“Mid way between Gettysburg and Lancaster”
Review of Econo Lodge

Econo Lodge
Ranked #20 of 25 Hotels in York
Syr. NY
“Mid way between Gettysburg and Lancaster”
Reviewed August 7, 2013

My husband daughter and granddaughter stayed 3 nights at the York Econo Lodge 222 Arsenal Road. It is about the same distance east to Gettysburg and west to Lancaster. You can get to both really easy by just getting on Route 30 which is in front of the hotel. The room was clean and well kept. The only complaints werethere was 4 of us and we were given (everyday) just 3 towels and the free breakfast wasn't much of anything. Cereal, coffee and packaged danish or muffins. There is a very good restaurant in front of the hotel which is where we ate our breakfast. I don't think they understood when we told them we needed more towels. The help was very nice though. We would definetly stay there again if we needed to go to either Gettysburg, Lancaster or even Hershey. It is very reasonably priced for the quality of the hotel.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank deesheep

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (23)
Reviewed July 24, 2013

WORST hotel experience in my life. Service was HORRIBLE. The employees were RUDE and you cannot understand a word they say. Each section of the hotel had its own unique, DISGUSTING smell. The rooms were HORRIFYING. We couldn't sleep under the covers because the sheets were that DIRTY. They looked like they hadn't been washed in months. Like the bed was just remade every time someone checked out. The shower leaked. To the point that the wall behind the shower was blowing out and the carpet about a foot around the bathroom was completely soaked. Therefore the whole room REEKED of mold and mildew. DO NOT STAY HERE!!

• Stayed July 2013
2 Thank narbogast83
kbp0123, General Manager at Econo Lodge, responded to this review, October 7, 2013
First let me apologize for your bad experience. I assure you this is not the norm for our hotel. I am not sure what room you stayed in but i would surely like to make it up to you and assure you would not have this experience again. I was very surprised to hear about the unfriendliness of our staff the most as I would vouch for any member of our hotel staff. With the info you left on this review there is no way for me to contact you. Please contact me directly at my personal email "kbp0123@gmail.com" and i will do my best address your issues, Thx for your feedback.

Travelers are raving about these York hotels

Crofton, Maryland
Reviewed July 15, 2013

I needed a modest price hotel to be near where family was camping near Gettysburg, PA. My king bed non smoking AAA rate room for two nights was about $120.00 total (including taxes, etc.). I had read that the hotel had new management and was part of the Choice hotels brand now. The location was convenient being at the intersection of interstate 83 and highway 30. My room was clean and met my needs for a place to sleep. The staff was very helpful and friendly. I could tell that the new management is trying to upgrade and improve the property and you could see the improvements. I would definitely recommend for people who just need a place to sleep and are daytripping during their stay.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
2 Thank Michelle D
Greenville, Michigan
Reviewed July 11, 2013

For the price, the Econo Lodge in York, Pennsylvania was great. I agree with Daytripper19-20 that the place was a little hard to find, it sits on top of a hill and you drive way up to get to the parking lot, but still no big deal.

The rooms were cleaned everyday, the staff did their best to make us feel welcome, a few of them may have had a problem with speaking English but you could tell that they were really trying to make your stay as pleasant as they could.

I enjoyed the refrigerator and microwave that was in my room, I would have liked to have had a coffee maker included but not a problem really.

We did have a problem with the WiFi in our room, it worked fine in the lobby. That may have been because we were using a smart phone and not a laptop.

They only thing that I would like to see them add is a hot breakfast rather than the "continental" one that was provided, but this is brand new management so maybe next year! For now, and again I agree with Daytripper19-20, the Round The Clock Diner has great food and is right at the bottom of the driveway.

Bottom line is, my son (Alex) and I stayed there for 5 days, we came for the 150th anniversary of Gettysburg. With everything taken into account, this was a nice place to stay. Then you add in the price, and it was a very nice place to stay. I will offer this place to any and all that are looking for clean and affordable!

Please tell the management and staff, Thank You from both of us! We really enjoyed our stay!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank Bill W
Bill we are glad you and your son enjoyed your stay with us. We constantly working on improving the hotel. We recently DOUBLED OUR WIFI SPEED with comcast so that should help with the bandwith. We are going to add HOT WAFFLES AND MORE FRUIT to the breakfast along with four types of cereal for our guests. BRAND NEW ECONO LODGE BEDDING is also on the way so we hope to see you again next time you are in the area.
USA---
Reviewed July 8, 2013

I had no problem with the rooms but the property seemed rather old. On top of a hill and parking lot was rather dim as I walked down hill to Round the Clock restaurant (very good food) in dark.
I will stay here again in future, I like the location and properties nearby.

Room Tip: Arrive early to get first floor rooms, seems like a lot of walking involved in mastering property.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
2 Thank Daytripper19-20
kbp0123, General Manager at Econo Lodge, responded to this review, July 9, 2013
Dear Daytripper,
Thx for your feedback and we are glad to hear you will be coming back. Thanks for letting us know about the parking lot light situation and we will definitely work on that as safety and lighting go hand in hand. You are correct on it being an older property and we are surely working on improving it. I'm sure you saw the microwaves, fridges, ironing board/irons, hair dryers we added to every room. We also opened up the balcony rooms on the second floor which people really seem to enjoy. We added new furniture this week to our 10' outdoor pool area. We will also be adding some picnic tables and a grill for some softball groups that will be coming next month. We hope to see you soon!!!

P.S. Glad you enjoyed the Diner at the bottom of the hill, now there is also a Starbucks, Qdobas and Cheddars that have opened up next to it :)))
PA
Reviewed July 6, 2013

Clean basic rooms. Good value. Pool was very clean. Easy access from major roads. We came to York to visit sprint car races. Ice was plentiful in machines. Towels plentiful by pool. Staff friendly. Is a good base for visiting Gettysburg, Hershey park, Harley factory, and outlet stores. A Sheetz located just across the road. Basic free continential breakfast.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank Susan D
kbp0123, General Manager at Econo Lodge, responded to this review, July 9, 2013
Dear Susan,
Thank you so much for your review. we appreciate the kind words and are constantly working on improving the property. We will be starting the process of changing the bedding and going to flat panel TVs this month. We just recently added new tables and umbrellas in our pool area. We hope to see you again to show the changes we are making, Thx
Louisa
Reviewed June 3, 2013

Second worst stay in my life. Reserved a NON-smoking room. Could not breathe. Like an ashtray. Had to sleep with a pillow on my face. After getting home to unpack, my duffle bag & all my belongings had to be washed because of the odor. NASTY!!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
kbp0123, General Manager at Econo Lodge, responded to this review, June 4, 2013
Dear Guest, first of all I would like to sincerely apologize for your negative experience at our hotel. We have recently acquired this abandoned property and doing our best to renovate it (As you can see bye the recent reviews posted). But I surely understand there is absolutely no excuse for your room to be as smoky as you described it. Since taking over the 92 room property, we split our hotel into non-smoking and smoking section buildings just so this sort of thing would not happen. I myself am recovering from cancer which had spread to my lungs (led to removal of one of my lungs) so I definitely relate to you when it comes to the smoke smell. I am not sure exactly what happened in your case, whether you were accidentally given a smoking room or maybe a previous guest may have smoked in a non-smoking room. Rest assured we will address the issue accordingly. We have also purchased an Ionizer recently so this does not happen in the future. Thank you for your feedback and we hope you will stay with us again and let us make it up to you. Please feel free to contact me personally at kbp0123@gmail.com.