“A Good Apple” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #9 of 20 Hotels in Wilkes-Barre
Madison, Alabama
“A Good Apple”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 12, 2012

Normally we don't book Econo Lodge based on some negative past experiences with this particular chain of motels. But this particular Econo Lodge had several positive TripAdvisor reviews, the room rate was good, and it was in an area that fit our trip agenda. We arrived late in the evening and were happy to find the rooms were clean, comfortable, and quiet. I should mention our rooms were on the side of the building not facing the Interstate. Our interaction with the staff was brief, they were courteous and polite. There were adequate food choices for breakfast. Overall a good experience. Glad we didn't let a couple bad apples spoil our decision to stay here. Would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
    • 4 of 5 stars

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (66)
Moncton, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 30, 2012

I have been staying at this hotel for the past 6 years. I have a bus group that stop here 5 to 6 times a year. It is one of the best hotel we stay in, in the US. Carol and her staff makes you feel very welcome.

Give her a chance to let her welcome you once. Just tell her Pete sent me.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank Raymond R
Morristown, New Jersey
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2012

Stayed for 1 night when I was out in Wilkes Barre for some business. Got there earlier than I usually do, around noon, so I was worried that I couldn't check in until later. Not a problem at all, checked me right in and got a great rate through a highway hotel flyer. 3rd floor smoking room was big, with a comfortable bed, desk, and TV. Also had a microwave and a mini-fridge. Had a room facing the highway - barely could hear the road noise, and it doesn't bother me anyway so not a big deal. Bathroom was clean and sufficient. Only complaint was that the toilet ran constantly, but they had a room repair request form that I filled out so they could fix it for the next guest. Internet was decent (1mb speeds) TV had plenty of channels. Breakfast was fine, waffles, bagels, cereal, OJ - nothing crazy but enough to get you going. Overall was impressed on how clean and well maintained the entire property was, for a "discount" chain. Would stay here again.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank bb5555
Eastchester, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 19, 2012

This was our 4th time in 6 years and every time we have stayed at this hotel, we have been pleased. From the lobby staff to the room cleaners, every one was friendly or helpful. Very clean. The breakfast assortment has a good selection of breakfast items along with the local paper (Times Leader) as well as the Wall Street Journal. Staying there 10 days between the end of September and the beginning of October, it was fully booked. Lastly, not expensive. A good choice if visiting the area.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
2 Thank Paul P
Roxboro, Qc
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 18, 2012

My wife, our 2 children and I, stayed for one night on our way to Florida from Montreal. The room was very clean, bedding and bed covers very clean (we take covers off first thing anyway), fridge and microwave clean, bathroom very clean. Comfortable beds and pillows. Obviously you can guess that cleanliness is important to me. The staff was also very nice. Great deal for the price. (The next place we stopped at was a notch higher in rating and yet was not as clean). The hotel is close to the highway and is easy to get to with restaurants near by. I'm rating the location as very good because it is very practical but it is not "scenic" location.

The only complaint I may have (and it was minor) has to do with some noise from the room above: We were on the second floor and when the person upstairs got up at 5:45AM we could hear every footstep creaking from above (I think they may have a wooden structure between the 2nd and 3rd floor -- not sure).

I have no hesitation in recommending this hotel.

Room Tip: Upper floor rooms may not be as noisy.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank Eric K
Clifton Forge, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 5, 2012

We stayed two nights, one going north and one on the return home. both times we were treated with friendliness and helpfullness. The rooms were very comfortable and clean. Thank you staff for a job well done.

Room Tip: Saw the most beautiful full rainbow out the back side of the hotel upon checkin. Made out stay even...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Wilma M
Wilkes-Barre, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 4, 2012

Before writing my review, I took the time to read some of the other reviews. I agree with most of them. The motel is conveniently located, clean and the staff is very friendly and accomodating. It's a great deal for the price, safe and quiet. The continental breakfast provided is much more than most places have, and coffee, tea, hot chocolate and cookies are available 24/7. There is a computer available for guests to use, as well as wi-fi in your room if you have a laptop. There is a laundry room on the 2nd floor, as well as a fully stocked kitchenette for guests to use if they feel like cooking. Also, I have a dog, and she has been very happy and welcome here. This is not my first time here, and I totally recommend this Econo Lodge to anyone who needs a clean, safe, quiet, dependable place to stay on a moderate budget. It's great for a one night stay, or a longer one, like me . . . .

When I came here last month for the first time, I had no place to go. I was basically homeless, having recently moved out of my house because I could no longer afford the rent. (I have been unemployed for two years, so I have been on a tight budget) I left when I found other living arrangements, but that didn't work out, so here I am again. But my point is, the staff here, Carol and John, Carolyn and John, and everyone else, has made me feel like this is my home. They have been so nice and understanding, so accomodating, so friendly that it has made a very difficult time for me a much easier one. They didn't have to do it. It's not in their job descriptions, but they did it anyway, because they are good people, well-intentioned and caring. So that is why I recommend this Econo Lodge - this staff goes the "extra mile" to make sure you are happy and have an enjoyable stay here. Long after I leave here, I will remember their kindness and professionalism. And I will consider them my friends.

As for the bad reviews, all I have to say is that has not been my experience. I have never smelled cigarette smoke, or found a room dirty (I've been in 4 of them!). My room has always been spotless, and the furnishings are fine. This is the Econo Lodge, not the Hilton. If you come here expecting lavish accommodations: 1. You would be paying a lot more per night and, 2. You don't understand the name of the chain!!

If you do find anything wrong, please don't hesitate to tell the staff. They can't fix it if you don't tell them. Nobody's perfect, but they come pretty darn close!

Room Tip: Pick a room that's at the end of the hall, so you're away from the elevator and laundry room...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled solo