“Quiet stay - great staff”

Holiday Inn Express Wilkes Barre East
Ranked #15 of 21 Hotels in Wilkes-Barre
Reviewed July 2, 2012

We stayed at the Holiday Inn Express one night on our way to Baltimore. The hotel staff was very friendly and courteous. Older hotel but room was clean and had a quiet night sleep. Free hot breakfast was really good. Free coffee all day was appreciated. We did not take the free shuttle (1 mile radius) but is a very good service to offer. Would stay there again.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple

Reviewed May 31, 2012

Spent 1 night for University of Scranton graduation. The hotel was clean and the breakfast was good. The rooms themselves were a little cramped but adequate for what we needed. Indoor pool and hot tub were nice and both my husband and daughter made use of the fitness center. The hotel is located behind an office building and was full up the night we stayed but was very quite. Planning on staying again for my other daughters graduation from Scranton.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed May 29, 2012

Very nice hotel for the price. Staff was very friendly.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 28, 2012

I am nearing the end of a 2 month stay at this hotel. I can only say "Wow!" The front desk staff has been superb, the cleaning staff has been fantastic and the maintenance staff has been on top of everything. A hot breakfast every day, cookies at night and coffee 24 hours a day. I cannot say enough about my experience here. I have a very clean room, the hotel is extremely well kept, there is a brand new pool and a hot tub right next to it. The location is fantastic as you are a mile away from the new Casino, less than that to the mall area and just as close to the highway and the turnpike. A fantastic location. I will be staying here again!

Room Tip: See if you can get a room in the front so you can enjoy the great view over the Wyoming Valley
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed April 26, 2012 via mobile

I stay at alot of Holiday Inn properties. I am a platinium member of their priority points club. That being said, I expect great service. We arrived early. We left since our room was not ready, we left and returned near 2 PM. Again we were told our room was not ready. I reminded the clerk that one of the perks of being a platinium member was to have our room ready on arrival. She informed me that check in was 3 PM and on this sold out night nothing was available. I told her I had no way of knowing they were sold out plus that was not my problem. I asked if we were being upgraded. Again another perk for priority club members. She stated yes but that room was not ready. Finally she called the housekeeper, who I guess told her 30 mins. Since we had been traveling all day, I asked again for any available room. We were downgrades to a 2 queen bed room with a decrease in the price too. The room was so small, that only one person could walk between the bed and the tv and dresser area and even then you had to almost walk sideways. The carpet was frayed but the room was clean. A hope she didn't give me a small room for complaining. Over all this is just an average hotel. They do offer a free shuttle to the casino. I may stay there again, but next time I'll arrive at 3.

• Stayed: April 2012
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Wilkes Barre East, responded to this reviewResponded June 8, 2012

Dear momheis,

Thank you for being a Priority Club Platinum Member and for your recent stay. We hope you liked the location of our hotel. We take our guest comments very seriously and always strive to provide comfortable and friendly accommodations. We’re sorry we were not able to honor your request for early check in and apologize you found your room accommodations were less than satisfactory. I appreciate your feedback as this is our best resource for improving guest services. We hope you give us a chance in the future to show you how great our hotel is.

Jaime W
Case Manager
IHGCare

Reviewed April 23, 2012

I have had the pleasure of three road trips to Florida and North Carolina this winter. Each time we passed through Wilkes Barre and stayed at the Holiday Inn Express Hotel. I cannot praise this hotel enough. The staff are so friendly, they have a shuttle that took us to the restaurant of choice and picked us back up when we were done, clean rooms. cookies and apples on arrival, a decent gym, and a wonderful breakfast to send us on our way in the morning. The beds were comfortable and rooms spacious and nicely decorated. I will stay there again when I go on another road trip to Florida or North Carolina.

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed March 8, 2012

We stayed at this property on a Saturday night during ski season. The hotel was far from full, but there were numerous other skiers. Sno Mtn (formerly 'Montage") is nearby. We went to a concert at the Kirby Theater in Wilkes Barre on Sat evening. Again, very convenient.
There is no restaurant on site. In fact, finding a place to eat became a bit of an adventure. As someone else noted, don't trust your GPS in area around the hotel. Ours sent us in completely wrong direction on roads that became little more than pitch dark driveways. The hotel is immediately (as in IMMEDIATELY) adjacent to the W-B / Scranton airport. Perhaps the electronics from the airport interfere with GPS units. Despite proximity, don't worry about noise from the airport...flights seem to end by 10:00pm. I was concerned, but this was definitely NOT an issue.
The hotel is clean and adequate. Fresh cookies in lobby are a welcome touch. Breakfast is pretty standard HIE fare.
Overall, this property---like Holiday Inn Express, generally---is a good, solid value.

Room Tip: Don't worry about airport noise. Flights stop early.
  • Stayed: February 2012, traveled as a couple