“Don' trust cleaning staff.”

Homewood Suites by Hilton York
Ranked #4 of 26 Hotels in York
Reviewed May 1, 2011

Overall the hotel is very nice. Know this, do not trust the cleaning staff. I switched rooms during my stay and left a decent set if headphones by the tv. A few hours later when I asked the staff about them no one had seen them. I asked what the policy was when the cleaners found left behind items and was told they are to send to lost and found. There is obviously a problem.

• Stayed: May 2011
2  Thank JdgM3NT4L

Reviewed April 20, 2011

My family of five stayed here and loved it! We got a 2 bedroom suite with 1 king and 2 queens. There was lots of room to move around and it even had a living/kitchen area too. It was very clean and I liked that it was newer. The front desk girl was very nice and so were the maids. Wouldn't hesitate to stay here again!

• Stayed: April 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank seeingtheworld5
Reviewed March 24, 2011

I have to say that I was expecting a bit of a better experience, I have stayed in many different hotels throughout my travels, all of which have been pretty good and most with excellent custiomer service. This was not the case I ran into last night at this hotel. I had been on the road for nearly 19 hours and was looking pretty rough--I admit--but I never expected to be treated the way I was by the front desk representative. I had called the hotel to see if they had any rooms available as I was just minutes from them as I was traveling down the highway. I was informed they did have rooms available and I was given a quote for a King Suite Studio at a discounted rate, as I am an AAA member. I was informed that I could book the room now, but as I was driving, I did not want to fumble with my CC, and I informed the Customer service rep that i was just minutes from the hotel asked if I could get the same rate by walking in. She informed me that would not be a problem. When I arrived, just moments after hanging up with the Rep, I walked in the front doors to the service desk to get a room. I was greeted by a very unfriendly front desk staff. He had the tone and look of..."What are you doing in this hotel? You don't belong here." I informed him that I just spoke to Jamie on the phone, just moments before and that I was needing a room. He got on his computer and gave me a different quote. I explained to him that I was litterally just on the phone with Jamie, who was very nice and helpful, that she stated there were rooms available at that disc. price and it would not be an issue for me to just walk in. He stated, "I do not have any rooms at that price and all he had was bedroom suites at a higher price. Jamie is new and probably didn't give you the right quote." I stated I may take my business elsewhere. He then stated, "Alright, have a good night" with sarcastic tone in his voice. I then walked out to my car, grabbed my laptop, and proceeded to the Hilton reservation website. What did I find, you may ask?? I found the room and the rate that I was quoted available from Jamie. I booked the room, walked back into the front desk and asked for my room key for the room i just booked from hilton website--you know, the ones that he didn't have available. He looked at me and said, "I wasn't trying to do anything underhanded." I asked him for my key, took his name, and went to my room. After this experience, I think I will probably stick to my Marriotts or other hotels other than Hilton. I've never felt so mistreated/judged in all my travels.

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled solo
3  Thank I_am_Celt
Reviewed February 7, 2011

Because of dietary and budget issues, we like to stay in a hotel with a kitchenette. Hilton's Homewood Suites are the best of all the various chains we have tried. Some are better than others. It was our first time at this Homewood. What was missing from our room was the usual easy chair and the desk and chair in the bedroom. Our room was accessible. Perhaps that was the reason for the omission. But other Homewood suites do provide them in accessible rooms. Housekeeping could use a bit of improvement. In order to eat our dinner the first night, we had to wash the glasses and cutlery first. The light in the kitchen ceiling, between the dishwasher and fridge was burned out, making it difficult to see the controls of the dishwasher. We left a note for housekeeping the next day. When we returned to our room that evening, the bulb had not been replaced. When I called housekeeping, all I got was a recording. A call to the front desk got results. Someone came up immediately to change the bulb. A dish rag and dish soap were not provided so we could clean up in between dishwashings. We had to use a washcloth. We never could make it clear to the housekeeper what dish soap was. We kept getting more dishwasher soap. The drinking glasses in the bathroom were not changed. Instead, the cleaning person replaced the little white caps on dirty glasses, mixing up the two. That sounds minor, but I was recovering from the flu and did not want to pass possible lingering germs on to my husband. And we had no dish soap with which to to wash them. After that, we put the glasses in the dishwasher in the morning. These issues are minor, compared to an occurrence that happened one morning of our stay.

My husband was downstairs getting breakfast and I was getting dressed when the fire alarm went off. Since we were on the third floor and do have a knee problem, I didn't want to walk down all the flights of stairs for nothing. When it did not stop, I got dressed, grabbed our coats and took the stairs down to the first floor. The hallway from the stair to the lobby was blocked by the cleaning carts and staff, making it very difficult to pass around. If this had been a real fire, it could have had serious repercussions. When I did get to the lobby/breakfast area, families with children in their PJs were milling around, wondering what to do. Finally an employee went over to the families and spoke to them. She walked right past me without a word. Two employees were standing behind the front desk smiling, but not giving out any information. I had to find out from them about the situation. I would recommend that the management work on its emergency procedures in case there really is a need to evacuate the building.

Except for the above incidents, it was a nice stay. A quiet location, easy to get in and out of. Comfortable rooms. Just a few improvements to give it a four-star rating.

• Stayed: December 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank RamblinRose60
melmyers, General Manager at Homewood Suites by Hilton York, responded to this reviewResponded February 12, 2011

We are very sorry we were not able to provide you with the quality of amenities you deserve. Because vacations are very important, we try hard to make sure all our guests have a rewarding experience at Homewood Suites. I will be reaching out to you in order to make this right.

Reviewed January 16, 2011

The Homewood Suites is a great place to stay in York for business or pleasure. I stayed for four nights on a business trip and could not have been more pleased. Front desk staff was friendly and professional during check-in and check-out and even helped me with directions and a map to local shopping. My room was a studio suite with a living area (sofa) and kitchenette and was clean, quiet, and comfortable. Breakfast and dinner options were always good. The ladies running the mealtimes were friendly and made sure each food station was stocked. The hotel also has workout facilities and a pool, but I did not use either. I travel a lot for work, and this was one of my best hotel experiences. I'd definitely stay here again if I was ever to return to York.

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled on business
1  Thank DCTraveler2011
Reviewed November 24, 2010

My husband and I had a great experience here. ( And we are two Fuss Budgets) We were here for the wine trail event around York county. The staff was friendly and knowlegeable. Matt, Derick and a lady (didn't get her name) gave us valuable information to help us make the most of our short trip. The suite was beautifully decorated with quality appointments, linens etc., spacious and immaculate with a full kitchen and king size (very comfortable) bed. The hot breakfast buffet was delicious with eggs benedict, sausage, and wonderful walnut muffins baked in parchment paper. Can not say enough---oh and the heated pool was a delite! thanks--hope to be back soon!

• Stayed: November 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank llchateau
Reviewed November 17, 2010

This was the third hotel we stayed in on our October mini road trip. This is by far the best hotel we've ever stayed in whilst in America. The staff are very helpfull and polite regardless of what job they do.The restaurant was very good and well presented. The rooms are massive and well equipped, very clean and tidy. The rooms are nicely decorated, perfect for a long stay.
We cant say enough about this hotel, you wont be dissapointe,. we even tried to cancel our next Staybridge hotel so that we could with Homewood again,

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled as a couple