“Clean and comfortable” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Courtyard York

Lowest prices for {0} - {1}
Enter dates for lowest prices
We check up to 200+ sites for the lowest hotel prices
Courtyard York
Ranked #12 of 25 Hotels in York
Ellicott City, Maryland
“Clean and comfortable”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 13, 2011

New hotel near mall on opposite side of Rt 30. Adjacent to an open air shopping center and rail-road tracks, yet not bothered by noise from either. Room was clean, staff was friendly and efficient.

Take note that the hotel has an onsite sandwich shop that also provides breakfast for a fee. The shop is very expensive! I'm hoping this isn't trend setting, as I am fairly use to the free continental breakfast (Fairfield Inn, Hampton Inn and Best Western).

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank jrzj42

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (40)
Rhode Island
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 7, 2011

The hotel is brand new and was nicely built. The customer service at the front desk could be improved. We called the front desk and for directions to the hotel and they could not give us directions from Route 30 which is the main route near the hotel. We were given the wrong directions and when we called back they acted like we were the ones with the problem. Upon check in we heard about how the employee had a "long day" also overheard her telling another hotel client who had a wash in the washing machine that was in mid cycle when the machine decided to stop working that maintenence wont be able to help out today and tomorrow is a holiday sorry - not sure what happened to the soaked clothes...

The room was clean and nice - again as mentioned in a previous review be extremely careful as the shower doors were built incorrectly - water pours all over the floor and it takes 2 full size towels to mop up. Also this location only provides coffee for free during "scheduled hours" - most Courtyards have the 24 hour coffee service which I have come to look for.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank royrogerswb
New York City, New York
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 15, 2011

We stayed here as we are Marriott Rewards members and I was looking forward to staying in a brand new hotel. While it may seem like it is in the middle of nowhere in particular, we really liked the location as it was close to everything we needed.

We were blessed with being able to have access to our room at 1pm - but like a previous reviewer we also had Alena check us in and she was nothing short of surly. It was the first time I have ever come across someone at a Marriott front desk who was like this. She was clearly disinterested in the job and didn't want to be there and was of no help whatsoever. Everyone else on the front desk who was there during our stay were lovely.

Everything else was beautiful - the room is decorated tastefully and very very clean. The lobby area is fantastic. We didn't get any food from there but if I had to I wouldn't hesitate. We really liked the bed and slept very well.

We also had the leaking shower issue and I couldn't believe that a hotel could be brand new and not have a properly sealed shower. We used two towels on the floor - it was a real mess.

I would stay here again - we loved the location. Maple Donuts is a donut place around the corner that was fantastic... also a good little diner across the road from that. We did some shopping at the mall and it was nice to discover a local area.

Once they deal with the customer service issues and the leaking showers, this place will be a real find!

• Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank TravelerNell
Syracuse, New York
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 7, 2011

I had to travel to York for business recently. Being a marriott rewards member I looked for a hotel and this was the only one in York. I saw it was new and thought how bad can this be? Read below for more info.

Check-in - no real problems here. Person seemed miserable in her job and basically handed me my key and didn't explain anything or even where the elevators were. It's ok I know its not hard to find the elevators, but you need good staff in your hotel that are helpful. The room itself was new. It's tastefully decorated and seemed like a great find. The bed wasn't really comfortable for a new hotel and felt very springy.

From a location perspective its not too bad of a spot. You are near a strip mall but it doesn't really provide any decent dining options, so you'll have to travel a bit for dinner.

This hotel clearly has a lot of kinks to work out. The housekeeping was horrible. See the picture of my "cleaned bathroom" yes that is a used washcloth in the corner from the previous day and stains on the floor of the shower. I also had to call down for additional toiletries as they were not replaced. The bathroom is a hazard and I almost killed myself. Apparently the door has a gap that leaks water out all over the floor during a shower. I had no idea as I had put a bathmat down but when I took a step towards the sink I slipped and fell (see picture). I called down to the front desk and she told me that they know about it and to put more towels down. No sorry you fell sir, just put more towels down. I'd expect a lot more from a courtyard.

