“Genetti Lycoming the dump of all dumps”

SureStay Collection by Best Western Genetti Hotel
Ranked #3 of 14 Hotels in Williamsport
Reviewed July 23, 2007

This place tops the cake of all dumps! Someone got my husband and I a jaccuzzi room here for our wedding night. When we first arrived everything looked fine but little did we know... I went to take a shower and there was hair in the tub. The jaccuzzi had mold, hair, and dirty water in it, and the TV was broken. We took our 7 year old daughter with us so we got a roll out bed which when I opened it had a huge yellow stain in the middle of it. We changed rooms 4 times and buy 3am when we were on our 4th room we were offered the penthouse suite which was just as bad as the rest but had more rooms to it. All of the rooms had the same issues or some sort of combo of them. They had a coffee maker in the room which I was afraid to use since the mugs were dirty. The next morning we were told there was a hot breakfast but when I looked it was bagels, danishes, and apples. I should have known better after the night we all had but I had to look. While checking out that morning I spoke with the manager about the night. She was aware of it since the front desk agent brought it up to her that morning and had also left a letter for her asking that the price be reduced. Once again I should've known, but the manager would not even knock the price down for the night and in return told us if we wanted to stay again to come see her and she would get us a great rate. The nerve of her. So needless to say this place destroyed my wedding night that was supposed to be as great as the rest of the day was.

• Stayed: February 2007, traveled as a couple
2  Thank raneana

Reviewed July 21, 2007

My husband I stayed one night at the Genetti so that we could pick up our daughter from the PFEW Conference ending the next day at Lycoming College. The year prior we had stayed at another local hotel and in touring the city were intriqued enough with the Genetti to make reservations the following year. What a disappointment. When we got checked into our room, the room was very small and old; however, the room was clean. The fixtures in the bathroom looked to be the same as those I remember in my grandmother's house. I assume that is the "historical" part. Anyway, there was a HUGE basketball tournament and there were literally hundreds of unsupervised children from 10-18 running around the hotel. Past 11 p.m. they were bouncing balls in the hallway. At one point they had taken over both elevators, holding them captive on the third floor, and at least 25 people were waiting to use it. They pushed all the buttons so we made every stop to the 9th floor. The front desk did nothing and there was no visible security. There were some parents in the lobby bar who were arguing so my husband and I just left. What a mess. Think twice before you commit.

• Stayed: July 2007, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank grktchr
Reviewed July 16, 2007

I booked a room via the Internet; I was very disappointed in the actual room versus the picture and description on the website. The room had a bad odor, the furnishings were outdated and drab, and the bathroom was disgusting. When I turned on the shower in the morning, a huge hairball was floating near the drain. After I cleaned it out of the tub and got in the shower, I turned toward the shower wall and noticed several long, dark hairs sticking to the shower tile. It was DISGUSTING. My husband and I asked for a room refund. The manager gave us $15 of the $75 cost of the room. We will NEVER stay there again!

Stayed: July 2007
1  Thank teachingmomma
Reviewed August 23, 2006

My husband and I travelled 5 hours to attend a wedding at the Genetti - we booked a room on the recommendation of the Bride and Groom - a big mistake. I should imagine that the hotel was indeed a gem in its heyday....50 years ago....but it hasn't been touched since then and is now tired, dirty, and in no way appealing. On the positive side, the staff are very friendly and helpful. But the bad outweighs the good. We entered the hotel from the parking lot area, down a loooonnnnngggg corridor with peeling paint and carpeting that needs a good cleaning/vacuuming. Not an attractive first impression. As the previous reviewer mentioned, there is an odor in the rooms which probably comes from the rugs or draperies....definately the result of being a "pet friendly" hotel. Our bathroom was outdated and moldy. It took 45 minutes receive an order chicken fingers from the bar downstairs. The Ballroom is dingy, old and just plain nasty. We also noticed the box-like structure in the elevator - most disconcerting. We were awake at 7am the morning after the wedding and had checked out by 7.30. On the way out of town we passed a roadside motel...perhaps we would have had better luck there. Indeed it is time to shut down the hotel and do a complete renovation.

• Stayed: June 2006, traveled on business
7  Thank Magnus-Maximus
Reviewed August 23, 2006

Terrible food, cheap linens, overpriced, dirty bathrooms, ugly furnishings, poor service.

Stayed: August 2006
3  Thank biggens
Reviewed August 21, 2006

My husband and I just happened to have to travel back "home", which is the Finger Lakes Region of NY State, the same weekend as the Watkins Glen NASCAR race. We didn't want to get in the middle of that, so I decided to look for a place to stay in Williamsport since it's so close to that area. Anyway, I looked at all the different chain motel/hotel prices, and was amazed at how high the rates were. I have seen signs for the Genetti Hotel for as long as I can remember, and decided to see what that rate might be. It was less than the EconoLodge and the Super8, so I booked a room.
Upon entering the hotel I was pleased by the fact it had "class". From the pictures of all the important people who had stayed there over the years, to opulant chandeliers, the dark wood, and even the old toilet and tub (which I think added to the fun of staying there). I know they gave me a free room upgrade, as the room had a king vs. queen bed, and was a corner room, to boot, which made it very nice.
We really enjoyed this, and are so glad we stayed here!!

• Stayed: July 2006, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Saratoga7
Reviewed August 1, 2006

I first stayed in this hotel in 1965 when it was called the Lycoming. At that time, I came in on the old Pennsylvania Railroad to which era this hotel belongs. I like old quaint hotels and wanted to return to see how the old gal was doing. The Genetti is one of the few old downtown hotels in small and medium-sized U.S. cities to escape the wrecking ball. Well I can tell you that the room in which I stayed hadn't changed much in over 40 years. There was a newer bathroom sink and vanity but the toilet and tub were the original equipment. The room was small which might account for its description as "European style". There was an odor in the room which could have come from the rugs, draperies or maybe the wallpaper. I noted that the hotel advertises itself as "pet friendly." I noticed that the elevators had a box-like structure covering about 1/3 of the floor space in the cab. I had never seen anything like that before and asked a maintenance man what it was for. He told me that due to the original hoisting equipment, the cab could only carry 2000 lbs. The box was placed there to restrict the number of people who could ride in the cab at one time. Maybe this is a clue that it's time to shut down the hotel and do a complete renovation.

• Stayed: July 2006, traveled solo