“Good Food, Nice Place for A Change”

Anthony's Coal Fired Pizza
Ranked #21 of 72 Restaurants in Wyomissing
Cuisines: Italian, Bar, Pizza, Pub
Good for: Families with children, Kids
Newville, Pennsylvania
“Good Food, Nice Place for A Change”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 10, 2014

If you have never had coal fired pizza it is thin crust and tends to be crispy. I have had coal fired pizza before and while it was good, it was not the best that I have had which was in Clearwater, FL and a place called Cristino's Coal Oven Pizza.

The food was good here at Anthony's and a nice change of pace from the normal pizza found in the area. The store is located in a shopping mall complex but easily found. They are very accommodating since they offer to let you have one half of the pie as one kind and the other half as a different kind.

My only complaint was they were a little slow and we were eating early. A coal fired pizza cooks at a much higher temperature but it took longer than I expected for it to arrive. Maybe because they were pushing their chicken wings and offering free samples. They were good, but nothing that would make me order them when I visit again. I ordered unsweet ice tea and it came in a bottle which I was a little surprise at.

I will definitely be eating here again as it is a good stop prior to heading of to events at the nearby Santander Arena.

• Visited February 2014

Reading, PA
“Good Pizza, not much else”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 8, 2014

The pizza, a thin crust coal fired type, was very good. That's the best I can say about the place.

We arrived approximately at 5:30 and were immediately seated without wait. Our server came quickly and we ordered our drinks and our food (a small cheese pizza and a small pizza with sausage, pepperoni, onions and sweet peppers). Drinks arrived promptly and then we began our wait. And wait, and wait. A couple and a family of four who were seated after us received their pizzas, and still we waited.

At 6:15, we asked a manager about our pizzas. He sent the waitress back to apologize for not explaining the wait time for the pizzas. That didn't make sense since people who came in AFTER us had received their pizzas. Then another server brought us a tray and said our pizzas would be coming shortly. At approximately 6:30 we received our small pizza with toppings. It was almost another 5 minutes before we received the small cheese pizza.

The manager came over and made more excuses. He then brought us a complimentary serving of meatballs, after we told him that time was now an issue. The manager came back again as we were getting ready to pay our bill, and with much hand wringing made excuses and blamed everything on the server for not putting our order in on time. We said BS. He's the manager and it is HIS responsibility. Even if it was the server's fault his job as the manager is to make things right.

Beers are expensive - $6-7 apiece. No fountain drinks - you get a cup of ice and a bottle of a coke product. They assumed my 13-1/2 year old was a child - he got a styrofoam cup with a lid. He was not happy. One server tried to give our 15 yo a beer!

Cost for 2 12" pizzas, 1 beer and 2 sodas - $42. NOT WORTH IT

General thoughts about the place - The door to the restaurant opens directly outside. With every door opening patrons are blasted with arctic air.

Parking - this restaurant is located in a small strip mall with very limited parking. Parking may not be available for weekday lunch, evenings and weekends.

If the manager had offered to comp us for our time instead of bringing out two meatballs, we might have considered going back. His obviously lack of interest in taking care of his diners has turned us off from ever returning.

• Visited February 2014