“Just awful”

Cuisines: Delicatessen, Italian
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed May 23, 2014

Attended a retirement dinner here. Most people at our table had the Seafood Trifecta. Very small shrimp, heavily breaded and burned…black…with a slab of black burned cheese. Three scallops in a soupy cream sauce, and a crab cake (crab? really?) the size of a half dollar. Just awful. One bowl of salad, swimming is dressing, for all to share. A side dish of pasta with red sauce came to the table well after the main dish. Those who had the ravioli said it was bland and tough. We provided our own cake for dessert and when we asked for coffee the one and only waitress said she'd put on a pot. I must honestly say this was the worst dining experience ever. I felt very bad for the person who organized the event, as well as the retiree. Banquets are what this restaurant does….very badly.

Reviewed April 16, 2014

Family run business that had the finest Italian food going, but time has gone by and the upkeep is non-existant. The preparation is still OK, but the variety is GONE, as well is the amount. Older generation is fading quickly.

Reviewed October 14, 2013

Always a friendly greeting at Sam & Tony's Pasta House. The food is always just right. The back yard is super!!! Can hardly wait to go again.

Reviewed June 12, 2013

My wife and I are in York, Pennsylvania on our tour of eastern towns as possible retirement locations and on our first evening here, we found Sam & Tony's.

Might want to reconsider the possibility of York.

The reviews for this place were all over the board, but we decided to try it anyway.

It was just really, really substandard.

My wife got a side salad and spaghetti with marinara sauce. "Olive Garden does a better job. They at least make all of their pasta fresh." She also noted the rolls that accompanied her dinner were stale.

I made the mistake of getting the mussel appetizer. The mussels were all open and I'll bet pretty tasty. I ate them, but unfortunately the cook (won't call this person a chef) apparently believes that salt is a primary spice. The broth, one of the best parts of a mussel experience, was inedible. I mentioned it to the server, a vivacious and accommodating person, who said she would mention it to someone in charge. I doubt that ever happened.

The experience wasn't dreadful as much as it was extremely disappointing. Later, the owner of the B & B where we were staying was slightly embarrassed, saying she stopped recommending the place years ago We should have asked.

I wonder how the place stays in business. The food is not good.

Reviewed May 28, 2013

The service was VERY slow and the food was just ok. My wife had the shrimp parm and there was a ton of breading on the shrimp, they were really just deep fried frozen shrimp with too much breading and it was all very dry. It just took too long to get drinks and food etc.