“Great Mexican in Willow Grove” 5 of 5 bubbles

Mad Mex
Ranked #25 of 87 Restaurants in Willow Grove
Cuisines: Mexican, Southwestern, Bar, Pub, Fusion
Good for: Families with children, Bar scene
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Dinner, Full Bar, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Television, Waitstaff
Description: Pull up a stool, join us at the Mad Mex in Willow Grove, PA. We are Funky and not scared to put fun things together if they taste good. We make just about everything from scratch daily. Inspired by West Coast food: healthy, fun, local, experimental. And microbrews. We don't use any lard but simple marinades of citrus and spices. We love Mexican food and big flavors, big plates, fire and sunshine, beer and tequila to wash it down. That is why we are Funky Fresh Cal-Mex! This ain't no Mexican restaurant, this is MAD MEX! Come in and enjoy one of the best happy hours in Willow Grove.
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
“Great Mexican in Willow Grove”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 20, 2012

I was pretty bummed when they closed down my favorite Mexican place (Tortilla's) so I was happy to see a new Mexican restaurant had opened in Willow Grove. I don't know even know how long this place had been opened before I found it since I don't go on Moreland Rd very often, but I was excited to try it out.

We went on a Thursday night, it was a bit crowded but we were immediately seated. Since it was a nice night out they opened up the huge windows, which was great. Too bad the restaurant is right next to a CVS!

Service was great, food was very good. There were lots of unique options on the menu that I look forward to trying out. My husband didn't really enjoy his beer, couldn't even finish it. The sangria was a little strong for me, but was pretty good.

All in all it was an enjoyable experience.

• Visited August 2012

Willow Grove, Pennsylvania
“Fun place”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 31, 2012

Great selection of beers on tap; great atmosphere; good food - their website menu even shows nutrition data; reasonable prices. Love it.

Southeastern Pennsylvania
“From Excellent to Terrible = Average”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 20, 2012

This restaurant has been open since November 2011. The decor is excellent. The interior space and design is really eye-catching and puts one in the mood for a pure-fun time. Mexican-stylized art, masks, wall murals, lights, all work to make this place exceptionally inviting. Even the restrooms were pretty-darn cool. And... it goes downhill from there. The noise level (and it was not sound... it was noise) was incredible and terrible. It primarily consisted of music turned up SO loud that the fillings in my teeth were rattling. Neither the voice nor the melody of any single tune was discernible. It was exactly the same effect as when one is stopped at a traffic-light and a car pulls up with a bone-jarring, brain-numbing bass-line playing. We could all, literally, feel the bass through our seat-backs and our seats bottoms. I would have really liked to have had a decibel meter. It HAD to be damaging. At that point we questioned whether to just have the drinks we ordered and leave. We decided to stay (I really wanted to taste the food.) Our drinks were disappointing (a Mango Margarita and a spicy bloody Mary but made with tequila). Just didn't taste good. My bowl of black bean soup arrived and tasted good (I've had better) and I was optimistic we'd have a good meal. My friend's guacamole and chips was good (we've both had better). Half of the way through the soup, the food carrier delivered the entrees. I said, "I'm not finished my soup yet." He literally shrugged with complete indifference and placed the plates onto the table. My fish tacos were chewy. I only ate half of them. A disappointment. My friend's crab-meat quesadilla was only fair. There are far better Mexican restaurants to enjoy and while I wish it had been otherwise, I'm crossing this hopeful off my list.

• Visited July 2012
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank CryingMan
willow grove
“Awesome find!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 12, 2012

Mad mex is a hip, fun and yummy restaurant to go to. Best place for happy hour, watching a sports game or just have a nice meal with family. They have a nice bar where you can hang out at if you want to watch sports, a nice dining area for friends or if you're on a date and a big family area to seat parents with kids. The food has a wide variety of choices which are all good. Love the decor and the unlimited nachos with salsa! A must go to place.

• Visited April 2012
Philadelphia
“A much needed addition to the area”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 27, 2012

I really can't say enough good things about Mad Mex. I have been there 4-5 times in the past few months and have enjoyed myself immensely each time. My most recent visit was last week. I had been meeting up with a childhood friend that I hadn't seen in years. Despite being crowded, the waitress did not rush us when she saw we were there to catch up. We ended up being there for three hours!

The 'Big Azz' (22oz.) margaritas are awesome! They have a fab $7 Happy Hour deal. Be careful they pack a wallop!

As for the food, it is great, 'doesn't take itself too seriously'. Mexican fare. I have had a different dish each time and have really like each one. I am a particular fan of the Shrimp Fajitas!

Lastly, now that the weather is getting warmer, they have opened up their outdoor area. It is really nice and private. You would never know that you are in the middle of a strip mall!

• Visited March 2012