“Average food at above average prices”
Review of Seafood Shanty - CLOSED

Seafood Shanty
Cuisines: Seafood
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed August 5, 2013

Overall it was a disappointing Saturday night out.

The service was very good, our waitress was very attentive and everything was done quickly and efficiently. The other staff members were also very friendly and went out of their way to greet us. The decor is somewhat drab, it's a dark colors all around and not many interesting decorations.

I decided on the 4 course meal. Things started with the bread basket, warm rolls that were outstanding! I decided on the Narragansett clam chowder, there were plenty of tender clams, unfortunately it was so salty that it killed the enjoyment. Next up was the caesar salad, you could tell it was made with very little effort. The dressing was pooled mostly in the bottom of the bowl and the lettuce was mostly tasteless. The main entree was the stuffed flounder. With the 4 course meal the size of the entree is reduced, which is a great idea, but I wished it had been bigger as it was the best part of the meal. The flounder was tasty as was the stuffing. I did find a couple of small pieces of shell in the stuffing but no big deal. Too bad I couldn't say the same for my side, the roasted vegetables. They were limp and tough, obviously had been sitting around for a while and had been reheated. Folks, you are charging far too much for reheated "roasted vegetables". The dessert I selected was the flourless chocolate cake. It was good, middle of the road. Nothing to write home about but I enjoyed it.

I would recommend you skip this spot unless you have a serious craving for seafood.

Reviewed July 29, 2013

Took my son and a party of six to lunch on a Sunday afternoon to celebrate his birthday. Three had the steamer pots, one had a custom made plate of chicken and crabcakes and the rest had perfectly steamed snow crab. Our server was wonderful, I wish I could remember his name. I had gone to the Seafood Shanty in Lebanon years ago and was expecting something a bit more old school and dark. I was very pleased with the new incarnation of the Seafood Shanty...one nibble and I'm STILL hooked

Reviewed July 27, 2013

I have been to this restaurant almost 10 times since it first opened and for the most part the food has been good so my husband and I keep coming back. The prices are a little high so we usually only go when we find the BOGO free lunch or dinner coupons that are in the local newspaper. The house dressing is amazing and the crab cakes are delicious however I did try the pasta on one occasion and found it be really bland and unappetizing. What is really sad is that many menu items have suddenly started disappearing in an effort for the owner to cut costs (he did just file Chapter 11 Bankruptcy) and many of these items are what made Seafood Shanty special (home made oyster crackers with horseradish sauce, etc.) Some of the desserts are not that great either, especially the chocolate mousse which tastes like chocolate Jello pudding spooned into a weird mini pie crust that was obviously not made in house. The bathroom is really weird too - well I've only been in the woman's room but it's always freezing cold, no one ever bothers to put the soap containers in the dispensers and the water pressure in the sink is a ridiculous joke. I think someone drooling on my hand would create more water pressure than what comes out of the tap. It takes almost 5 minutes to get the soap off your hands. Aside from those complaints I have always received good service from the waitstaff, especially our favorite waiter Michael who is one of my favorite waiters of all time. (I am in no way related to him - he just makes dining seem classier). He used to work at Emily's and Seafood Shanty made a smart decision when it hired him.

Reviewed July 25, 2013 via mobile

I was excited to hear that seafood shanty was reopening With some of the original recipes.

The restaurant seemed unorganized our wait time for food was way too long.

We were looking forward to a good seafood meal Instead what we received was a mediocre meal and small portions for high prices.

Disappointed skip this one

1  Thank Curiouspb
Reviewed July 6, 2013

This was our first visit and now our last. Decor is pleasant (that's the good part of the review). My husband's appetizer came out first. The salads came out immediately after. My appetizer didn't come out until my husband was almost finished his and I had already started my salad. We were never offered or brought bread, nor were there any side dishes. Some of the lettus in the salads were bad. The lobster was the oddest lobster we have ever had. I'm not sure why but it disintegrated in your mouth like mush (?????). Incredibly expensive for the quality of food. Served lacked any personality. Someone kept dropping plates in the background. The table and booth were sticky and one of the glasses was dirty. We paid our bill, filled out a comment card, and when we left we noticed the floor was absolutely filthy too.

1  Thank Christina F