“Could be a good hotel... except....”

Candlewood Suites Williamsport
Ranked #11 of 14 Hotels in Williamsport
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed December 7, 2009

We were traveling across the state and could not find a room just north of Williamsport because of a festival. We found the Candlwood Suites because it was the first hotel to come up on our GPS. Well, don't use the GPS for hotel references! I called and the woman who took the call and made the reservation was very nice. The rate was fairly reasonable and it was snowing, so we booked the room and made our way down to Williamsport. The appearance of the hotel on the outside is very nice. The front desk area was kept nicely and because we are Priority Club members, we got a free beverage and newspaper from the pantry. The hallways in the hotel were kept clean. We made our way up to Room 231, which was supposed to be a non-smoking room. Once I opened the door, it was easy to tell that prior guests had definitely smoked in that room. Too tired to switch rooms, I did let the front desk know because I did not want to be charged the fee they supposedly charge. The room itself was reasonably clean, save pot on the stove with water in it? Also, there was absolutely no heat in this room. We played with the thermostat for 20 minutes to no avail. So, with flannel jammies and all the blankets on, we went to sleep - but not for long as the room above ours was apparently inhabited with pachyderms! Or the humans in that room weighed 800 pounds because the sound of their walking made the ceiling and our bed shake! This went on for about two hours when the Klumps finally left the room. I don't think I would stay at this location again. It could be a really nice property, too, which is a shame. Also, they offered a free breakfast at their sister property, the Best Western, next door. However, one look at the Best Western in daylight and we headed for the nearest Dennys!

• Stayed: November 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank KeyLimeLover69

Reviewed August 6, 2009

We stayed here because it was late, we needed a place to sleep, and they had availability. Having said that, next time I would take my chances up the road. After I checked in and began to unload the car, I witnessed a questionable male character try to book a room with a female's credit card (who was not with him). It was obviously stolen, and to the front desk worker's credit, she denied him a room. The rooms were not soundproof, so I had to listen to my neighbors argue in their room until 3 a.m. Breakfast is complimentary, but is located at their "sister property", a Best Wext door. I was not impressed by the appearance or condition of the Best Western, so we skipped breakfast. Perhaps my experience was tainted by my initial impressions, but I personally would not stay here again.

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled with family
Reviewed June 23, 2009

Recently I booked a stay for my husband who would be staying for two nights on business.
I booked via their website for a two night stay. I booked early in the AM for a stay that evening. The website showed availability for that evening and the following evening.
Upon arrival, although it was booked that morning and having a confirmed reservation in hand, there was no availability. He was given accommodations at their "sister" property, the Best Western. The Candlewood Suites is an all suite hotel and the Best Western is not comparable to this, being merely a hotel. The staff was helpful and friendly. Unfortunately, they were unable to find the reservation anywhere in their system. The Candlewood policy is to cover one night of a reservation that is unavailable. This was not mentioned and not honored until phone calls were made to Tracey, the general manager, who then made the necessary arrangements with the Best Western. We had booked here because of the promotion of stay two nights and receive a night free. I spent two hours on the phone with the Priorioty Club call center in the Phillipines. GB was going to follow up with our inquiry, which he never did. All in all, it was a frustrating experience. Candlewood also indicated they would follow up our inquiry, they never did. Tracey in Williamsport has been quite accommodating, indicating she would provide points voucher, when they come in. That being said, beware, call ahead even if the reservation has been made of the morning of your stay, You may end up with no availability at the Candlewood Suites (after a long day working). In speaking with a representative at Candlewood Suites, their system does not always work in getting your reservation to the hotel!

Stayed: June 2009, traveled on business
Reviewed May 14, 2009

I recently stayed at the Candlewood Suites while on Business.The staff was very helpful,nice and accomodating.I had a few requests when I arrived and everyone of them was taken care of immediately.Room was very clean,had a nice comfortable bed and a decent size TV.Hotel management sponsered a dinner social where ll guests were invited and I had a great time mingling with other business travelers.

• Stayed: April 2009, traveled on business
Reviewed September 23, 2008

Due to my work continuing longer than scheduled, I had to stay in Williamsport last minute and completely unplanned (as in, no change of clothes, etc). I found the Candlewood online and as I've stayed at other Candlewood properties before, I figured it would be good enough for the one night I had to stay. Good enough doesn't describe it...try EXCELLENT!

When I booked my room online, I just saw Queen bed and the reasonable price of $108.50/night ($118.27 total with tax, etc), so I figured I had booked the usual Queen studio room....in otherwords, the standard hotel room. Then I got into the room - it was a gorgeous, one bedroom suite. Good sized full kitchen, spacious bathroom, separate bedroom with TV, and a cozy but decent sized living room, with another TV. My favorite part was the huge work desk separating the kitchen from the living room with the comfy office chair. I could spread out my laptop and other equipment I use for work, work comfortably, and have a great view of the living room TV in the meantime.

As for not having the essentials for spending the night, this place is located in the heart of everything. Clothing stores, drugstores, the Lycoming mall 6 miles away, and tons of restaurants, including a TGI Fridays in the same parking lot area as the hotel. The highway is easy on and off, and even though it's that close to the hotel, you don't hear it, and you don't hear the traffic noise from the main drag either. As for noise from other guests, they do allow pets, so I heard a dog bark a couple of times when its owner was out walking it, but it was normal and quieted down when the walk was over. And remember, this is designed as an extended stay hotel, so you might have some people who are more moved in then others, but you don't really notice that either.

This is probably the longest review I've written, but I really enjoyed this place and I've stayed in enough hotels for work to know that this one is a guaranteed return if I ever find myself in that area again.

• Stayed: September 2008, traveled on business
Reviewed July 29, 2008

When I first got to the Candlewood in January, everyone was very nice and it was extremely clean. The management changed over about 3 or 4 months after that and EVERYTHING went downhill. Very dirty (smells horrible), housekeeping stole, rude (and dumb) front desk personel, always out of stock for supplies, took out the spa, will NOT let you use the shuttle except to go to the airport (even though they advertise they will take you anywhere within a 5 mile radius of the hotel) and the worst part is that they charge an arm and a leg for the rooms...all around a bad hotel. I lived there for 6 months for work with about 30 co-workers and they treated us like crap. I would say Holiday Inn if you had to come to Williamsport, PA.

• Stayed: July 2008, traveled on business
Reviewed February 10, 2008

We had to travel on short notice for a family emergency to Williamsport, PA. This hotel is full most of the time, so we were fortunate to get a room. We noticed that someone had smoked in the room when we walked in even though it was a non-smoking room. The manager placed us in the only other available room, which has handicap access. We made it clear that we would move if need be if someone with accessibility needs arrived. A day later that did in indeed happen, but the manager was excellent in how he worked that out with very little inconvenience. The new room was excellent.

These suites are clean, well-maintained, bright, and have kitchenettes with a stove top, micro-wave, dishwasher, coffee pot, full refridgerator, silverware, plates, glasses, pyrex cook ware, cooking utensils, pots, pans. Very nice if you need a touch of home. The staff is very friendly and helpful.

The only reason I mentioned the above problem we encountered is to show that the manager, who was not aware that the non-smoking room he placed us in had been smoked in, went out of his way to accommodate us. I know things are going to go wrong in any setting with a transient population. The real test is in how the management deals with it. Richard and his crew are awesome!

• Stayed: January 2008, traveled as a couple