“Has to be better choices than this”

Hampton Inn Philadelphia / Willow Grove
Ranked #2 of 4 Hotels in Willow Grove
Reviewed June 26, 2012

Wow, wish I read the bed bug post before I checked in but while I thankfully didn't encounter bed bugs (I did check under the mattress) , I did have to deal with poor front desk service - both checking in and out, a "fitness" center with 1 (yes 1) treadmill, an air conditioning unit that just screams "loud" all through the night (unitl finally unplugged), a microwave with a persistent clicking sound that finally stopped when I pulled its plug - didn't realize the noise until I turned off the a/c - and outdated room interiors - . On the plus side - you do get free wifi in your room and a "free" breakfast that I would gladly pay $1.99 for.

If you have no choice, lower your expectations - think motel 1 1/4 - then you can at least reach a level of some satisfaction.

Room Tip: Choose another hotel or at least until better trained staff are available and significant upgrading...

Reviewed June 23, 2012

I have previously stayed at many Hampton Inns and had good experiences.
This one was a major disappointment.
It is aged and in need of updating, but that is of minor concern compared to what wakened me in the early morning of June 21, 2012.
Bed bugs. One gave me a bite and with the light turned on I discovered many others crawling around the pillow. I captured a few and presented them to the front desk person who said he would reverse the room charge.
Avoid this hotel

1  Thank RoadWarriorBluffton
Management response:Responded June 29, 2012

Dear Guest,
We sincerely apologize for the bad experience you had while staying with us at the Hampton Inn Willow Grove. It has been a very unfortunate occurrence in our industry that these insects, known as hitchhikers, have begun to resurface in hotels across the country. Please be assured that the management and staff here at the Hampton Inn Willow Grove take bedbug reports very seriously.
We take proactive measures as soon as the report is made and immediately send our Housekeeping Manager and myself to the room to inspect. We also place the room in “out of order” status and simultaneously notify our pest control company, whom responds to the hotel on the same day. After preventative measures and any treatments that are needed occur, the pest control company will issue a certificate to say the hotel room is bedbug free. Our incidences of these insects has been very low, however, we do realize that once is one too many! We are truly sorry and do stand by our “100% Satisfaction Guarantee” and hope that we can see you again in the future.
Please feel free to contact me with any additional questions or concerns. Thank you again for your feedback.
Yours In Hospitality,
Suzanne

Reviewed June 11, 2012

We stayed at this hotel for 6 nights and had a very good experience. It was clean, a nice continental breakfast, and a very friendly staff. Mr. Leslie (first name) worked the night shift and he was so friendly. He always said hi and carried on conversations with my three year old daughter. If we go back to that area we will positively stay at the Hampton Inn.

Room Tip: We chose this hotel because it was more reasonably priced but still within a 20 minute drive of the...
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled with family
Management response:Responded June 27, 2012

We appreciate your business and glad you enjoyed your stay here at the Hampton Inn-Willow Grove. Thank You for the positive feedback and we have posted your comments to our Staff.

Reviewed June 10, 2012

Stayed on this property for three nights. Arrival and check-in were fine. I did notice a train going by as there are tracks very close to this property but was assured that noise wouldn't be a problem. I was assigned a ground level room on the railroad side of the hotel. I thought this was odd since I had just brought up the train and the possibility of noise! Oh well. The second thing I notices was a musty "wet carpet" smell. I returned to the front desk and informed the gentleman there of the smell and asked if I could have another room. He said the hotel was full so no, but he'd send maintenance to see what they could do. What he sent was someone with some Febreze or something similar. The room smelled a little better but was still noticeable. Since I had no choice I figured I'd tough it out. Later as I prepared to get into bed I noticed dark, smudge looking marks on the duvet. I returned to the front desk and asked for it to be replaced. Two hours later someone brought me a freshly laundered one that I had to replace myself. The next morning as I went to open the curtains wearing only socks I discovered the reason for the musty smell. The carpet was wet in the corner nearest the window. Looked as if someone was working on the A/C unit there from the work-boot footprint left on the wet carpet.

Bottom line is that the room should have been placed out of service but wasn't. I expected better from a Hampton Inn property. Breakfast and such was fair but spread out all over the place.

Room Tip: Railroad tracks on the South side of the hotel. The sound of passing trains can be heard as late as...
2  Thank AB_Orlando
Reviewed June 8, 2012

Stayed here for business. On its best day, this hotel is average.

Pros - location, friendly staff, continental breakfast looked fine. Did not hear occupants in the hall or in other connecting rooms

Cons - room was dirty. Found pills (hopefully the Tylenol-type) on the floor from a previous traveler, carpet and duvet were dirty, phone was especially filthy. Only one of two elevators is operational. Staff, while friendly, was not particularly professional. A/C is loud. My room was next to the boiler room which provided especially jolting noises during the night.

I am an admitted 4-star hotel fan, so take this review with a grain of salt, but for a mid-grade location, I expected more.

1  Thank CLT_NC_Traveler
Reviewed May 29, 2012

Had reservations for two and had called in advance to advise we would have a very late check in. Was assured that is not a problem. Upon arrival, we were both given handicap rooms. I asked if we could change, and was told they had a broken water pipe and all rooms were full. Maybe it was valid; I don't know. They did lower the rate a little, so that was nice. The bed and pillows were not the quality I would expect of a Hampton. The room was older and just not quite to the Hampton standards I would expect. Breakfast was good, but not great. it was fine for a quick stay, but not typical of most Hampton's.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed May 11, 2012

Happy with breakfast, very accommodating with reception/meeting room. Beds were comfy and great. No negatives to report. It worked perfectly for all of us.

Room Tip: no pool at this location. I can't speak to quality of exercise space. Hospitality was great for...
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Willow Grove
Fairfield Inn & Suites Philadelphia Willow Grove
SpringHill Suites Philadelphia Willow Grove
Courtyard Philadelphia Willow Grove
Hilton Garden Inn Philadelphia/Ft. Washington
Holiday Inn Express & Suites Ft. Washington - Philadelphia
Days Inn Horsham Philadelphia

Been to Hampton Inn Philadelphia / Willow Grove? Share your experiences!