“Needs help.”

Four Points by Sheraton York
Ranked #19 of 26 Hotels in York
Reviewed November 9, 2013

I stayed there for two nights in November. In town for a show and would try this property, for a change. Staff very friendly. I found the hallway rugs on the fifth floor to be in need replacing. My room was clean, but lacking receptacles. I only found one open that I could use, if I unplugged the coffee maker.Also the Shower Gel dispenser was not dispensing. Called front desk that evening and was told it would be taken care of; it was not. Had to ask again in the morning.
Breakfast was going along smoothly, until I found a hair on one of my breakfast sausages. Breakfast for me came to an abrupt halt; I ate an early lunch at the show. Oh, by the way if you book online and include breakfast, and one of the breakfasts fall on a Sunday, the Sunday breakfast is free. There was no mention made of it in the booking. I would have been a nice touch. Baring that,would I stay there again? No.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank pok-around
Karen M, Starwood Hotels at Four Points by Sheraton York, responded to this reviewResponded November 17, 2013

Dear pok-around,
Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback regarding your recent visit to York. We're sorry about the inconveniences you experienced while you were with us. We have forwarded your comments to the team and will be addressing with them. Thank you for sharing and we hope you will give us another chance to impress you.

Reviewed October 18, 2013

I stayed at this hotel for two nights for business in October. I chose it because of its proximity to my meeting location.

It sits on top of a big hill and there's plenty of parking, but it felt kind of creepy in a way. I first showed up in the evening (dark) and the driveway forks to the left and right as you come up the hill and there wasn't a sign to point which way was registration so I turned left, which turned out to be the back of the hotel. Very creepy. Not well lit and not a single car on that side of the building. The other side of the building (by the front desk) was somewhat better lit but you can't really park that close to the front door so you have to walk a bit. The parking is very long down the building. There's nothing there other than the building and the parking lot. No grounds really.

The front desk and lobby areas are very nice and clean and bright. There's a little sundry shop next to the front desk for drinks, sundries, snacks. The restaurant/bar was to the right of that. I did not eat any meals in the restaurant so I can't speak to that.

The staff was friendly, even the maintenance men I crossed paths with several times.

The business area (two computers and one printer) was near the front door. I only needed to print out one thing one morning and the printer wouldn't print. I asked the front desk girl and she tried but couldn't get it to work either. She offered to call someone else but I needed to get going for my meeting so I turned her offer down.

The hotel is very long, so the hallway to my room felt very long. It felt like an old hotel that had recently been remodeled. The doors had clearly been repainted recently, and the carpeting had some patches in it.

But my room was completely fine. My bathroom had been completely remodeled recently. Everything was bright white with no grime or grunge. Very nice!

There was a long desk, a flat screen TV, a decent-sized refrigerator...I wasn't really missing anything. The only thing I can say negative is that the outlets were clearly positioned in an earlier period of time before all our modern electronics. There was one way under the desk so that I had to get on my hands/knees to plug in my ipad charger. There was another on the wall next to the bed, but about 3-4 feet from the bed so not very convenient either.

The hotel was quiet, the bed was comfortable, everything was functional. It wasn't gross, it wasn't dingy, there was new wooden flooring in the entry in my room...it's clearly had some recent attention. But it did have the feeling of an older hotel. If you're looking for brand-spanking new with all the bells and whistles, this is probably not for you.

The hotel is convenient to I-83, Route 30 and George Street. It's less than 5 minutes to downtown York. There's a Starbucks and Qdoba right at the top of the street, and many other shopping and restaurant choices within 5 minutes along Route 30. It's about 45-60 minutes to Gettysburgh, and within that for Lancaster, Hershey, Harrisburg...pretty convenient!

I think for it not meeting all your business needs, $125/night is a little high. I probably wouldn't stay here for personal, I think there's better choices out there. I've never stayed in a Four Points by Sheraton before so I don't have any comparison but compared to Hyatt Place and Hilton Garden Inn it's lacking some of the nicer touches they have.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled on business
2  Thank JennyM777
Karen M, Starwood Hotels at Four Points by Sheraton York, responded to this reviewResponded October 25, 2013

Dear JennyM777,
Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts about your recent stay in York. We're glad your stay met your expectations and you enjoyed our convenient location to downtown York,, nearby destinations such as Lancaster, Harrisburg, Hershey, and Gettysbug, and our newly modeled guest rooms, Thanks for sharing and we look forward to hosting you again in the future should your travels bring you back to York!

