We chose this hotel because we were without power due to the hurricane, and because it's pet friendly. My mom, dog, and I stayed here for 3 nights (it was supposed to be for 6 nights, but we just had to get out of there).
We were in a very clean room but a bit small for 2 adults and a dog. However, there was so much noise that we requested to be moved to another room. We could very clearly hear the people talking in the room above us, there was a lot of banging going on in the room next to us - so much that it literally shook the bed and jolted my head against the headboard. This also scared my dog to pieces since she had "not been treated nicely" before I adopted her. She wouldn't eat or sleep and the poor girl was wide-eyed and huddled against me. Also, the doors to all rooms slammed extremely loudly - constantly. All of this led us to request a different room on another floor.
The woman we dealt with at the counter who's name is Kirstin is probably the ONLY reason this hotel stays in business. Our second room was SO much quieter and my dog actually ate & slept immediately. Then came the smoke. We weren't told that half of this floor is smoking, & my mother is highly allergic. It would have been nice customer service to be notified of this. We called to see if anything could be done about it and were rudely told by Michael (who seemed like the manager) that all he could do was move us). Having just moved, we politely declined and asked him to check it out because it seemed as though some non-smoking rooms had people smoking in them. I met Michael in the hallway and this man has the worst attitude I've experienced in a long time. He answered his walkie while I was talking to him, he interrupted me numerous times, and he told me he would not even check on anything until after those guests left. He then walked away very quickly, leaving me standing in the hall with an asthmatic mother and a frightened dog who was recovering from surgery. What kind of person does this?
I stayed up late and found another hotel for us to go to as soon as we woke up (which was exponentially better than this place). We happily checked out.
I would recommend that you pay a little more and stay away from this hotel. It's obvious that the building is old due to the stucco ceilings and paper thin walls. Also, the so-called pet walking area is nothing more than a foot-wide strip of grass along one side of the parking lot (which is full of dog poop) and was not close enough for the animals to make it a lot of the time. The sidewalks and walkways directly outside of the hotel are stained with what looks like years worth of urine which no one cleans (I made it a point to notice if any new urine was washed away during my stay - it wasn't). This isn't healthy for our animals OR for people.
Overall, gross. Go somewhere else.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Stay at this full-service Hotel, located next to the F.M. Kirby Center and few blocks from Wilkes University and King's College. Well appointed rooms with traditional decor feature flat screen TV's, free wireless high-speed internet access and spa-like pillow top mattresses. With 22,000 sqft of banquet space, this is the perfect place for your dream Wedding or next Business Meeting. A free hot breakfast buffet is served every morning to our guests in our own restaurant Oyster. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Best Western, Expedia, Hotels.com, Booking.com, Travelocity, Priceline, Orbitz, getaroom.com, Hotwire, Cancelon, Evoline ltd, HotelQuickly and TripOnline SA so you can book your Best Western PLUS Genetti Hotel & Conference Center reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Best Western Genetti Hotel Wilkes-Barre
- Best Western Wilkes-Barre
- Wilkes-Barre Best Western