“Best Mexican food you're gonna get in NEPA”
Review of Margarita Azul

Margarita Azul
Ranked #41 of 282 Restaurants in Wilkes-Barre
Cuisines: Mexican
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Wilkes-Barre, Pennsylvania
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Best Mexican food you're gonna get in NEPA”
Reviewed July 29, 2014 via mobile

It's a pretty small bar environment, but not crammed, with pretty good food.... The wait staff is very friendly and not too pushy, parking is hard to come by though and the neighborhood isn't the best.

Visited September 2013

Pennsylvania
“Great Mexican food for WB”
Reviewed June 8, 2014

Not a bad thing to say, great food, service and very casual dining. Everything looks very fresh/just made. With all of the new bars and restaurants selling craft beer for $5-$8 a bottle it's nice to get a bucket of 6 beers, your choice for $15. You are limited to Mexican or miller light. Most entrees run $10 or less and are nice size. GET THE GUACAMOLE!

• Visited June 2014
1 Thank klrrick
“Pretty Damn good”
Reviewed April 7, 2014 via mobile

Best Mexican food in Wilkes-Barre by far. The tortas are delicious as are the nachos. Plenty of vegetarian choices, friendly wait staff, food comes pretty fast.

1 Thank Luis F
Pennsylvania
“BEST Mexican in NEPA, and possibly Pennsylvania, bar none!!!”
Reviewed April 8, 2013

Let me preface this by saying my wife and I have eaten Mexican food in just about every city and area known for Mexican food - Texas, San Diego, Denver, as well as both coasts of Mexico. This place stands tall with the best of 'em. No, it's not "Southwestern" or Tex-Mex, this is the real deal - authentic sauces and flavors, slow-cooked pork, al pastor, tacos served with raw onion and fresh cilantro, even the radish salad, stuff you won't find at the chain restaurants. I've never been disappointed in the food, it is fantastic. A bottle of pineapple Jarritos washes it all down very nicely.
The prices are very reasonable, the servers have always been friendly, and the eats are out of this world.
A word of caution - unless you enjoy unbearably loud club music while eating, stay away on Fridays and Saturdays. Guaranteed blinding headache. Go during the week, and bring cash, they don't do credit or debit.

• Visited February 2013
1 Thank donvee
Chicago
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Margarita Azul - I like this place.”
Reviewed March 11, 2013

Finding this place was completely random, since I'd often looked for Mexican food and Tequila options here in Wilkes-Barre before. It is a hole in the wall kinda place, but very comfortable and welcoming (Wednesday night). The food here is on par with some of my favorites in other parts of the country. I felt right at home. No matter that I was the only suit in the place. I found myself wiping the sweat from my brow from the real hot sauce I got with my steak tacos, which were excellent. I had really missed that. They have wings too, (from mild to hhottttt). More sweat. My Bar-keep, Lydia kept tabs on me and adjusted my margarita to my taste (hard to find these days). They had good Latin music, a bit of old Mexican polka too,
My only wish is that they had actual salsa for the chips. They serve their chips with pico de gallo, which I got used to pretty quickly, but still.... guess I'm still a gringo.
This was my first visit, but I'll be back, most likely every week, and provide an update later on.
I believe they are still a cash business.

• Visited March 2013