“Expected better from a Hampton Inn”

Hampton Inn Philadelphia / Willow Grove
Ranked #1 of 4 Hotels in Willow Grove
Orlando, Florida
“Expected better from a Hampton Inn”
Reviewed June 10, 2012

Stayed on this property for three nights. Arrival and check-in were fine. I did notice a train going by as there are tracks very close to this property but was assured that noise wouldn't be a problem. I was assigned a ground level room on the railroad side of the hotel. I thought this was odd since I had just brought up the train and the possibility of noise! Oh well. The second thing I notices was a musty "wet carpet" smell. I returned to the front desk and informed the gentleman there of the smell and asked if I could have another room. He said the hotel was full so no, but he'd send maintenance to see what they could do. What he sent was someone with some Febreze or something similar. The room smelled a little better but was still noticeable. Since I had no choice I figured I'd tough it out. Later as I prepared to get into bed I noticed dark, smudge looking marks on the duvet. I returned to the front desk and asked for it to be replaced. Two hours later someone brought me a freshly laundered one that I had to replace myself. The next morning as I went to open the curtains wearing only socks I discovered the reason for the musty smell. The carpet was wet in the corner nearest the window. Looked as if someone was working on the A/C unit there from the work-boot footprint left on the wet carpet.

Bottom line is that the room should have been placed out of service but wasn't. I expected better from a Hampton Inn property. Breakfast and such was fair but spread out all over the place.

Room Tip: Railroad tracks on the South side of the hotel. The sound of passing trains can be heard as late as...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
2 Thank AB_Orlando

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (59)
Charlotte, North Carolina
Reviewed June 8, 2012

Stayed here for business. On its best day, this hotel is average.

Pros - location, friendly staff, continental breakfast looked fine. Did not hear occupants in the hall or in other connecting rooms

Cons - room was dirty. Found pills (hopefully the Tylenol-type) on the floor from a previous traveler, carpet and duvet were dirty, phone was especially filthy. Only one of two elevators is operational. Staff, while friendly, was not particularly professional. A/C is loud. My room was next to the boiler room which provided especially jolting noises during the night.

I am an admitted 4-star hotel fan, so take this review with a grain of salt, but for a mid-grade location, I expected more.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank CLT_NC_Traveler
Greenville, SC
Reviewed May 29, 2012

Had reservations for two and had called in advance to advise we would have a very late check in. Was assured that is not a problem. Upon arrival, we were both given handicap rooms. I asked if we could change, and was told they had a broken water pipe and all rooms were full. Maybe it was valid; I don't know. They did lower the rate a little, so that was nice. The bed and pillows were not the quality I would expect of a Hampton. The room was older and just not quite to the Hampton standards I would expect. Breakfast was good, but not great. it was fine for a quick stay, but not typical of most Hampton's.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled on business
Cleveland, Ohiio
Reviewed May 11, 2012

Happy with breakfast, very accommodating with reception/meeting room. Beds were comfy and great. No negatives to report. It worked perfectly for all of us.

Room Tip: no pool at this location. I can't speak to quality of exercise space. Hospitality was great for...
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
San Francisco Bay Area
Reviewed April 27, 2012

Not quite up to par with other Hampton Inns we've stayed in. The staff was helpful, but be aware there are no laundry facilities onsite. Also no pool. We packed light with the extra charge for checking luggage on planes these days and had to go to local laundramat. The breakfast was about what we've had at other hotels we've stayed at recently.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
Easton, Maryland
Reviewed April 15, 2012

My wife & booked a room as we were coming from out of town to attend a wedding. We we arrived back at our room around 11 pm we discovered the room air conditioner/heating unit did not work. We called the front desk and spoke to the manager. He said he would try to find us another room in the hotel.
He called back a few minutes later and said the hotel was full so could we stay in the room with a full refund? The room was warm, but we were tired and we did not want to try to find another place or drive 3 hours home. He was very apologetic. He did the best he could in a bad situation. We dealt with it and also knew this was not the normal for a Hampton Inn. For the most part Hampton Inns are very clean and well run and they have used the business model of the fast food industry--consistency.
The only other little issue was that they had run out of hot chocolate at the breakfast buffet.
No big deal though.
The staff were all very pleasant.

Room Tip: When you first arrive always check to see that the room ac/heating unit is operational.
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
Peggy E, General Manager at Hampton Inn Philadelphia / Willow Grove, responded to this review, May 1, 2012
Mr. S,

Thank you for your review and kind words concerning our staff. We apologize again for the warm night that you had to endure as a guest of our hotel. I am happy to report that we will be getting a shipment of 75 new units this week, so you should find your next trip to our hotel to be a much cooler experience!

Best regards,

Brian Jungling
Syracuse, NY
Reviewed April 5, 2012

Stayed here for two nights on business this past week. This place needs some updating. The best analogy I can think of is this: It's like being in middle school and getting your sports team jerseys handed down to you from the JV team who previously got them handed down to them from the Varsity team...though they might still look okay for the most part, wayy too many other people have sweated int it and no matter how much laundry you do it still feels like theirs this un-treatable grimy film.

The Bad:
Rooms were outdated. Toilet seat had mark on it when I checked into room. towels smelled like cigarettes even after they'd been replaced with new ones (I think the disinfectant they use for laundry may be causing this). Iron was very worn and little foil flakes flaked off onto my clothe. Room coffee pot had visible film in it like standing water sat in it for a while prior to just finally evaporating--was afraid to make coffee for fear of mold/mildew. Although I left my AC cranked to the highest it could go, it was still too warm in the room for me to sleep comfortably despite the 40 degree weather outside. I would have been glad to open the window even but that's not an option. Air conditioner was extremely EXTREMELY noisy and made it very difficult to sleep. Still, temperature was too warm for comfort so it was a necessary vice to put up with. Breakfast was nothing to get excited about, very basic and I'd consider it more continental than anything (oh well breakfast at most hotels is nothing to brag about). Elevator door looked like someone took a couple fists to it and one of them definitely smelled like a combination of popcorn and cat urine.

The Good:
Staff was extremely friendly and helpful. No complaint there. Free WiFi and 24-hour coffee/tea was nice.

I've stayed at other Hampton Inn locations in the past and have had much cleaner and more newly renovated grounds. While I won't be the first to check into this location again, I would still be likely to choose Hampton Inn in general.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled on business
Also consider these accommodations in or near Willow Grove
Fairfield Inn & Suites Philadelphia Willow Grove
SpringHill Suites Philadelphia Willow Grove
Courtyard Philadelphia Willow Grove
Holiday Inn Express & Suites Ft. Washington - Philadelphia
Holiday Inn Express & Suites Ft....
#2 of 3 in Fort Washington
Hilton Garden Inn Philadelphia/Ft. Washington
Candlewood Suites Philadelphia / Willow Grove

Been to Hampton Inn Philadelphia / Willow Grove? Share your experiences!