“Unsettling Experience”

Holiday Inn Express & Suites Wyomissing
Ranked #6 of 7 Hotels in Wyomissing
Reviewed April 17, 2014

I stayed at the Country Inn & Suites in Wyomissing, PA on April 7, 2014, checking out the following morning. I found the room to be adequate. However, while drinking my first cup of coffee before checking out, I noticed chunks of brown something floating in my coffee. I placed this cup on the counter and tried a different carafe. After drinking much of my second cup, I tilted the cup and noticed brown something covering the entire bottom of this coffee cup. I then took both cups to the front desk to show them -- their response was "ooh." When I returned to my office in Pittsburgh that afternoon, I called the hotel and asked to speak with the manager. The manager was not in, and so I left my name and phone number expecting to receive a return call. No such return call was made. I made two additional calls, but the manager was never in. This experience was very unsettling to me to think what might have been in the coffee cups. My job has required me to travel for almost thirty years, and this has not happened before. Hotel dwellers beware. Bryan Borres Export, PA

Stayed: April 2014, traveled on business
5  Thank Bryan B
CarlsonRezidor, Online Customer Care at Holiday Inn Express & Suites Wyomissing, responded to this reviewResponded April 22, 2014

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback. We apologize for the dissatisfaction of your stay. We take the time to listen to your constructive comments. We certainly apologize for your frustrations regarding the coffee. Your review gives us the opportunity to correct any deficiencies we may have in our service. We hope for another opportunity to exceed your expectations.

Reviewed March 31, 2014

Found this hotel on Reading Hospital's site under lodging suggestions. It is just under a mile from the hospital.

Extremely kind and attentive people (Dominic - reservations, Heather - regional manager, Dave - maintenance) helped me make long distance arrangements for a relative to stay there the night before a surgery. They offered a choice between a specially discounted room or a suite AND they made advance special arrangements for an employee to drive her to the hospital since she had to be there by 6am, before shuttle service starts. That's a "5+" rating right there in my book.

My relative said her accommodations were very nice. She enjoyed the hotel's jacuzzi and dinner at the restaurant next door.

We are very grateful to Country Inn & Suites. Everything was perfect. If you want a place to stay near Reading Hospital, look no further.

Room Tip: For hospital-related stays, make arrangements directly with the location at 610-373-444
Stayed: March 2014, traveled solo
Reviewed March 9, 2014

Stayed here as a getaway in the jacuzzi suite and it beautiful clean Even came with bubble bath and chocolates room also came with a DVD player didn't bring a movie but over all very homie and romantic loved it

• Stayed: March 2014
CountryInnStesWyo, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express & Suites Wyomissing, responded to this reviewResponded March 14, 2014

Thank you for your feedback and for taking the time to write about your experience. We are delighted to read that you enjoyed your stay in our whirlpool suite. We look forward to your next stay.
Thanks again and we hope to see you back with us very soon!

Reviewed February 24, 2014 via mobile

The rooms are clean, the pool was nice good to be able to relax in the hot tub after a long day, the breakfast was awsome, fresh fruit and make your own waffles, loved it. i would recomend this place to anyone passing through.

Stayed: February 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank Echarb

Thanks so much for your kind comments about your stay with us. We loved having you here. I hope you will come back to us again soon!

Reviewed January 8, 2014

Stayed here for about $60 less a night than another hotel in the area. Room was comparable, but my stay here included breakfast, standard continental with a couple hot pre-made items, omelets, home fries, and make your own waffles. The other more expensive place, no free breakfast.
Fastest hotel wireless I have seen, big plus as I was here on biz, and do not want to be waiting around for pages to load before hitting the sack for the night or just before I need to leave in the AM.
Free cookies, coffee, and tea available in the lobby for guests.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled on business
2  Thank Lrrs

We really appreciate your kind comments about your stay. We think we are a great value and it's wonderful when our guests view us that way as well. I hope you return to us soon!