Reviewed October 13, 2013

Good things:
lobby is spacious
plenty of close parking
very close to highway yet feels set away when in the room
Starbucks and nice Sheetz very close
convenient to main roads
clean white bath
bathroom door opens out allowing more room in the bathroom
nice bar in lobby
breakfast help WANTS to serve you
window opens a little
Bad Things- there are many listed in other reviews but the one that stands out to me is the rug in the hall. It was so awful it makes you afraid to open the door to your room.
I dream of the day all Four Points are replaced by Element of Aloft.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled on business
2  Thank Nemokota
Karen M, Starwood Hotels at Four Points by Sheraton York, responded to this reviewResponded October 18, 2013

Dear Nemokota,
We're happy to hear you enjoyed the location of our hotel, the parking facility, and the comforts of your room. We are aware the carpeting in the hallways are a bit worn and are awating our replacement carpet. In the meantime, we do schedule routine deep cleans and shampooing of our hallway carpet to keep it as clean as possible. Thanks for sharing and we look forward to your return.

Reviewed October 9, 2013

Dont even check in! I prepaid for a King room. Immediately given the wrong room. While I was at the front desk to correct the problem two different hotel guests reported their rooms had been broken into. Billed as all non-smoking, the King room I was given reeked of all kinds of odors. Carpets had huge brown stains, ac units ripped from the walls. I insisted, and was given, a refund and went elsewhere to stay. Hotel was nowhere near the quality as it was shown on Expedia. I have never seen a hotel so dirty.

Room Tip: Dont even consider this hotel!
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
4  Thank Sandy S

Dear Sandy S,
Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts regarding your recent visit to York. We're sorry to hear your stay did not meet your expectations. I'm surprised to hear that you thought our hotel was filthy as we recently had a AAA Inspector come and approve the hotel. Our hallway carpets are a bit worn out, but we shampoo them on a consistent basis. We're sorry you did not recieve the room you had requested. Unfortunately when you book through Expedia, Expedia is unable to guarantee a room type, just a room (we had in the system that you were booked under a double/double but with a request for a king). In the future, if you want to be guaranteed a particular room type, we do encourage you to book through our website as our internal sites will have the most up-to-date information.

Reviewed October 2, 2013

stayed here summer 2013. the lobby is ok... updated and clean. the front staff is friendly, but generally seemed like young college age kids, not suited to accomodating the needs of a traveller...tried hard, but just dont get it. The restaurant staff in the AM is trying very hard, but too small to succeed. Breakfast food was OK. The hotel rooms and hallways were tough. The hallways were brutal... dirty and ragged. My first step outside the elevator had my wife and I disgusted. I was about to get on ipad and find another hotel. The room we had was a little better... seemed clean. So we decided to stay. The old room had horrible beds and pillows. I went to mall and bought pillow after first night. We were here for a soccer tournament with my son, so we are accustomed to modest accommodation on such trips... but this was on the low part of the totem pole for sure. Definitely contemplated changing hotels... two other families did indeed change hotels. We stuck it out. I would not stay here again.

Room Tip: avoid a room on the floor with the pool... entire floor smells of chlorine.
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Chris K
Karen M, Starwood Hotels at Four Points by Sheraton York, responded to this reviewResponded October 11, 2013

Dear Chris K,
Thank you for choosing Four Points during your recent visit to your. We're sorry to hear your stay did not meet your expectations. Since you've been with us, our guest rooms have undergone a renovation with new furniture, new bedding, and new carpeting. We hope you give us another opportunity to please you.

Reviewed September 27, 2013

As a place to stay on a brief business trip, this is fine. My room appeared to have been recently updated and was comfortable. I am not sure if the hallway carpets had been cleaned but they were not as bad as some of the other reviews suggest. Whilst the breakfast selection is simple, the waitress was delightful and did a great job of making guests feel welcome.

Stayed: September 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Ian E
Reviewed September 17, 2013 via mobile

First time in York, booked this hotel since the brands I normally stay at were sold out. Pictures made me think it was of the same quality of other Four Points. Lobby/restaurant area also were nice and typical. Once you get up on the floors though, it looks like a motel 6. Dirty, stained carpets. Old and outdated hallways. Rooms very outdated. I contemplated leaving to find a different hotel. Will not be back.

• Stayed: September 2013
Karen M, Starwood Hotels at Four Points by Sheraton York, responded to this reviewResponded September 23, 2013

Dear Srnr34,
Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts. We're sorry to hear your recent stay did not meet your expectations. We have forwarded your review to our housekeeping and management team and will be looking to make improvements. Thanks so much and we hope you allow us another try in the future.