“Great Stay” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #9 of 20 Hotels in Wilkes-Barre
Niagara Region
“Great Stay”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 1, 2014

My husband and I went to this hotel to celebrate our first anniversary. I really didn't know what to expect. After looking at all the search engines and comparing prices, I ended up picking this hotel. The hotel is beautiful, the grounds are beautiful and the staff were so very friendly and helpful. Starting from the night manager Charlie, who I asked a question to, and he looked it up on the internet and printed the information for us. Our room was one of the newly renovated rooms, we were very happy with the room. We went down to "The Bistro" which is located in the hotel. Very excited we did not need to leave the hotel to get good food or drinks. The staff in the Bistro were so nice. John and Mariaha provided quick and friendly service. And the food was reasonably priced. The next morning we came down to buffet breakfast. The best I have ever had in a hotel. The front desk staff is quick to help you and provide directions on anywhere you would like to go. Later on in the day we used the hotel shuttle service to go to the casino. And then called them and they picked us up when we were ready to go. We got to enjoy the hot tub and pool while we were there as well. On our anniversary night, we stayed and had dinner at the hotel. There was a wedding going on, so the bistro was off limits till 7, but Mariaha had us sit at one of the tables in Wildflowers and she served us from there. The food was delicious. When we ordered dessert, the food hospitality manager came out to wish us Happy Anniversary, served the dessert and said it was on her. Her name was Karen, and again super nice. The entire hotel is staffed with very nice people. The only complaint we had was the elevator issue, as it is under construction, the elevator was slow. This soon to be Holiday Inn is a great hotel now. We would definitely return to it.

• Stayed August 2014, traveled as a couple
2 Thank angyl12

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (98)
Texas City, Texas
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 1, 2014

We stayed at the Best Western from August 27th-31st. It was the worst hotel experience I've ever had the displeasure of dealing with. First of all, I called the day before to verify that they were able to accommodate my two small children (2 years and 4 months) with child beds. That didn't happen.

Check in was awkward. There was construction people and a strong odor of chemicals. There was two front desk people in the front. One was on the phone, one was typing on a computer. The woman typing rudely told me "she will get you in a second" no smiles, no eye contact, I felt very unwelcomed. The older lady was on the phone for a couple of minutes before the rude one finally said "uh fine, what can I get you?" And I checked in. She was still unpleasant.

We finally unloaded all of our things for our 5 day stay, we waited in the lobby for the elevator. There was a sign that said construction was the left elevator, and guests were the right elevator. I thought that was fair. The first time we waited for the elevator a good 5 minutes. I figured it was because check in just started, so they were going to be busy. But I was very wrong. The elevators were like that the whole time I was there. For a while, I didn't understand why the elevator was jumping to different floors and never coming to the lobby. Then one time I walked into the elevator while a construction man walked out I saw that numerous floors were lit up. The construction workers were using the guest elevator amongst themselves, never allowing the guest elevator to move to the lobby for guests.

Once I figured this out, I called down to the front desk to complain, because my family and I would always wait about 7 minutes for the elevator. I asked for the manager, and I was told there wasn't one. But I could tell them and they would get ahold of someone when he saw them. The problem never was fixed, and I didn't receive a call from the manger.

I complained a second time during checkout, and the lady (real nice) said that the manager was off during the weekend, and they would get back to me Monday. I still have not heard from anyone.

Overall, the rooms were nice. The breakfast didn't have a lot of options. Eggs were always wet and runny.

Apparently this hotel is changing to a holiday inn. Maybe if they work on their customer service, and when they finish renovations I might stay there again, until that happens, I would stay far away from this place.

• Stayed August 2014
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank SamanthaYC
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Wilkes Barre East Mountain, responded to this review, September 16, 2014
Dear SamanthaYC,

Thank you for taking the time to express your thoughts and concerns about your stay. It is regretful to see that the breakfast options provided and level of service received from the hotel staff did not meet your expectations.

This property has now transitioned to a Holiday Inn. Nevertheless, your feedback during your stay in August is noted and will be addressed with the appropriate parties accordingly.

Pam G
Case Manager
IHGCare
Sewell, New Jersey
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 27, 2014

Another Excellent Stay, and great service from the night time manager - Charlie. It can only get better as they are now becoming a Holiday Inn. Great staff, great service, excellent new rooms, comfortable beds and great air/heat. Couldnt ask for more!

Room Tip: All are good typically, but as usual with any hotel, try to stay away from the elevators.
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled on business
Reston, Virginia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 26, 2014 via mobile

Amazing service. Staff worked hard to get me a great room during construction. Great free breakfast. Great sauna and pool. Friendly staff. One problem is the smoking in no -smoking rooms. Not their fault but our room had a musty smell. See photos.

Stayed August 2014, traveled with friends
Charlotte NC, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 18, 2014

Major renovation going on but staff was unfazed. Service friendly and competent. Breakfast was very good,. Included a savory French Toast cassarole. Very nicely landscaped, great place out back to sit and relax.

• Stayed August 2014, traveled with friends
Review collected in partnership with Best Western

Baltimore, Maryland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 17, 2014 via mobile

My wife and I have stayed here numerous times as we have family in the area. We stay here at least a few times every year and have never been disappointed. The hotel is in the midst of a renovation and we are looking forward to seeing the new and improved facilities soon.

Stayed August 2014
Pittsburgh, United States
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 13, 2014

Presently undergoing renovation. So some noise present as well as construction areas roped off, many unpacked boxes. The newly renovated rooms are clean, comfortable and worth it despite construction.

• Stayed August 2014, traveled on business