“Very nice!”

Ranked #11 of 14 Hotels in Williamsport
GreenLeadersBronze level
“Very nice!”
Reviewed July 5, 2014

To all first time visitors, when you see the Candlewood sign and pull into the parking lot, don't freak out--you'll see a huge best western and TGI Friday sign. Candlewood is behind that building.

Onward!

My S.O. works out of town so every so often I'll drive out to closer locations to visit during his off days. I booked this particular hotel with Hotwire, hoping i'd luck out with the hotel he was staying at. Even though that didn't work out, I'm beyond pleased with this place.

Like I said I had originally booked this through hotwire so when a friend asked if she could tag along to see her husband, I said sure and immediately called to request an upgrade to a double, having no idea what hotwire had issued me. The man at the front desk (Zach, maybe?) was very helpful and had no issues upgrading the room, answered what few questions I had, and it was all done in less than 5 minutes.

Here's the part where I become the pain: the friend was unable to make it, so when I rolled in for checkin, I apologized and said I could be downgraded if they had the option (hate the idea of someone needing that extra bed..). Again, not an issue. I spoke with the same gentleman who'd helped me over the phone the day before. The only reason check in time took as long as it did was I never think to have my license plate number handy.

He explained where my room was, where the pool, gym and self service laundry facilities were, where I can get breakfast the next morning (Best Western next door), anything I could hope for.

One of the nice things I found really interesting is they have movies you can borrow behind the front desk, and they have a room with beverages, snacks and just random little things that you can take and fill out a form to have it billed to your room on the honor system.

Now onto the rooms: I was actually amazed. I don't stay in hotels that often, but the last one I did stay at was a Hilton and this place is just as good, if not better. I never expect much when so when I walked into a room that could double for a really nice apartment on a campus, I was floored. Like, take a video giving my friend a tour, floored. This room is nicer than most apartments I've lived in. It would be a great place to stay if you needed to be in a hotel for an extended stay!

I've always hated how a hotel room is just one huge room with no separation but in this one, there are clear lines. There's a small kitchen to the right as you walk in with a full fridge, dish washer, half sink, half stove, a microwave and a small pantry. There are also dish towels, hot pads, and clean dishes in the cabinet. To the left of the door is a run of the mill closet with a spare comforter, ironing board and iron. Next to it is a full bathroom. Walking straight into my room is a separate room for the bedroom which has a night stand, spare table, dresser and a television as well as another closet with a basket.

If you're standing in the kitchen facing the window, there's a desk (table?) with a swivel chair and two regular chairs as well as a phone and on the other side is where your "living room" is. There was a small love seat, an end table, a leather chair and another small end table. Something else that surprised me was the fact that there was another TV as well as a DVD player which I've never had any other hotel provide. The stand the television is on also has drawers in case you have a ton of stuff to store.

I've yet to sleep to be able to judge the bed, but a complimentary flop across the bedspread leads me to believe I will be beyond comfortable. It's soft yet firm enough to not kill your back. That's always going to be up to everyone's own opinion though, I can sleep like the dead on a floor.

All in all, I am amazed. I don't even care where my S.O. is staying in the future, if it's in this area, I'm just booking here. The place is gorgeous, the staff is beyond helpful, and I am completely at ease which isn't a simple task when it comes to staying in unfamiliar places.

Room Tip: I've seen tips about asking for an even numbered room--I'm on an odd room and I can't he...
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (25)
Comstock Park, MI
Reviewed June 17, 2014

Good location. We had a room on the odd side of the hotel which backed up the the turnpike. Quite loud in the room. Was late and didn't want to deal with moving.
Room was clean beds were excellent. Internet was fast. Staff was efficient and friendly.
Overall good stay

Room Tip: even number rooms should be quieter.
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled on business
karen s, General Manager at Candlewood Suites Williamsport, responded to this review, June 19, 2014
Thanks very much for recently staying at the Candlewood Suites in Williamsport. We are very
happy you enjoyed your stay with us. Our staff takes pride and great effort to insure that
every stay is the very best it can possibly be. We appreciate your feedback and kind words and
hope to see you again on future trips to the Williamsport area.

Regards,
Brian Skene
Rochester, New York
Reviewed June 2, 2014

Spent the last weekend(5/30/14-61/14) at this hotel. Was our first stay at this hotel but not in Williamsport(we come here every 2 years while my husband works in DC as this is about the half way point for us to meet). We traveled with a teenager and a pet, so the king suite worked well. Un happy that there wasn't a grassy area for me to walk my dog other than a small spot by the grills. The A/C for the room really didn't cool the separate bedroom so we ended up wal-mart to buy a fan. Pool says indoor heated, the room the pool is in is very warm but the pool wasn't. The hot breakfast was shared with the best western so that meant we would have to go to the next hotel over(short walk) to eat. My boys opted to sleep late and we went to Denny's. Check-in/out staff was very friendly as was the housekeeping staff. King bed was comfortable and my son was happy on the sofa sleeper. The kitchenette was great also we bought some snacks back after our big day out. They also offer a late check-out which we used so we could a few minutes longer as a family.

