“A great new hotel”

Courtyard Wilkes-Barre Scranton/Arena
Ranked #3 of 21 Hotels in Wilkes-Barre
Reviewed August 26, 2014

I believe that my girlfriend and I were one of the first guests at this hotel. Despite the fact that we were there the first day, there were few if any teething problems. The staff seemed very eager to please, there were a couple of computers in the lobby you can use for free, there was a neat fire pit outside the rear of the lobby, and the coffee shop/restaurant served an excellent and tasty breakfast. We stayed there for three nights, and the rate for every night was somewhat different. For those who care to gamble there is a casino one exit on the highway away. I chose a room overlooking Wilkes Barre, as opposed to overlooking the interstate, so i am not able to comment on any noise from that road. If I go back to Wilkes Barre I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: August 2014, traveled with friends
Milena D, General Manager at Courtyard Wilkes-Barre Scranton/Arena, responded to this reviewResponded December 10, 2014

Dear Charles,

Thank you for your kind words and for taking the time to review our hotel back in August. My apologies for delayed response time. We are so glad you enjoyed your stay!

We hope to see you again soon!

Reviewed August 26, 2014

My family stayed at this hotel last week and we were very satisfied. I was particularly impressed with Jacqueline at the front desk. She took the time to "guide us in" when Siri failed to give proper directions to this new hotel. She is definitely an enthusiastic and helpful staff member who made us feel right at home.
Our rooms were well appointed and the beds were very comfortable.The free WiFi was faster than my Verizon Fios connection at home! The location in very convenient to stores, restaurants and the Mohegan Sun Arena. You can't go wrong staying here.

• Stayed: August 2014, traveled with family
Milena D, General Manager at Courtyard Wilkes-Barre Scranton/Arena, responded to this reviewResponded October 23, 2014

Thank you so much for your kind words. I printed your comment and given it to Jackie. She will be thrilled to know that she made your experience memorable. She is so wonderful! We are lucky to have her!

Reviewed August 25, 2014

So new you can smell the paint. Very modern Marriott Hotel, with a friendly front desk and bistro staff. Beds are very comfortable, Wifi worked great and Starbucks in the am. Tough to top. Will return on my next business trip to Wilkes-Barre, PA

Room Tip: High floor in the front of the building offer nice views
Reviewed August 23, 2014

On a very recent round trip from Ohio to Boston, we needed a place to stay about half way. Wilkes Barre seemed to fit the bill. Because we are pretty loyal to Marriott and my husband being a lifetime platinum member, we looked for Marriott properties. This Courtyard looked to be in a good area with plenty of places to eat and I did see on tripadvisor that it was new. The other good thing was the price was less than the nearby Hampton Inn and Hilton Garden Inn (which we like as well). Walked in about 7:30 to a really nice, modern lobby and were met by a very nice outgoing lady at the front. I'm sorry I didn't catch her name, but she was so nice, quite a talker, and VERY BUSY. We had to wait as a few in front of us were checking in. After we got checked in we went to our room and were blown away by the modern room. Everything from the muted gray colors, large screen tv mounted on the wall to the curved couch and ottoman were more than we expected. The beds were extremely comfortable along with the pillows. We had a great night of sleep. We liked it so well we stayed on the trip back home! There are a couple rough spots. The bathroom is very modern as well with a large partial glass encased shower (note partial, also note no bathtub). The bad part of this is twofold, you get a little chilly if the door isn't closed and in the first room we were in (I think it was 220) the shower stall wasn't exactly level and the water ran down the glass 1/2 wall and worked it's way directly onto the bathroom floor. Before I realized it I had water over a large portion of the floor that took many towels to clean up. More towels were needed! By the time my husband got in the shower, he had moved the shower head towards the inside wall and did not have as much problem. Lesson learned. The other rough area was that perhaps housekeeping is realtively new to this also because our return trip we had no glasses in the room and no soap. Minor inconveniences however. As I said, these things did not deter us from stopping on the way back home. I'm sure sometime down the road the place will show wear, but wow, take advantage of the great prices and newness of this hotel now! You may think you are headed to The Hampton Inn, because you have to go through their parking area, but keep going! You won't be sorry!

Room Tip: Beware of the modern shower. It is beautiful, but can have the possibility of water running toward...
Reviewed August 22, 2014 via mobile

This new hotel is convenient to the highway and provides access to everything that you'll need in terms of stores and restaurants.

We had a one bedroom that had a very large bathroom. In fact, the one bedroom in general seems to be super-sized. (Some of the space in the living room actually seems wasted and could have been better shared with the bedroom space, which is smaller.) The living room had so much empty space (enough to do cartwheels). The wet bar had spaces in the cabinetry underneath the counter for what seemed to be designed for a refrigerator and microwave. However, the refrigerator was actually tucked into a small closet on the opposite side of the room. The secret closet/cabinet storage for the refrigerator was clever, but it didn't make sense to have that and the other obvious cut outs for this equipment (which were empty) on the other side of the room under the wet bar.

The room furniture was very modern and not necessarily my taste but there were several different seating options. The one other odd thing is that we couldn't get the remote control to work for the television in the living room. Apparently, the television has to be titled in some specific way which really required us standing in front of the television and tilting it down to turn the channel.

One other thing that did baffle me a little is why the Courtyard sign seemed to be lit for the "yard" part of the sign but the "court" part seemed dark. Hence, when driving up at night, we saw "yard." Not such a great first impression, but they had recently opened and were probably still fine tuning things like the sign lighting.

While I've pointed out some quirks about the hotel, it's actually nice, clean, affordable, and in a decent location, so I still give it a great rating!

Stayed: August 2014
Reviewed August 20, 2014

We almost didn't stay here because there are two similarly named hotels in the Wilkes-Barre Scranton area (this one says Wilkes-Barre first in the name, the other one says Scranton first) so it was confusing. Also probably because it is new, tripadvisor isn't placing it near the top yet, even though it has all excellent reviews. Anyway, very glad we stayed, as the hotel is very new, the rooms are bright, modern, and comfortable, and the check-in staff was great. I have a feeling it is better than most if not all the other hotels in the area.

• Stayed: August 2014, traveled with friends
Reviewed August 18, 2014

I realize this hotel has only been open for a week and everything is brand new but talk about fantastic accomodations. Very modern rooms, oh so comfortable beds, elegant bathrooms, great firepit outback and a friendly staff. Wow, was I impressed. CanNOT wait to have the opportunity to go back!

Room Tip: Super close to the Mohegan Sun Casino.