the manager and asked how our stay was, AMAZING!! I've never had the manager ask me how my stay was. We explained to him how we normally stay somewhere else but now, this is where we will stay everytime!! It's hard to find a place that has great customer service and this place has it. It's hard to find a place that is cost effective and this place has it. It's hard to find a place where you will get your money's worth and this place has it. The only problem we had was we needed extra towels due to us having 4 people staying and we went down to the front desk and got them immediately. No waiting or anything. I would highly recommend this place for anyone, business, familys, etc.

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled with family