“Exceptionally RUDE employees who give out FALSE PRICING information to lure customers in”
Review of Shady Brook Farm

Shady Brook Farm
Ranked #1 of 4 things to do in Yardley
More attraction details
Owner description: Shady Brook Farm, one of the last working farms in historic Bucks County, PA, is THE place for family fun. In addition to our pick-your-own crops, great seasonal events and festivals, our Farm Market is open year ’round and stocks all your farm fresh produce, deli, dairy, and gardening needs. We carry specialty foods; gift items, and can create spectacular gift baskets. We are also home to the delicious Uncle Dave’s Homemade Ice Cream and have a kiosk featuring locally made Rose Bank Wines. Our huge nursery and Garden Center is the best place for quality trees, shrubs, bedding plants, annuals, perennials, mulch, and expert advice. Come see what we have in store for you!
Useful Information: Bathroom facilities, Activities for young children, Food available for purchase
Reviewed October 8, 2012

Let me first begin by saying that October 6, 2012 was my FIRST trip to Shady Brook Farm for the Fall Fest. I do not have internet access at home (as it is I am writing this from a friend's computer), so I called to inquire about admissions pricing, what was included/not included in the admissions, etc. I was informed by the woman I spoke with that the price was $12/person, and that EVERYTHING in the Fall Fest was INCLUDED at NO additional charge upon paying for admission. She went on to list what was included: wagon rides, inflatables for kids to bounce on, face painting, pony rides, pig races, corn maze, sand art, etc. I thought this to be a great deal and thanked her, and took my kids to Shady Brook. When we got there, I paid $48 for 2 out of my 3 children, as there is actually no charge for 2 and under,amazingly that part turned out to be true; my mother, and myself. I only had $20 more with me for food, as I was informed there were NO additional charges inside. The gate where we purchase our tickets is where the congenial and nice attitude of the employees ended. I was met with ignorance and rude attitude from every employee I interacted with. First was when several customers complained to the food stand that there were NO prices listed on her sign, simply what was offered. We were told "not to tell an employee what to do, and take our attitude up with a manager". We were not rude about this, we were polite as can be, and in hindsight, that should have been my "red flag" to hightail it out of there! It only got worse from there. Ever event I took my children to, they were charging for, and the employees were ignorant to me about why I was confused! I apologized what seemed like a million times, explaining it was my first time there, and reiterating what I told on the phone by a SHADY BROOK employee! Within an hour I'd had enough and as we were leaving, I spoke to a manager. This "manager" looked like she was about 19 years old and had the attitude of a snobby 16 year old. I was actually called a LIAR, that no one at Shady Brook would EVER tell someone such information about pricing, and "how DARE I suggest her employees would have a rude attitude". I responded with "yes, it must be shocking, considering YOU have one too and just called a customer a liar!". What was obviously a misunderstanding about pricing quickly turned into employees being exceptionally rude, and it just escalated out of control. Had they been nice and congenial about it, things would have been much different. Perhaps the woman I spoke with was new or had wrong information; why is that so hard to say? Maybe she is not new, and they lure customers in by lying about ticket price. Sadly I am believing the latter now, due to terrible attitude of them all! Let me just say that it's obvious much of the attractions inside were NOT included; however, I had no way of knowing that, considering it was my first time to their Fall Fest, and I was sadly misinformed when I called.

Bottom line: Shady Brook Farm is called "Shady" for a reason. Apparently they have no problem LYING to customers about admissions ticket price, and then cop an attitude when they are called on it. I would not recommend Shady Brook Farm to ANYONE, unless you want to waste tons of $$ and be treated like dirt.

