“Urine soaked sidewalks & paper thin walls.”

Best Western PLUS Genetti Hotel & Conference Center
Ranked #2 of 21 Hotels in Wilkes-Barre
Reviewed November 6, 2012 via mobile

We chose this hotel because we were without power due to the hurricane, and because it's pet friendly. My mom, dog, and I stayed here for 3 nights (it was supposed to be for 6 nights, but we just had to get out of there).

We were in a very clean room but a bit small for 2 adults and a dog. However, there was so much noise that we requested to be moved to another room. We could very clearly hear the people talking in the room above us, there was a lot of banging going on in the room next to us - so much that it literally shook the bed and jolted my head against the headboard. This also scared my dog to pieces since she had "not been treated nicely" before I adopted her. She wouldn't eat or sleep and the poor girl was wide-eyed and huddled against me. Also, the doors to all rooms slammed extremely loudly - constantly. All of this led us to request a different room on another floor.

The woman we dealt with at the counter who's name is Kirstin is probably the ONLY reason this hotel stays in business. Our second room was SO much quieter and my dog actually ate & slept immediately. Then came the smoke. We weren't told that half of this floor is smoking, & my mother is highly allergic. It would have been nice customer service to be notified of this. We called to see if anything could be done about it and were rudely told by Michael (who seemed like the manager) that all he could do was move us). Having just moved, we politely declined and asked him to check it out because it seemed as though some non-smoking rooms had people smoking in them. I met Michael in the hallway and this man has the worst attitude I've experienced in a long time. He answered his walkie while I was talking to him, he interrupted me numerous times, and he told me he would not even check on anything until after those guests left. He then walked away very quickly, leaving me standing in the hall with an asthmatic mother and a frightened dog who was recovering from surgery. What kind of person does this?

I stayed up late and found another hotel for us to go to as soon as we woke up (which was exponentially better than this place). We happily checked out.

I would recommend that you pay a little more and stay away from this hotel. It's obvious that the building is old due to the stucco ceilings and paper thin walls. Also, the so-called pet walking area is nothing more than a foot-wide strip of grass along one side of the parking lot (which is full of dog poop) and was not close enough for the animals to make it a lot of the time. The sidewalks and walkways directly outside of the hotel are stained with what looks like years worth of urine which no one cleans (I made it a point to notice if any new urine was washed away during my stay - it wasn't). This isn't healthy for our animals OR for people.

Overall, gross. Go somewhere else.

• Stayed: November 2012

Reviewed November 5, 2012

This is the first time i ever saw a special remote that was sanitized. the hotel itself is dated but no real issues. extra circle just for the remote since i stay in hotels for work often and i have read over and over again how the remote is the most germ covered thing in most rooms. i carry sanitizer and have used the ice bag trick but i reall appriciated this little added consideration

Room Tip: the room near the cross walk are best to avoid...they cherp all night
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed November 5, 2012

The people at this Hotel are very very kind & helpful. The hotel itself was perhaps a wee bit 'tired', but not too bad. The beds were decent enough. It was quiet as well, but did seem a tad small in the way of the hallways (height wise anyway). But overall it was quite nice. The Buffet Breakfast was ok & quite extensive.

Room Tip: Sorry but do not have any 'decent/good' tips.
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed November 3, 2012

There were absolutely no problems experienced during my one night stay at this Best Western. Easy check in and check out. The one king bedroom (room 5002) was clean and quiet, and came with a refrigerator and microwave. The bed was comfortable, and I had a good night's rest. Because of a late arrival, I was allowed to check out at 1:00 p.m. All the equipment worked in the exercise facility. The complimentary breakfast had "everything," and was open until 10:00 a.m. I will definitely stay here again when in the Wilkes-Barre area.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed October 23, 2012

This Best Western is in the center of WB, it is clean and quiet and the rooms are reasonably priced. I would recommend staying there, staff very helpful.
The restaurant in the hotel, Oysters, is excellent - a real gem.

Room Tip: I used my AAA card and got a discount
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Barbara C
Reviewed October 14, 2012

I recently stayed at this property after getting a deal on priceline. This was a 3 star property on priceline and where I usually stay is only 2 1/2 so I figured it can't be that bad.

The good points: The hotel is well maintained and clean giving that you can see many items have age to them. The room had a refrigerator, DVD player, and even a book to read which was a nice touch. It was clean. Location is in downtown Wilkes-Barre and the Kirby center is right across the street so it would be excellent if you need to be in downtown. The area appears safe with the police station right across the street.

The bad points: Do expect to get much sleep if there is a function going on in one of the ballrooms. I heard the base of the music until slightly after 11 which it wouldn't be bad if you are at the event and using the room afterwards to crash. The walls do not have any sound proofing and I could hear TV's, conversations, and other things through the walls. As a fire protection engineer, I noticed the smoke alarm in the room was falling off the wall and the fire alarm system does not have ADA features which when it was built was acceptable.

The deal breaker: The breakfast was just disgusting. I started with a Belgium waffle which the waffle iron had not been cleaned in some time. The waffle came out with all small pieces of burnt crumbs that were burnt onto the waffle maker. The eggs, sausage, pancakes, breakfast potatoes were just OK. The danish was stale. The breakfast room is located in a restaurant that looked like it used to be a nightclub.

I would probably not stay at this property again and would not bid a 3 star in Wilkes-Barre again because I would be afraid I would get it. I would say this should have been a 2 star for priceline. It would be good if you had bussiness in Wilkes-Barre, an event at the hotel, or something at the Kirby Center.

Room Tip: Ask for a room away from the ballrooms. It may be quieter on the other side of the hall.
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank jandthud
Reviewed October 13, 2012

PROS:
-comfortable beds and bedding
-very clean room
-broken hair dryer was replaced with an apology letter from the housekeeping manager!
-close to what LITTLE Wilkes-Barre has to offer: a few very good restaurants, bars, and drug stores.
-"clean TV remote" was anti-microbial

CONS:
-not as clean bathroom (some wayward hair in the tub...not a huge deal...maybe from the housekeeper, even. Still...
-could hear most talking and doors opening and closing in the hallway from inside the room
-not the prettiest lobby

Room Tip: Room 2020 is at the end of the hall, and once people were out of the hallway, it was VERY quiet.
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business