“Undergoing Renovations”

Best Western PLUS Genetti Hotel & Conference Center
Ranked #2 of 21 Hotels in Wilkes-Barre
Reviewed February 14, 2012

Hotel was clean and my room was very comfortable. It was situated in a good area, walking to a nice circle with some local shops and things (altho the whole town seems to close at 6pm...). When I was there the lobby was being renovated, so it was not too pretty, but once it's done it'll be nice. The fitness room was good with adjustable weights and a weight machine along with the typical cardio items, so that's a big plus for me. I didn't eat the breakfast myself, but from the looks (and my colleagues) it is better than the typical hotel continental breakfast (it was HOT and had a lot of variety day to day... not just runny eggs like other hotels). Overall you could tell the ownership take great pride in this hotel and although it isn't the newest or shiniest property I would stay again.

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled on business

Reviewed February 12, 2012

I stayed here in Wilkesbarre for our swim meet. It was right next door to our pool and 1 block from public square that had restraunts shops and dunkin donuts. Check in went really smoothly. We noticed a lot of renovations in progress from last time I stayed here it was a positive sight to see. Also. The people were all so friendly and helpful all over the place because our lunches were in a different part of the building. Our room was awesome. We had queen beds that smelled good and had extra pillows in the room and extra blankets indiviually wrapped so we didn't have to ask the front desk, very convinent and unusual to find in a hotel. In the room was ihomes, huge flat screens, fridge, microwave, nice comfy chairs, and a rubber duck LOL! We all thought that was so cute. After our breakfast which was awesome we left the day and came back later to a nicely refreshed room and dinner. There was a nice work out center for us to with a flat screen.All in all our weekend was awesome, and Genettis renovations are looking great! Can't wait until next time we are back!

• Stayed: February 2012
Reviewed February 7, 2012

Stayed here for a week and a couple days on business. The hotel is a bit dated in the lobby and has strange decor in the breakfast area/restaurant but they are renovating currently in those areas. The rooms however are GREAT! We had three King rooms, one a little larger with a couch and a bigger bathroom for $5 extra a night. They all had comfy beds, nice flat screens, and great water pressure in the shower. The breakfast is OK--eggs, cereal, fruit, waffles, etc. We did not eat at the restaurant so can't provide any input there. The staff here are very friendly and helpful, always checking to say hello! The hotel is nicely located right by the public square, you can walk to a variety of restaurants and shops! Overall I recommend this hotel, we miss now that we are in our new location!!

Room Tip: Get a King with the couch for a little extra a night--it has a lot more room!
  • Stayed: February 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank lilybird7277
Reviewed December 22, 2011

I had the pleasure of staying at Genettis for 3 full weeks... The staff was beyond awesome!! Micheal at the front desk loaned me his phone charger as i had left mine at previous hotel.. They were beyond kind and caring. Also another Micheal who i think was part of the wait staff was a DOLL!!! He went way out if his way daily to make sure we were comfortable and well taken care of !! Breakfast was good, I am actually going to miss the french toast. Bill was friendly and very on the ball every morning!!! Though the hotel is dated i found it very charming and clean. If I am ever back in Wilkes-Barre I am defiantly staying here again !! Family owned and not a typical chain, I felt welcome and cared for here!!!

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled on business
1  Thank Robyn M
Reviewed December 7, 2011

The hotel was freezing cold and the lobby REEKS of smoke, since you have to walk through a smoking bar to get to the restaurant, Oyster. Breakfast is very good, especially for a free one, and the morning waiter, Bill, is hilariously terse and grumpy- he's a lovely guy and an excellent server, just sort of long-faced, as opposed to Michael, the charming and cheery banquet manager (or captain) who is tremendously helpful and an incredible representative of Genetti hospitality, as is the "other Michael", the night manager, and Sam, the GM. All our needs and wants were attended to promptly, happily, and generously. These people headline a great staff, and I'd be delighted to stay there again.

Room Tip: Laundry facilities are on 5th floor.
  • Stayed: December 2011, traveled on business
1  Thank M B
Reviewed November 21, 2011

I chose this hotel because the price was right and I was right in the middle of downtown Wilkes-Barre close to the Public Square. Parking was gated and right in the back of the hotel. When I checked in the staff was friendly. But what really impressed me were the rooms. They were beautiful! Very modern, with large flat screen tvs, and the mattress was so comfy! And it looked spotless. The bathrooms had heat lamps, which I liked. Ive stayed in bigger hotels in the area, and the room does not compare. The lobby itself was outdated - but in speaking with the front desk girl I found that they're redoing it by the end of the year. The breakfast in the morning was awesomeee - a buffet. The breakfast worker, Bill?, was so helpful and genuinely nice!

I stay in the area often and am choosing to stay at this hotel from now on. I'm glad I stayed and can't wait to see the new lobby that matches the gorgeous and comfortable rooms.

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled solo
3  Thank deedee_0013
Reviewed November 19, 2011

This grand lady is jshowing her age. The best quality us its proximaty to Wilkes University. Time has moved on but this hotel has not moved on. A small example, rather than vending on all or certain floors, it is off the lobby with the game machines. Ok twenty-five years ago - now - not so much.
The staff was very helpful and friendly.
When I visited, there was a wedding reception in the main room of the convention center with friends and family staying in the hotel. My room remained quiet and I slept undisturbed.
Had very nice dinner in the on site Oyster Restaurant. The specialty is Italian cuisine. Cannot say the same for the complimentary breakfast served buffet style in the same location. It was not so much the quality of the food but the lack of attention to keeping things current. Cereal with no milk. Scrambled eggs hot, breakfast meat missing. Perhaps the number of staff to guest ratio was out of balance. Not sure if a week day might be better.
There is a cocktail lounge between the dining room and lobby. Some furnishings have seen better days, a general commentary on the hotel in general.
There is parking with access controlled for guests.

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled on business
swagnersir, Manager at Best Western PLUS Genetti Hotel & Conference Center, responded to this reviewResponded December 24, 2011

Thank you for reviewing your recent stay. We realize that guests expect modern and up to date accommodations. We strive to exceed our guest’s expectations and are in the middle of major renovation. We expanded our lobby and upgrading floor and wall coverings, business center, two fireplace and many other upgrades. While some hotels do provide vending on all floors, our property utilizes one main vending area with soda vending on every other floor due to having 72 rooms. We realize breakfast is the most important meal of the day and a substantial breakfast should be provided. We are disappointed to hear that details were missed. Menu additions and added training for our staff has improved our breakfast since your visit. We are happy to hear that our staff was most helpful and friendly during your visit and take pride their commitment to our guests. We hope you will visit us again soon and enjoy our many improvements. When our improvements are complete everyone will be forever happy.

Sam Wagner