“Shocking - should be demolished”
Review of Econo Lodge

Econo Lodge
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Wormleysburg
Reviewed August 2, 2012

Having had previous positive EconoLodge results, we made reservations for the Econo Lodge at 860, N. Front St., Wormleysburg, PA. At driving in the potted driveway, we parked in front of three windows boarded up with rotting wood and one door framed with it. There were garbage cans turned over in the main entrance and soda paper containers tossed and rolling around in the entry way. When I went into the main lobby, it reeked of tobacco smoke, probably from the construction workers working on the place. There was no one in the lobby, so, after ringing the bell twice, I returned to the car and called Choice hotels requesting a cancellation since the hotel was not ready for "guests". They called the owner who refused to acknowledge it's condition. We had no other choice but to cancel the second night (not protected by the 4pm prior day rule) and make a reservation at a Comfort Inn nearby. This place is disgusting - don't even consider it!

Room Tip: Avoid Harrisburg, what we saw wasn't worth the price of a hotel room.
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Mellie069

Reviewed July 26, 2012

Run down property attached to a run down bar. Numerous cigarette burns in hallway carpet. Smell of insecticides in hallway. Surprised a national chain would put their name on this hotel.
We cancelled our reservation (without a hassle,the only positive experience) and relocated to a nearby Quality Inn which was far superior.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank bg2038
Reviewed May 30, 2012

From a beautiful Comfort Suites last night to this dump for 13 cents more!!! Where do I begin? Again, it's non-smoking on the upper level and smoking below. Hard to find. Building in front of hotel is a bar/grill. Building is about 50 yards from a Railroad track that is very busy! Owner barely speaks English. "Continental Breakfast" is just coffee and donuts. Very old and rickety. Room had cobwebs. Very loud bathroom fan which is operated with the light switch..it's amazing the difference in these hotels.

Room Tip: Don't stay here is your best choice!!!
  • Stayed: April 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Bellbrat1971
Reviewed April 21, 2012

You get what you pay for and that's not much. The location could be better.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 21, 2012

my family and i booked a room from econo lodge 860 n front street in wormleyburg pa it was horrible there were no sheets on the beds ppl smoking cigs and pot in the hall ways we couldnt use the toilet becasue it was clogged out alarm clock didnt keep time and the breakfast consisted of muffins two piece's of bread and water then when we asked the where the breakfast was the hindu lady freaked the hell out of us we had 5ppl in our room with 1 towel and 1 rag and they refused to give us more and the worst part of it is my daughter husband and i got attacked by bed bugs i insist DO NOT STAY AT THIS MOTEL !!!!!!!!!

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled with family
3  Thank Erica M
Reviewed October 10, 2011

I booked through Choice Hotels website without checking reviews on Advisor. When will I learn??? Chose Econo Lodge because of location and thought I'd save a few dollars. "Lobby" was more like a hallway, dirty carpet which smelled slightly of urine. Stars to second floor hadn't been cleaned in a while. Hallway had a different odor than the lobby. Room didn't have an odor, but had been used for years. Very small bathroom with poor lighting. We couldn't get the show to work because we didn't pull hard enough on tub control. Chain for toilet float broke. On/Off button of TV remote didn't work.
While I was checking in another customer mentioned something about noise from train, but we didn't notice any on Saturday night.
Spend an extra $25 for a nicer hotel.

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 7, 2011

I picked this place because it's cheap and just across the Susquehanna from Harrisburg. It's an Econolodge, so I wasn't expecting much. Overall, I would say that I got what I paid for (that is, a safe place to hang my hat for a night).
My main complaint is the noise. I stayed on the upper level and it sounds like the floor is hollow and another floor was suspended above the actual one. Consequently, every step made A LOT of noise and causes vibrations that make the place feel like it's shaking. That's even in the hallway. So, when someone walks down the hallway in the early AM hours, it has the potential of waking you up. When someone speaks in the hallway, you hear it clearly. The other guests who were here during my stay were generally quiet, but I would imagine staying here with kids around would be intolerable. Also, when your neighbor flushes the toilet, it sounds like the toilet in your own room is flushing...times 100. It's very loud. The room was dirtier than I am used to. One of my towels had a black spot, there were blonde hairs all over one of my blankets and what appeared to be a spot of cigarette ashes on the floor (I do not smoke and booked a non-smoking room). Overall, it's not all-out grubby-gross. Just worse than I'm used to, even for a budget motel. The mattress was clean and no signs of creepy crawlies. In-room frig did not work (and, yes, I checked to make sure it was turned on).
What did I like? I thought my mattress was comfortable. The bathroom itself was very clean. Free wi-fi. The person at the front desk (young Indian woman) was pleasant. A/C worked very well on a muggy summer day.
For the amount paid, if more attention could be paid to cleanliness, this could be a deal.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled solo
1  Thank lemongrrl

Been to Econo Lodge? Share your experiences!