“Clean, Updated Hotel”

GreenLeadersBronze level
East Rutherford, New Jersey
“Clean, Updated Hotel”
Reviewed July 13, 2012

We just returned from an overnight trip to the Hampton Inn, Reading, PA. The hotel was recently upgraded and looks fantastic. The new indoor pool is a decent size and very clean. Maximum depth is 5'. There is a new, fully equipped fitness room adjacent to the pool. You need to use your room key to enter either facility. The hotel supplies towels for guests to use at the pool. The hotel offers a complimentary hot and cold buffet breakfast. Very clean and well staffed. Excellent selection of food and drinks. Something for everyone. The waffle makers worked great and the fruit salad was excellent.

We stayed in the newer wing of the hotel (two double beds in the room and a rather large bathroom with no air ventilation). The hotel makes a point of having signs all over indicating that all the bedding is changed after every guest (they had white duvet covers and they were clean). Beds were not comfortable at all and the room air conditioner seemed to shut off during the night making sleep difficult. However, room was very clean.

Overall, it's a nice hotel.

Room Tip: Get a king size bed with a pull out couch. Double beds are small.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank herrick71

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (38)
Washington, District of Columbia, United States
Reviewed June 18, 2012

I was impressed by the hotel. Very nicely kept inside, good location, nice HD LG TV's in the room. Also had a great bathroom, microwave, fridge, and a few other amenities that I thought made it stand out for the price.

What i was not impressed by was the fact that we were given a full bed, rather than the king that I had requested. Also, our room was one of two adjoined to another for suite purposes - the group next to us was quite loud, it was VERY easy to hear them, and I was woken up at 12:35 because of this.

So, in summary, the hotel itself is great, assuming you get the right bed size and a non-adjoined room full of noisy neighbors. If you don't, be wary...

Room Tip: MAKE SURE that if you book via a third party site (in my case hotels.com) that your requests don'...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
Greer, South Carolina
Reviewed June 15, 2012

Great customer service!!!!
Very clean and comfy rooms!
Delightful breakfast that is always wonderful!
Not noisy like some hotels!
Located close to everything!
Fair price!

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with family
Allendale, New Jersey
Reviewed May 31, 2012

hotel clean and comfortable; staff pleasant and helpful; great location within walking distance to variety of restaurants and shopping as well as Amish country Great full hot breakfast included in room rental

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends
Plattsburgh, New York
Reviewed May 18, 2012

Great hotel.....Rooms/beds, service, staff, breakfasts. Just a great place to stay at a reasonable price! Absolutely no negatives here!

Room Tip: Had a group of 50 senior citizens....not a complaint in any of the 27 rooms!!!!
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
Montrose, PA
Reviewed April 24, 2012

I stayed recently at this wonderful hotel with a friend for one night. We were visiting a needlework store in Reading and this was close by. We really enjoyed the room and especially the pillows! Also, we really liked the breakfast area. The coffee was wonderful and the food was very tasty. We really enjoyed our short stay and would definitely go back again.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with friends
Warnerville NY
Reviewed April 1, 2012

I've stayed at this hotel three or four times now, and am actually surprised I haven't reviewed it yet! But that means I can give an overall view, rather than a "spot shot" of a one-time stay.

Far and away, the best thing about this Hampton is its staff. I always measure a property against my favorite hotel in the Hilton chain, the Buffalo Airport-based HGI. I would love to see a playoff between their staff and the staff at the Wyomissing Hampton, because for once I think "my" HGI would get a run for their money. Every single member of the staff was welcoming, remembered me from my previous stay, and literally jumped at the chance to make my stay a good one. From remembering my room preference (#431) to finding a way for me to heat tea in a microwave-safe cup in my room, the response to every request was a smile in the voice and instant assistance.

The hotel is typical "Hampton comfortable," and in relatively good shape, though I might agree with a few other reviews -- it needs a bit of freshening up. The beds are marvelous, however, so a good night's sleep is assured. I found the walls thick enough for quiet (and my neighbors probably appreciated it too -- I had a nagging, croupy cough while I was here that didn't settle itself down until after midnight, but no one came banging on my door!). The mini fridge in the room was clean and worked well, as did the microwave.

I only have a couple of "cavils" that I'd suggest management see to:

1. If you have a microwave in the room, Hampton folks, please provide microwave safe cups for us to use in it!

2. I did tell the staff that the shower mechanism needed attending to (water did not divert cleanly from tub faucet to shower head; only about a 70/30 diversion, and the shower head was loose in the wall) but it wasn't seen to while I was here. I am less disturbed by that than I might be, because the hotel was bulging at the seams with attendees at the Berks Jazz Festival, and I am sure the staff was doing the best they could.

3. Please -- there are an awful lot us who are/must be gluten-free these days. Having the only "hot" part of your Hampton breakfast a choice among waffles, bagel toppers and french toast means, basically, we can't eat. So the "Hampton promise" falls flat on its pancake-y butt here!

But in reality, those are relatively minor complaints. This is a reliable, happy Hampton and I will be happy to return to it on my next trip to the area.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank Traveling_Psychic
Also consider these accommodations in or near Wyomissing
Crowne Plaza Hotel Reading
Crowne Plaza Hotel Reading
#1 of 7 in Wyomissing
Courtyard Reading Wyomissing
Holiday Inn Express & Suites Wyomissing
Fairfield Inn & Suites Reading Wyomissing
Homewood Suites by Hilton Reading
Doubletree by Hilton Hotel Reading

Been to Hampton Inn Reading/Wyomissing? Share your experiences!