“Fabulous fine dining; Delicious food, friendly and not pretentious!”

The Cafe an American Bistro
Reserve with OpenTable
The Cafe an American Bistro is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #23 of 294 Restaurants in Wilkes-Barre
Cuisines: American, Italian, Contemporary
Dining options: Delivery, Reservations
Dining options: Delivery, Reservations
Reviewed January 31, 2010

During the day, it runs as it has for years, with a "deli style". You order at the line, take a number, have a seat and wait for your food to be brought out to you. The former 'Pic-A-Deli' was always known for delicious food at extremely reasonable prices with a very efficient ordering system for the working class. Come in, eat a great meal, and still make it back to work without being late. This has not changed, thank goodness.

At night, however, is when THE CAFE transforms into so much more as the dining area opens with a full wait-staff for a fine dining experience. I would be remiss if I did not mention the atmosphere is elegant but uncomplicated, fancy but not full of itself. The service is extremely friendly and attentive. The food, however, takes center stage (as it should). From simple to complex, every meal that comes out of that kitchen is a delectable work of art. Something you may not expect? The portions are generous and the prices are reasonable as well!

I will be going back, again and again.

I can't say enough good things about THE CAFE. It is a little gem close to every hotel and resort in the area. It's extremely easy to find and worth checking out. You won't be disappointed!

2  Thank SpANG1

Reviewed August 8, 2009

Beware! If you are considering having a private event at this location, be prepared to have a back-up plan because there is a chance of getting bumped for something bigger and better! (I would give them zero stars if Yelp would let me!)

My fiance and I had booked their private room for our 30+ person rehearsal dinner months ago - we put a deposit down, had the menu set and everything. Less then a month before the dinner, I receive a call from Jeff saying that a big reunion was actually booked a year prior, it just somehow got deleted off his calendar and he wants to move us to his good friend's restaurant, Portofino's - which, by the way, has been closed down for months and may still be closed by then. He then proceeds to tell me that I shouldn't be concerned because he's not concerned and it's not a problem.

Unfortunately, I was and still am concerned for a number of reasons - not the least bit being how unprofessionally he has handled this situation and the lack of empathy for the clients he is trying to boot out of his restaurant. There was also never an offer to make up for the inconvenience in any way.

With that being said, I believe our business will be better appreciated elsewhere and yours will be too.

5  Thank mjose182