6  Thank Dawn H

Reviewed October 1, 2012

Let me first begin by saying if I had rated Shady Brook Farm at any point over the last 10 years, the reviews would have fluctuated between a 4 and a 5...We live in New Jersey and drive over an hour and a half twice a year every year for the past 10 years for Horror Fest and the Christmas lights display.. We were so excited to kick off this Halloween season this weekend, but it was a HUGE dissapointment, and not the Shadybrook we are used to. First of all, the prices were raised. It costs 18$ JUST to do 1 attraction...Ok, it's Halloween time, and this is our favorite holiday, so the price jump didn't really get to us THAT much, but still worth a mention...After we waited on the half hour line to purchase our tickets just for the hayride (my child was too afraid to do anything else, so we purchased the 1 attraction ticket) we noticed that they added security this year to check your bags...Fine, it's nice to feel safe...EXCEPT he had no flashlight in the dark dark entrance to the area where the attractions are, yet he noticed that I had one mini bottle of water (kid size, what you put in a child's lunch box) and I was told "Can't bring any outside food or drinks" I explained it was for my child who needs to take medication every night at the same time. I was told "toss it or leave" really nice after paying 54$ for 3 people to ride on a hayride. Whatever, I sucked it up and threw out the water....Fine....We proceeded to the bonfire area to wait for it to get a tad darker before getting online for the hayride...Something we've always looked forward to previous years....I don't know what it was this year, but it seemed everyone and their mother were smoking. Even in an open field type of environment, we could find no fresh air. It was unbelievable.. I understand some people "can't possibly" spend a coupld of hours with their family without a cigarette, but ShadyBrook farm should provide those people with a designated smoking area, like other attractions do. It's not fair for everyone else... Even workers in red Shady Brook Farm aprons were seen smoking. I found that unbelievable. because we couldn't enjoy the fire due to the tremendous cigarette smoke, we got on line for the hayride. We were so excited because we love Shady Brooks hayride....Not anymore. The economy has clearly affected Shadybrook because there were less actors, more packed/overly crowded wagons and the hayride which seemed to be 45 minutes previous years was DEFINITELY cut short. There was a worker on the wagon to "make sure everyone followed the rules" but he didn't seem to mind the constant movement of the young teens/tweens while the wagon was in motion, or the foul foul language I would be embarassed to repeat coming from the kids, or the use of the iphones to provide light in dark areas......My husband and I were just disgusted......The magic of Shady Brook Farm is gone for us....They have gone down hill, even to the point of having commercialized vendors this year, like the Pretzel Factory, instead of fun home made treats. We even got a hot dog, and it was easy to see they have downsized in the quality of everything. My daughter's hotdog was skinny and brown. Even the scare-ee-okee DJ who is usually decked out in skeleton make up every year was in sweats and a t shirt...Whattt???? We are just so dissapointed, and i don't even know if I'd go back for the Christmas lights to be honest. that's how bad it was this year at Horror Fest. If youl ive local and don't mind breathing in cigarette smoke no matter where you go, give it a shot...If you live farther than 20 minutes away SKIP IT!

5  Thank Singx19
Reviewed August 20, 2012

When ever I go to the farm, I always get a small container of Marie/s (or maria/s) salsa...it is the best ever. The farm has all kinds of things going on..pick your own raspberries is another favoriate of mine. Fruits, veggies, flowers, pavers, wine, ice cream ....just go and check it out yourself.
Oh and during the winter holidays they have a rather pricey drive in light show...ive never been but have seen some of the displays from the raspberry field but not lit up.

1  Thank rivernan
Reviewed August 19, 2012

It is fun to try the events-- hay ride, paint ball, s'mores, glow in the dark, and other haunted things! I think there are day time kid things to do... I also went one time at Christmas for the lights and the shopping!!!!

1  Thank Mineral2004
Reviewed August 3, 2012

This is a family tradition of ours. We enjoy Shady Brook Farm's holiday light display every year. Even since we've moved, we still drive the 3 hours to come back and visit and see the lights. It's a wonderful "up close" drive through light experience. A lot of the light shows these days are beautiful, but kind of far away. All the lights seem so up close in this display. I love the 12 days of Christmas portion. Our whole car always sings the 12 Days of Christmas as we go through. You can also go inside and meet Santa and get hot chocolate and other goodies.

2  Thank Thebean28