Reviewed December 28, 2013

Our family booked two rooms at this property just outside of Reading, for a short trip to visit Koziar's Christmas Village. Checking in was very efficient, with exceptional service from "Dominick" who was very knowledgeable. He even left us a message before we got to our room, to check on us to make sure all was well when we arrived in our room. Cookies, hot chocolate, hot apple cider, coffee and teas were offered in the very comfortable lobby. We enjoyed the sitting area with fireplace while family checked us into our rooms, and the two 6 year old grandchildren enjoyed books from the hotel's library. Everything was clean from beginning to the end of our visit. Our rooms were nice and the beds comfortable with plenty of heat. The hotel was quiet. Our room had room-darkening curtains, along with a microwave and fridge. The bathroom was on the small side, but there was plenty of hot water for everyone's showers. Breakfast was good which included a wafflemaker, eggs, sausage, yogurt, cold cereals, pastries, and a selection of breads which could be toasted. Great selection of drinks, and lots of seating. There was a children's table where they could sit and color. There was an attendant in the room who kept things neat and tidy during the breakfast time. A few of our family members enjoyed the pool and the hot tub. Due to it being in the 60's that day, the heat that was running made some areas a little on the hot side. There was an exercise room which we didn't have time to use, and a computer/printer available to hotel guests. The elevator worked great, and we had use of carts for luggage when we needed them. The outside was kept up nicely and was clean, with plenty of parking. We had no complaints about anything. Felt the staff did a great job of keeping things flowing nicely for check in, breakfast, snacks in the Lobby, Housekeeping, and for check out. Would stay there again. Good value for the price.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family

Wow! What a lovely review of our hotel and our staff. I am so delighted you enjoyed your stay and that our team was able to make you happy and comfortable. That's our main goal and it's so nice to hear that we were successful at making you feel right at home.
We hope to see you again soon-

Reviewed October 30, 2013

My stay at this property fell well below expectations. The first strange event occured about 30 minutes after check-in with a call from the front desk asking if the room was ok. After a 9 hour drive the only thing I was looking foreword to was a nap. I was of course in the middle of this nap when the phone rang. In the cases that something isn't right clients are well capable of picking up the phone to call the front desk themselves.

Another issue with disturbances is a seemingly indifferent attitude to hallway noise during housecleaning. I could clearly hear the staff discussing work and non-work related issues while going about their duties.

On the two mornings that I stayed, an alarm was blaring from one room which was apparently unoccupied. It was loud enough to wake up the two women staying closer to the room. The staff was inattentive to this disturbance.

One issue that concerned me a lot is that fact that this property self-promotes as a place for business travellers and offers free Wifi. The wifi service is unstable and slow. Almost completely unusable during peak hours. This is a perfect example of something we see in the hotel industry a lot; a property that offers something as value added that is in reality little more than a liability for itself and more importantly, guests. I would rather pay for reliable wifi than be victim of a free, unreliable service.

The property has apparently been renovating the rooms. From the rooms I saw it is safe to say that these are not full renovations but updates. This is of course akin to putting lipstick on a pig. You might be making the room look better but functionality remains the same. Case in point, there is an open storage area with a large shelf in my room on the side of the door opens. Move to the side of the door that opens as you normally do and that shelf will get you in the head every time. It wouldn't have taken a lot of time or thought to modify that space during a renovation but obviously things didn't go that deep.

Yes, the property is clean and the breakfasts good but there are lots of properties that meet those standards and the next time I visit, I'll be looking for one.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled on business
3  Thank SSSUCHAN
CountryInnStesWyo, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express & Suites Wyomissing, responded to this reviewResponded November 1, 2013

I am very sorry you experienced several issues during your stay. I apologize for the disturbance while you were sleeping-we normally call guests as a courtesy after check in to ensure they are satisfied with their room, however we would never want to wake you up from a nap to do so. I will take all your feedback regarding noise, property appearance, and internet service to heart and make sure we work diligently towards a solution.
I hope when you are in the Reading area again you will give us another try to better service your hotel needs.

Heather E. Gilbert
Area Manager

Also consider these accommodations in or near Wyomissing
Holiday Inn Express Reading
Crowne Plaza Hotel Reading
Crowne Plaza Hotel Reading
#1 of 7 in Wyomissing
Fairfield Inn & Suites Reading Wyomissing
Homewood Suites by Hilton Reading
Courtyard Reading Wyomissing
Hampton Inn Reading/Wyomissing

Been to Holiday Inn Express & Suites Wyomissing? Share your experiences!