“Ick...”

Ranked #13 of 20 Hotels in Wilkes-Barre
Carlisle, Pennsylvania
“Ick...”
Reviewed October 6, 2013

From the outside, this place doesn't look all that bad, but once inside it's like, as they say, being in a "French [--]".... The room wreaked of stale tobacco and who knows what else. The carpet was filthy, and it's just generally a nasty place. At least it was quiet and convenient for our purposes, but we couldn't get out of there fast enough in the morning. Usually I say you get what you pay for, but this time we didn't. No price is low enough to make this place worth staying at.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Tubaman77-CTC
Fayann K, General Manager at Red Roof Inn Wilkes Barre Arena, responded to this review, October 16, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to provide your feedback. I am very sorry to hear that your stay was so unpleasant. I can assure you that we are committed to providing a stay that is truly exceptional to all our guests. I am unsure if you contacted our front desk upon check in considering the problems you experienced. If you did, you should have been assigned a different room in a new location. I regret in this case this did not happen. I would like to talk to you personnally about this issue and have the opportunity to resolve it to your satisfaction.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (87)
brattleboro, vt
Reviewed September 29, 2013

This place was filthy, noisy, I did not feel safe and neither did the dog, room stank and bathroom was disgusting, sink was plugged. Yuk! Sheets were stained, door was kicked in, windows were filthy, really, really noisy with people partying, outside premises were disgusting, only stayed because it was 10:30 at nite and needed to be on the road by 5 am. I would not go back,
When we turned on the AC to get some sleep, it rattled so bad we had to shut off. This place gives Red Roof a bad name!!!

Room Tip: Go somewhere else, only went there because my dog was with me.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank molly13b
Fayann K, General Manager at Red Roof Inn Wilkes Barre Arena, responded to this review, October 3, 2013
Thank you for staying at our inn and taking the time to write a review on Trip Advisor. I am sorry about the inconveniences that you encountered while you were at my inn. Our goal ia to make sure each guest has a positive experience, and in your case we failed. There is no excuse for the noisy air conditioner, and we will be taking immediate action to correct this issue. You have pointed out some areas of opportunity as well, and we take all feedback seriously. I hope you will give us the opportunity to serve you again, so you can see that your experience was an exception rather than the rule.
Reviewed September 16, 2013

I read previous comments and if they expected perfection they should pay $100 and stay at the Ramada. It was clean and Sandy at the front fest is as sweet as it gets. You will not find better service and I have stayed at many Inns and Hotels. Kudos!!!!

• Stayed September 2013
1 Thank Gmasib
Fayann K, General Manager at Red Roof Inn Wilkes Barre Arena, responded to this review, September 19, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to write such a positive review on Trip Advisor. I am also pleased that the front desk staff was accommodating and made you feel welcome. Thank you for choosing Red Roof Inn, and we hope we can be of service to you again in the near future.
Reviewed September 8, 2013

It was our first time Staying at a red roof and at first I was a little worried about the location until I got there .The service was wonderful,Sandy at the front desk was very pleasant and made us feel welcomed .The rooms were very clean and I slept wonderful.The only down side is the location of the hotel ,very hard to find after you get off of the highway.

• Stayed August 2013
1 Thank RhondaN1954
Fayann K, General Manager at Red Roof Inn Wilkes Barre Arena, responded to this review, September 12, 2013
I was happy to read your positive comments about our hotel and the service provided by the front desk staff upon your arrival. We take pride in the quality of our hotel and delivering the highest level of service possible. Thank you for taking time to provide such nice feedback, and we hope to see you again in the very near future.
Massachusetts
Reviewed September 5, 2013

Traveling with my dog, I tend to use another pet friendly chain. However, they were not located in this area, so I figured I would give Red Roof a try.
Wow! I rolled into Wilkes-Barre just as a monsoon hit. The only issue I had, was it's not exactly an easy access. It's off the highway, then up a slight hill. Add to this the monsoon ... and that made for a wee bit of stress.
Keep in mind they are a pet friendly hotel, and there were certainly a lot of furry guests that night. Surprisingly it was a quiet night.
Patti at the front desk was very pleasant.
Definitely will stay at a Red Roof again in the future.
Four Paws Up!

Room Tip: This is a pet friendly chain .... so if you're not a fan of dogs, keep this in mind.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank CarlPaine
Fayann K, General Manager at Red Roof Inn Wilkes Barre Arena, responded to this review, September 10, 2013
Thank you for choosing to try Red Roof Inn, and for taking your time to share your experience on Trip Advisor. At Red Roof Inn we believe in providing an exceptional experience for all our guests at a rate that affords excellant value. We constantly strive to to represent our property in a manner that exceeds expectations. Thank you again for your feedback, and sorry about the "monsoon".
Reviewed September 4, 2013

My stay was an awful experience. Had I not been desperate to sleep and not had pre-paid via Expedia I would have left within the first few minutes. As it was, I ended up leaving by 430am as I couldn't stomach another minute. When driving in (at about 1030pm) I passed what looked like a possible prostitute going into a room. I could be wrong on this, but that is how it appeared.... I checked in and got my room key....then entered my room only to find it already being used. I screamed as did the other unsuspecting guest. The clerk was quick to fix the problem, but showed no real concern about how bad a breach this was. I then went into my second room ( room 310) only to find it smelled horribly of urine ( at first it seemed to be cat but as the night went on I decided it was possibly human). All I could picture was some weird fetish thing with that questionable woman I saw when I first arrived. The rug and sheets were stained and there wasn't as much as a bar of soap. Had I not had my kids with me I would have preferred to sleep in my car. After a few hours I couldn't take the smell or general creepy feeling so I left. For staff who read this, I did not ask for a room change as I had booked the last non smoking room. I was on the verge of tears and knew I would not go back in if i left the room. As I had just driven 13 hours and had my kids in the car I knew I needed to get some sleep. By the time I got to my smelly and dirty room there was nothing staff would have been able to do to make me comfortable.

• Stayed September 2013
1 Thank Ppgm2
First of all, let me thank you for taking the time to write a review on Trip Advisor about you recent visit to our motel. Please be aware that is is not the normal experience at Red Roof Inn. Although your feed back is not the kind we like to read, it is very important for us to hear when we dropped the ball, so we can pick it back up and correct the situation. As a mother I can remember how difficult it is to travel long distances with children. Please accept my sincerest apology for your negative experience and discomfort, and I would hope you would give us the opportunity to better serve your needs when you pass through Wilkes-Barre in the future.
Raleigh, North Carolina
Reviewed August 25, 2013

I have stayed at this Red roof two other times. The staff was not great those other times and I told myself I wouldn't stay there again. Well I find myself going through that area and needed to stay somewhere.

I was pleasantly surprised at being treated very nicely when I asked for change of room because of location. Unfortunately the room was musty as the AC seemed to need to be cleaned out. The smell of mold kind of hit me as I walked in. The rug had stains on it and the bed was old and too soft. But it was just one night. I had to leave at 4am so it was a quick place to lay my head for the night. The overnight front desk staff was very nice.

It would be nice if the hotels that allow dogs would have bag stations for people to pick up after their dogs. I always carry them with me, but obviously other people do not. It would be nice if everyone just picked up after their own dog so my dog doesn't step in their mess...yuck

• Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
Fayann K, General Manager at Red Roof Inn Wilkes Barre Arena, responded to this review, September 4, 2013
Thank you for the feedback on your recent stay at the Wilke-Barre Red Roof Inn. We appreciate when customers take the time to tell us how we can better serve them. I was happy to hear that the desk staff made you feel comfortable and welcome. I am sorry, however, that you experienced an odor issue, and your room did not prove to meet Red Roof Inn standards. We take customer feedback seriously, and this issue will be addressed immediately. I would hope that you would give us another try the next time you visit the area. Thank you again for your comments.