“Awesome hotel!”

Ranked #15 of 20 Hotels in Wilkes-Barre
Augusta, Georgia
“Awesome hotel!”
Reviewed August 30, 2012

My husband & I stayed here only one night on our travels back to Georgia after dropping our daughter at RPI in Troy, NY. The hotel is back off the road & up on a hill, so the views from the front facing rooms are very nice. We had a room with 2 queen beds so space was a little tight, but the room was very clean, beds comfortable & really quiet. The bathroom was really beautiful-very clean, with triple mirror, good lighting for the ladies, & a vent. Also had one of the larger hotel room refrigerators, microwave & coffee maker. Breakfast was pretty good-yogurt, cereals, sweet rolls, etc.

There are a lot of food options near the hotel & a large mall as well.

Would definitely recommend this hotel & hope to be back as we go back & forth to New York state over the next few years!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (42)
brooklyn
Reviewed August 27, 2012

I enjoyed my stay over the weekend. I did'nt really find anything to complain about. The breakfast was better than I expected. Saturday, omelets & sausage patties, Sunday, scrambled eggs & canadian bacon, good coffee, nice atmosphere, just a little crowded. Zakiya, the lady at the front desk, fantastic. Very friendly, respectful, welcoming.

Did'nt get a chance to use the, pool or jacuzzi, but, My kids & I enjoyed the fitness center. Will be going back again in a few of months. Went for the casino, ended up in Walmart and Red Lobster!

Room Tip: It is up a hill, a windy road, don't blink, you will miss the entrance to the driveway. Great vi...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Amherst, VA
Reviewed August 22, 2012

Hard to find from highway, but worth the search. The room was large,fresh smelling and very clean. Towels were big and fluffy, and the room had all of the usual conveniences. Computer access was easy and hotel staff was very friendly. After driving a distance in the rain, they treated me like family.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
Cleveland, Ohio
Reviewed August 20, 2012

The hotel is a great location. You will miss the driveway if you don't know you are looking for it so I suggest looking at a map street view before you go. Fast checkin, clean rooms and building but small rooms. The bed took up most of the room. Two people cannot walk past each other anywhere in the room. Views from the hotel are great though. If you are looking for a great place and don't care about tripping over each other, it's a great place! I would stay there again.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed August 12, 2012

Upon my arrival I thought the location was very cool how it was secluded on a hill but still so close to the main road. The front desk girl was less than amused and quite rude when she checked me in, and not very helpful when I later asked for directions to a store. She slammed the directions on the counter and said "good luck" when I asked if a liquor store was close by. I don't know, maybe she was just having a bad day and needed a drink herself. We were stuck in a smoking room which was because of our stay being at an employee rate, but man was it smokey!!! Overall, our stay was good. We loved the shuttle service, and being so close to the casino was fantastic! I would like to commend the housekeeper the morning we left who chased us to the parking lot right before we pulled out to give me my makeup bag that I had forgotten in the room! I wish I knew her name. I just remember she was a very petite girl with short hair and extremely kind! Thank you, thank you, thank you, housekeeper!! :) I truly appreciated that!

• Stayed April 2012
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Reviewed August 4, 2012

Stop here for the night will driving home from Florida. 1st off the hotel is extremly hard to locate.It's on the top of a step hill not at all visable by the street below.

Front staff very friendly, check in took less than 5 minutes. Hotel is clean, exercise room nice as well.

My problem with the hotel was the size of the room, I travelled with my wife and 2 kids aged 7 and 9 and honestly we did not fit in the room. Two average size beds and zero room to move around. It was a freakishly small room, never saw anything like this before in my life.

It is a fantastic hotel for a business traveller or someone travelling alone but skip this hotel if you are more than two people.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Wilkes Barre East, responded to this review, August 21, 2012
Dear Danny K,

Thank you for taking time out of your busy day to leave us a candid review. We appreciate your nice comment regarding our fitness center and our friendly staff.

However, I would like to offer a sincere apology since we fell below tour expectation regarding the room size. While we understand that your stay was not 100% satisfactory, we would hope that you would give us another chance to make your stay as best as it can be.

Orlando A.
Case Manager
IHGCare
Binghamton, New York
Reviewed August 2, 2012

We stayed at the HIE in WilkesBarre for a weekend in July. The rooms were very clean and beds were comfortable. We asked for extra towels from housekeeping and they generously obliged. The pool and spa were clean and kids enjoyed their time spent there after a long day at a convention as did the adults. Easy access to Rt 81. Would highly recommend this hotel for anyone visiting the area.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family