“Stay in the Tower”

Crowne Plaza Hotel Reading
Ranked #1 of 7 Hotels in Wyomissing
Reviewed November 28, 2011

I stayed here in September 2011 while visiting family. My first room was in the basement - it had spiderwebs, smelled damp and had a view of dirt (the basement is partially underground and I was looking up at the ground level). I called the front desk and they moved me to a room in the tower. What a difference! I think the tower rooms are recently remodeled. They are beautiful, clean and spacious. The bed was very comfortable. The hotel is convenient to major highways, restaurants and shopping. I will definitely stay here again.

Room Tip: Ask for the tower
  • Stayed: September 2011, traveled with family

Reviewed November 24, 2011

LOVE this hotel!!!! The place is absolutely gorgeous. It has a fashion scheme which entails different hallways of all the major cities: New York City, Milan, Paris...etc., and the ballrooms are also named accordingly after the most prominent designers: Dior, Armani, Chanel...etc. The decorations are beautiful and elegant and the location is wonderful. It's right off the highway (easy to find) and there are plenty of shopping/dining options right on location. Not to mention the amazing bar and restaurants...! Beautiful.

Our room is exceptional and the staff was very welcoming, helpful, and kind. Craig, Eric Brown, and the front desk lady Jacqueline all added to making this getaway a fantastic one. We will be coming back!!! Definitely recommend staying here!

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed November 20, 2011

I have stayed at this Crowne Plaza outside of Reading, PA a few times with business in the area. Most of the time I stay in the regular rooms but this past week selected the Crowne Room area with a suite. This area is supposedly quieter and nicer. It cost approx $30-40 / night = avg $140/nt which is not cheap in today's competitive market of hotel shopping. If you are able to get a breakfast coupon free for each morning this does add some value as the selection is good with someone there to make eggs/omelets and provide good service. Perhaps this is a $10-12/day value to consider. Wi-fi is spotty at best with each day but does not cost extra.

I did not find the extra cost justified for the Crowne area and some new vision into this hotel management would bring positive change. Management staff should focus on the following:

Pros:
Good location
Nicer hotel for area
Some food / bar / entertainment options

Cons:
Dated - smell is an issue in regular rooms
WiFi - a must to improve as area is business and not casual or vacation spot
Price - too high for area / type

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled on business
IHGCare, Guest Relations Case Manager at Crowne Plaza Hotel Reading, responded to this reviewResponded November 21, 2011

Dear 1string,

Thank you for your feedback. We take our guest comments very seriously and always strive to provide comfortable and friendly accommodations. The WiFi was giving many of our guest’s issues and I'm grateful you brought this to our attention. I really appreciate your comments; I hope we get the opportunity to show you some of our improvements on your next trip to Reading.

Katie J
Case Manager
IHG Care

Reviewed November 14, 2011

Stayed for a girlfriends getaway. The rooms and the beds were really comfortable. The quiet atmosphere allowed us to relax in peace. The staff were so pleasant - from the front desk, to the restaurant, to Goodnites club, to the shuttle, etc. Would highly recommend it.

Room Tip: Level 2 is good as this is the same floor as the main lobby - no steps or elevators to get to the r...
Reviewed November 14, 2011

Recently stayed at this hotel for two nights, Nov. 11th and 12th. Walking through the smokers ten feet from the door is gross and disgusting. Leaves were everywhere and are a tripping hazard at the front door. Desk clerk on phone (personal call) and in no hurry to help check-in. The ABSOLUTE worst breakfast bar service I have encountered anywhere in the world and price is INSANE. After paying for breakfast, I get notified that breakfast is free with coupon but was never told this at check-in. Tried getting monies returned that were paid but that wasn't going to happen in this lifetime. Nobody is ready to help and you have to ask for coffee service and water. I would also like to not have the silly canned response from the customer service people as their words mean nothing. I now know why I stay at Marriott.

Room Tip: Suites are fine and rooms are clean but skip breakfast.
  • Stayed: November 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed November 14, 2011

I stayed here for a Girlfriend Getaway weekend the service was wonderful. The beds were comfortable and the rooms were clean. When we had an issue with something not working in our room the manager personally came to our room with the maintenance guy to make sure it our issue was attended to and also gave us complementary passes for a free refreshments. The staff was very accommodating and attentive. I would recommend this hotel to friends and I am definitely looking forward to going back next year or just going back for a long weekend.

Reviewed November 13, 2011

A group of friends recently booked 3 rooms here when celebrating our mutual friend's 50th birthday. This is a very large hotel near a shopping area / business center in the Reading PA area. The rooms were clean and spacious, and the beds & bedding were super comfortable. I slept very well. The lobby was bright and attractive, and there was a much nicer than expected large & lovely indoor pool. If I ever stay here again I would definitely bring a bathing suit. Only complaints were minor - you could hear some traffic noise, the bathroom looked a little dated, and the water pressure & hot water were somewhat lacking in the AM. We visited the bar lounge which was pretty busy with both locals and out of owners (this was on a Saturday night). A DJ blared (and I mean BLARED) nonstop Hip Hop music which made it impossible to carry on a conversation. There was a small dance floor but not many people dancing (I blame the "music" :-) We eventually moved our party back upstairs which was MUCH better! Overall I would certainly recommend this as a hotel, but not as a night spot (unless you enjoy Hip Hop anyway).

Room Tip: Rooms away from the highway might be quieter
  • Stayed: November 2011, traveled with friends
Also consider these accommodations in or near Wyomissing
Homewood Suites by Hilton Reading
Doubletree by Hilton Hotel Reading
Fairfield Inn & Suites Reading Wyomissing
Courtyard Reading Wyomissing
Holiday Inn Express Reading
Hampton Inn Reading/Wyomissing

Been to Crowne Plaza Hotel Reading? Share your experiences!