They also apparently schedule a cleaning truck to clean out the kitchen weekly at 6am. I was woken up not by my alarm clock, but a loud truck outside my room (three floors down) that sounded like 100 vacuums outside my window. This went on for over thirty minutes right outside my room and I was unable to get back to sleep. I stopped down to ask the front desk what that was and they weren't even phased that it was there at 6 in the morning disturbing the guests. I thought surely it had to be an emergency situation (trying to give them the benefit of the doubt) but no, its routine and they didn't even offer an apology.

Couple the housekeeping issues with the horrible front desk staff, you will be better served elsewhere. I'd give them at least another year to work out the kinks as these are pretty major even for a relatively new hotel. Actually I wouldn't even bother. For the money you will spend here you can do much, much better.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled on business
5 Thank WorldTraverler73
Greensboro
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 31, 2011

This is the new Courtyard format. It has the new lobby, new touch info board, new cafe, new rooms. We were here during a tragedy with our family. This Courtyard has only been opened a few months. Check in was smooth, the clerks were freindly and we were in our rooms quickly. We were only here on night but my father stayed the remainder of the week. The hotel was very accomodating. The hotel is near a nice shopping center, Best Buy, Christmas store but few restaurants. Overall this is a winner so far. Best in York, IMO. Stay here.

Room Tip: Nothing this hotel is a few months old.
  • Stayed May 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank mel88hrman
Kentucky
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 22, 2011

First of all, we accidently booked this hotel. We thought we'd booked the one in Gettysburg; oops. Somewhere on the road, one of us looked at the reservation sheet and realized we'd booked York instead. Lucky us.

Upon arrival and checkin, we were upgraded to a suite. I have no idea how this happened. I don't care. The room was perfect--beds were great, the bathroom was roomy with a great showerhead, and it wasn't noisy. We stayed here three days and used it as a base for exploring Gettysburg, Hershey, and the Amish area. Breakfast had many different items and what I tried was tasty. Everyone was nice and friendly--on this entire epic trip, everyone was nice.

Courtyard is now officially competeing with Hyatt Place for my favorite American business chain hotel. This a new hotel, in a relatively new shopping area. There are plenty of chain resturants and shops nearby. It's a great place to stay, relax, and enjoy the area.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled with family
      Location
      Rooms
1 Thank BabeinWoods
Laurel, Maryland
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 16, 2011

We like Marriott Hotels so we went to this hotel for some R&R but was very disappointed. First the positive, new hotel, nice decor, clean room (apart from something black smeared on sheet) and clean bathroom.
Upon arrival, a young lady was smoking right beside the doors entering hotel. She did, however, move onto the side of the building when she saw patrons entering hotel. We later found out that this young lady was actually a sales associate of the hotel. We walked up to the check-in desk and were not greeted by anyone especially this said associate. Another associate, Matt, was checking in another customer. I noticed that he was a pleasant guy by his interaction with a patron. The young lady, Alena, working with us, never spoke, never smiled, and took the cash from my husband's hand without any manners at all. My husband asked "is everything ok because no one is smiling?!" excuses from Alena were " I just got here......we had a busy night last night!" Very unprofessional! I am not accustomed to entering a Marriot with bad customer service! They all later apologized, but still the same mood.
Secondly, the extended king room we had was over the elevator room and beside the elevators which loudly hummed constantly. Very annoying! Who can rest or sleep through that?
Third, we checked the room and sheets on the bed and saw something black smeared on the fitted sheet. At around 3:05 pm we asked the front desk to please send a housekeeper to change the sheet. We went swimming in the very small pool, relaxed in the jacuzzi, but needless to say at 6pm and 2 calls to the front desk, the sheet still was not changed. At that point we've had enough and checked out! Matt was very apologetic, but I would not recommend this hotel to my family and friends! Customer service is everything. Bad customer service= unhappy patrons!

Room Tip: Request a room away from elevators
  • Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple