“best meal in forever!!”

Ranked #11 of 463 Restaurants in York
Good for: Romantic
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed February 3, 2013

After reading some of the most recent reviews, I was skeptical about trying this restaurant. I'm so very happy that I took the chance as I had one of the best meals in a long time. If you enjoy mussels, you MUST try the Moules Frites as they were spectacular!! My only suggestion to make that certain menu item even better would be to serve a crusty loaf of bread to sop up the delictable juices. While thin sliced bread was served, a crusty loaf would have been so much better with the mussel dish. My husband had the Chicken Saltimbocca and enjoyed it tremendously. The couple we dined with also enjoyed their meal albeit, their fries did not come at the same time as the main course... not a big deal, just somewhat curious. The very best dessert that I have even had was a light sponge type cake with the most delictable creamy custard - when I say it was the best dessert I ever had, I mean it!!! My ONLY issue has to do with the atmosphere... The restaurant was filled when we arrived at 6:30ish. It was so loud as to be almost unbearable. I'm convinced that a great number of Americans [and I can say that as I am one] do not know how to dine quietly. As the night worn on and the room empied, the noise level became much more bearable. Our wait staff was professional, and, for the most part, very attentive. We will definitely be back, although, probably not on a weekend night in an effort to escape the extremely night noise level!

3  Thank Carol B

Reviewed January 25, 2013

They have recently moved to the new location on East Market Street. This provides them with a ten fold upgrade on the number of seats, which is great. They have also acquired a liquor license, and their wine list is decent. You can BYOB for a corking fee. The experience was wonderful. The food is top notch French cuisine. The escargot is to die for. The owner/chef came out multiple times to check on us, which gave a nice feel to the meal seeing that he takes pride in his food. There are very few finer dining establishments in York. This one must be checked out!

2  Thank mwallerius
Reviewed December 25, 2012

Looking at the location and building, you would never guess that it houses a French-type bistro. The interior is clean and simple and welcoming. All service is table service. No booths. Though the space is small, they can accommodate large groups.

In the past, I would have been hard pressed to choose one thing from the menu that I liked, as I liked most everything. Bread arrived warm and lovely chilled butter accompanied it. The entrees were good and the specials even better. Sadly, that all seems to have changed.

I had not been for several years until recently and found the food to be nothing like it had been on my other, wonderful visits. As another reviewer stated, the bread was cold and hard and the butter, nothing more than tasteless, yellow, saturated fat. My dining partner's salad arrived with tired greens and with much too much dressing. My mussels were good, but I can now get good mussels at several other restaurants (or easily fix them at home). They didn't overcome the overall bad experience and disappointment I felt. The service was also impersonal and somewhat slow, considering we were practically the only people in the place.

I stopped one day recently to pick up food for my mother, who is unable to get out easily. In the past, she loved it when I would come with a bag from Blue Heron. This time, she tried to play down her disappointment, but it was obvious that her food was not up to par either.

I too had recommended this restaurant to many in the past. I would warn friends now, that the last several times I stopped, I was disappointed. I may give them one more try (longing for the past goodness, I suppose), but if I do, I will state up front that I had been disappointed in the past and was hoping to be excited once again about their food.

5  Thank Paciano12
Reviewed December 11, 2012

Sometimes when a restaurant changes locations, it is not as good. Well, not this one! This move made great, even better! Still the excellent food in a better atmosphere!

2  Thank HB1008
Reviewed October 30, 2012 via mobile

I knew it was a problem when the owner threw the wait staff under the bus and said "the duck was tough? ....they should have given you a steak knife!" It could not be cut with a steak knife either and my wife sent it back (which she has only done twice in 25 years) They did take it off the check.

I had heard good things about this place and figured someone from Normandy would know canard Not going back.

5  Thank UpInTheAirPotomac_MD