“Updated, but disappointed this time around.”
Review of Courtyard York

Courtyard York
Ranked #12 of 25 Hotels in York
Pennsylvania
“Updated, but disappointed this time around.”
Reviewed November 4, 2013

Second stay here and was disappointed. No longer offer complimentary coffee and tea in the lobby and replaced it with a sign that said to visit the Barrista Bar if you want coffee. I'm sure some guy in a meeting thought why give free coffee when we can get people to buy it from us? The answer is simple, it makes people happy and it's such a nice touch. The hotel is new and the rooms are nicely decorated, but that can only go so far. There was nothing special about it this time. No aknowledgement for being a Marriott Rewards member. The front desk help was only adequate and even poor upon check out. The manager was off somewhere and a maid had to check us out. She radioed the person in charge, telling her she had customers, and we heard a snippy person on the other end say, "Ok! Thanks.", but never did show up. This was at 10 am on a Sunday morning, not the middle of the night. We were woken up early in the morning to the sound of little kids running and jumping in the room above us. Not the hotel's fault, but maybe they should put families with wee ones on the ground floor next time, so if they jump around they won't sound like they're coming through the ceiling on the room beneath them. Such a disappointment and what a difference from our last stay. Something big must have changed with the management, because last year we couldn't say enough good things about it. This year...don't think we'll come back.

Room Tip: Make sure that a family of acrobats are not put in the room above you.
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (40)
Mount Pleasant, South Carolina
Reviewed October 30, 2013

- Manager unconcerned about guests, property issues or Marriott brand
- Manager too worried about partying with football fans in the lobby than assisting guests with their concerns
- Worst service we've ever had at a hotel
- Several rooms had mold, badly leaking showers, bugs, broken t-stats
- Rude, dirty, overpriced, loud
- DON'T STAY HERE!

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank TVW333
Media, Pennsylvania
Reviewed October 28, 2013

Upon arriving, the hotel looked pretty good-- more modern amenities, etc.

Upon check-in, was a bit surprised that Shannon didn't acknowledge my preferred Marriott status since most every Marriott property does that and notes your current point balance.

On my way out to dinner (5:40pm), I asked Dave at the front desk if someone could check the heat in the room since it felt chilly and the heat had not kicked in at all. I actually had to stand there for a few minutes to get his attention-- he wasn't serving another guest, but instead was busy bantering across the lobby with a guest about 25-cent tequila shots he had had once in Arizona. He did note my request and room number and commented that since I was going to be out for awhile, that would allow them to address it.

At 8:40pm, I called the desk to ask if they had checked the heat since my room was still chilly and the heat again has not kicked in. Shannon replied that she wasn't sure and she could send someone up at this point. I also let her know that when I turned the fan switch from auto to on, it only blows out cold air. She took quite the attitude with me. She informed me she was "writing down word-for-word" what we were saying, etc. I let her know that I was not happy with the option of being inconvenienced after returning when they had had over 2 hours to address things.

She called back to tell me that in fact the maintenance person had checked on things earlier and noted that yes my room was chilly but the heating system was functional. My response was that the room was still chilly several hours later. Throughout all of this, the unit displayed the room temperature as 75 degrees, yet both the maintenance man and I noticed how chilly the temperature was-- the thermostat was not registering the room temperature accurately, and they have the system locked down so that you can't set the set point temperature any higher than 76 (would normally be adequate, but not when the unit isn't functioning properly).

I first opted to just live with it for the one night I'm here, but reconsidered since the overnight low is predicted to be in the 30's.

I will not be staying in this property again!

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank CindeeP
Cooksville, Maryland
Reviewed October 26, 2013 via mobile

We stayed here for parents weekend for York College. The staff was so welcoming and friendly. Definitely will stay here again! Very clean and convenient. There is a great breakfast, they serve Starbucks and wine in the evening. You cannot go wrong with this hotel in York.

Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Natalie M
Carol Stream, Illinois
Reviewed October 19, 2013 via mobile

I was in town for training. The room was very clean. Bed was comfortable and had plenty of pillows of varying firmness. The whole place appeared to have been recently remodeled. The hotel bar area is a good meeting place and was very full every night. Overall a very pleasurable stay.

Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Larrythethird
Greenville, SC
Reviewed October 16, 2013

I really like this new Courtyard (I think it is new). It is super clean, modern, great location, good internet speed and everything. But then I took a shower and the water pressure was simply awful.

With that said as a loyal Marriott fan I would give the hotel another try and in all fairness, if I was staying more than 1 night I would have asked for another room.

Pros:
- location
-internet speed
-modern and clean
-service

Cons:
- water pressure

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank majones7
Seaside Heights, New Jersey
Reviewed September 19, 2013

This hotel had a great staff and is very modern looking. I stayed in a King bed room and it had a couch, coffee table, 32in TV, desk, and coffee maker. The bed was very comfortable.

The property also has coin operated laundry for guests. It is $1 for wash and $1 for dry. The soap and fabric softener is provided for free.

We stayed here on a recent trip to Hershey. The hotels near Hershey are quite expensive. This hotel was much more reasonably priced but it is a good 45 minute drive to Hershey. We thought it was a little bit closer.

As we were on a 1 week road trip we stayed in more "entry level" hotels along the way. This was the most "upscale" property we stayed in. Most noticeably is that the lower priced hotels included a hot breakfast (Choice Hotels) and this Marriott did not.

This hotel has an indoor pool and a back patio that they

create a fire in a fire pit each night. It is a nice place to gather in the evening and hand out.

There are no restaurants in very short walking distance. There is a Chipotle and Chili's close by (You could walk but they may be up to 1/2 mile away).

Bottom line - This hotel is friendly, clean and comfortable. In the future, I would shop price on other properties in the area.

I hope you find this review helpful!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple