“Great Sandwiches”

The Cafe an American Bistro
Reserve with OpenTable
The Cafe an American Bistro is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #23 of 291 Restaurants in Wilkes-Barre
Cuisines: American, Italian, Contemporary
Dining options: Delivery, Reservations
Dining options: Delivery, Reservations
Reviewed August 29, 2014

My friend and I were looking for someplace "different" to eat lunch, as we have tried almost everything nearby!

I ordered a sandwich that was on their "specials" board--it had chicken, mozzarella, and spinach on it and was served with spicy potato slices that were cooked--they resembled homemade potato chips but were soft. Both were pretty tasty. My friend liked her food also.

We will visit again.

JohnDawe, Manager at The Cafe an American Bistro, responded to this reviewResponded September 2, 2014

Thank you for your kind review! We hope to see you again soon!

Reviewed August 16, 2014

Doesn't look like much from the road but The Cafe is a little hidden gem in Wilkes Barre, they had a super busy night and the bartender still smiling at the end of the night took great care of me, the food was good and extremely nicely plated and presented.

Reviewed May 18, 2014

First impression was that we were in a Sports Bar -- you need to walk through the bar to get to the hostess stand. Several rooms so they can handle private parties; main room was noisy with only 1 table of 6 when we arrived, but it appears they've tried to do some soundproofing. There's a communication problem -- when a chef adds more than his 'flair' to standard dishes, the waitresses need to convey this to the customer to avoid them ending up with a dish they wouldn't want. Example: Coconut shrimp Entree is only 3 shrimp, no dipping sauce, sitting in a bed of extremely sweet desert type risotto (my 3 shrimp were so overcooked that they were almost black and should never have been served; Veal marsala had an 'usual' and different flavor sauce and was slightly overcooked; even the creme brûlée was changed into something not recognizable. Unfortunately the staff is a little defensive and demanding to know if the guest read the description of the dish before ordering. The problem is very preventable -- have the chef create new non-trational names for his creations and this would avoid a lot of confusion and disappointment. The service also left a lot to be desired .... we couldn't get our waitress's attention for 5 minutes and asked another waitress to get her for us and that took another 5 minutes. Bottom line for the 3 members of our party is that none of us would order the dishes we had again, but we won't be returning. We do hope they manage to work through the issues as it does have good potential and great location.

1  Thank ponyisland
JohnDawe, Manager at The Cafe an American Bistro, responded to this reviewResponded August 14, 2014

Dear Guest,

We cannot apologize enough for the challenges you experienced during your recent visit to our restaurant. I am not sure who your server was. We recently have changed out a few of our staff to ensure our level of customer care is superior. We hope you will come back and try us again, and please feel free to e-mail me at info@thecafe315.com. For future visits, there is always a manager on-site and the owner is on-site daily now. Thank you for your feedback!

Reviewed April 1, 2014

Situated in a Strip Mall area, an unlike spot for such a fine restaurant, you will find a menu that surpasses most all of the other dining establishments in this area. Don't be misled by the location, it is so convenient to get to, you need not look far. Higher rated restaurants in Wilkes Barre / Scranton area all seem to have the same bland offerings: Meat, Pasta and FIsh. (wasn't that an excellent steak???) The other option is Asian, (rice and hot sauce) or Curry Donuts???? When I go out, I like to order food that I usually don't prepare, or, don't prepare well. Here you will find very well made entrees, done very well. Inside the atmosphere is very nice, the staff is a well organized team. Attentive and efficient, you will never be without a full glass. The veal was so thick and tender, I want to go back to the kitchen to see his secret. Don't miss desert, just look at the offerings when you come in. They also have a take out option, makes me wish I worked near here so I could visit for lunch. If you are at the Casino, skip the action, take a short ride, (1.4 miles on my gps) and stop in for a special treat. Great place.

Reviewed February 20, 2014

Once a week my wife and I are able to get out of our shop and meet for Lunch. The Café is always our first choice. The food is consistently good and the staff is very welcoming and accommodating. I have never had a bad meal. Keep up the good work – See you next Monday!! PS. We have also had awesome dinners at the Café. I’m a big fan of their steamers.