Room Tip: Many restaurants within walking distance. Also ask for a room on the back side of the hotel although...
1 Thank Donovan M
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Candlewood Suites Williamsport, responded to this review, June 20, 2014
Dear Donovan M,

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. I am delighted to hear that you were pleased with our friendly hotel staff and comfortable room accommodations. We strive to give great and impressive service to all of our guests and it makes us happy to know that we were able to meet some of your expectations.

I apologize for the shortfalls that hindered you from fully enjoying your stay. I have noted your feedback and shared them with our hotel management to consider looking into areas that needs improvement.

It was real pleasure that you chose us for your travel needs and hope we have the chance to host you again next time.

Faith R
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed May 28, 2014

We picked this hotel because it was the closest "nice" place to Cherry Springs State Park (approx. 2 hours out.) The place has studio-style rooms with kitchenettes and also has a gym and free laundry machines there.

If you're planning on camping out up there or are doing a longer roadtrip, this would be a great oasis. You could save money by cooking for yourself in the well-outfitted kitchenette and maybe get through some of the laundry for long trips.

No complaints - good location (off highway), great amenities for people looking for quality on a budget and nice staff.

Note: Make sure you look at the Google Maps view before driving there - the location is behind another hotel off the main road so it took us a few minutes of circling to locate the actual place.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
Chapel Hill
Reviewed May 28, 2014

The location is easy to get to and handy to fast food and the highway. It's quiet--not a lot of noise from the highway. The fridge was useful, and there is a free breakfast provided across the parking lot at the Best Western. This is not a fancy hotel, but it was clean and quiet. The downside was the bed was just OK and the bathtub drained slowly. Room cleaning is just every 3 days. For ambiance, pick a b&b or downtown hotel. For cost, pick this one.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with family
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Candlewood Suites Williamsport, responded to this review, June 15, 2014
Dear mbaChapelHill,

Thank you for staying and taking the time to post a review about our hotel. We work diligently to ensure our facilities are well maintained and we try our hardest to provide not just good value, but comfortable, clean and friendly accommodations. I apologize for any inconvenience you may have experienced due to the condition of our beds and bathrooms. Rest assured that I have shared your feedback with our hotel management to consider improvements where needed.

I hope to have another chance of hosting you should your travels bring you back to the area.

Faith R
Nashville, Tennessee
Reviewed May 12, 2014

The Good: The hotel room was clean; access to a kitchenette is great, particularly for longer stays; the lending libraries and honor system for the snacks is a nice touch; location is good.

The Bad: The stairwells were dirty; if you are sensitive to smoke, the smokers gather at the front lobby of the hotel, so it's not the most inviting welcome; Amenities state "spa" - there is no spa here. There is a "heated" pool that is supposed to be 80 degrees, but it was cold.

The Ugly: We typically stay in 3 and 4 stars, but are on an extended road trip and didn't want to drop a grand on hotels, so we went with this 2 star hotel through "Express Deals" on PL.

Having just encountered this in our stay in Hazleton, upon check-in, they attempted to provide us with a single queen bed. I hadn't slept the night before at our CW Suites room and my heart sunk when we booked this "Express Deal" through PL and this hotel's name popped up. The front desk personnel told us she could not change the room we booked.

After calling PL, she phoned the front desk at CW Suites and was told we would be charged $65 additional dollars to "upgrade" to a room with two beds. So, we'd be paying double for our $90 hotel room once taxes were added for a two star? NO THANK YOU! PL basically relayed that we were out of luck if we didn't pay the additional $65 and the PL customer service rep said that the hotel was charging us too much for the room. The front desk then phoned her manager and was told she could change us to a king sized room. This hour long ordeal was frustrating and seemingly deceptive.

I've never stayed in a hotel with only one bed that isn't a king. Most often, there are either two beds or a king. PL's express deals policy is that the accommodations will accommodate two people. The only circumstance most people wish to a share a bed with someone is when you are with your partner. However, what if you don't want to share a queen bed with your fellow traveler, as when you travel with a co-worker or any other person who isn't your partner?

I'm not sure who to be more disappointed in - Candlewood Suites for offering what feels like deceptive practices of offering one queen bed to accommodate two people or Priceline for allowing them to do that? I've never run into that issue at any other hotel until these two Candlewood Suites locations.

Room Tip: Confirm bed choice before booking!
1 Thank Vagabond_Yogini
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Candlewood Suites Williamsport, responded to this review, May 29, 2014
Dear Vagabond_Yogini,

We appreciate that you took the time to leave a comprehensive review, highlighting not only the bad but also the good.

I would love the opportunity to regain your faith in the Candlewood Suites Williamsport, PA Hotel and would welcome the opportunity to discuss your stay in further details. We have sent you a private message to obtain additional detail regarding your stay.

Thank you again for your review.

John O
West Chester, Pennsylvania
Reviewed April 12, 2014

I stayed at this property in late March for an extended business trip. I felt very comfortable there and the rooms are nice and clean. I would recommend this hotel for it's great accommodations as well as central location! I will be returning in June for another stay.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
Nicole I, Manager at Candlewood Suites Williamsport, responded to this review, December 6, 2016
Thank you for taking the time to share your comments and feedback concerning your recent
stay with us. We are very happy that you enjoyed your stay and were able to enjoy all the
amenities at the hotel.
Our staff takes pride and great effort to insure that every stay is the very best it can be.
Your kind words will be shared with the entire staff and we hope to see you again
on future travels back to the Williamsport area.