“Disappointed”

Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Reservations
Poconos
“Disappointed”
Reviewed December 19, 2007

Three of us stopped in for dinner Sunday evening around 6pm after a hectic day of Christmas shopping. The restaurant wasn't crowded due to a snow/ice storm that had been occuring for the previous 24 hours and we were seated immediately. My dining companions ordered chicken enchiladas & chicken quesadillas respectively, and I had an enchilada/chile relleno combo platter that was served with rice & refried beans. We ordered a tamale from the a la carte menu to share, too. Our food arrived in less than 5 minutes - no exaggeration - and it had very obviously been microwaved - the beans and the brown sauce were burned onto the plate. Aside from that, the beans were pureed to a point that there was absolutely no texture to them - it was like eating baby food with a fork. The rice was okay but underseasoned for our taste, and the same brown sauce was poured over the enchiladas, chile relleno & tamale - if my eyes had been closed, I would've had a hard time distinguishing one from another, they all tasted the same. We'd ordered sides of sour cream and received big bowls of some kind of sour cream/mayo mixture that had the consistency of instant pudding, very strange - none of us could eat it, the taste was really weird.

All in all, it was a disappointing visit and I doubt I'll eat there again. I'm a bit surprised by all the wonderful reviews La Tolteca receives and can only assume the regular cook couldn't make it in because of the weather.

A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
“very tasty. yummy margaritas.”
Reviewed November 23, 2007

very tasty. yummy margaritas.

1 Thank A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
Nanticoke, Pennsylvania
“We eat here every Friday!”
Reviewed September 6, 2007

This reataurant has the best food for really great prices! they have an outside patio area that we eat at every friday until it gets too cold! As soon as you sit down they give you fresh tortilla chips and freshly made salsa. I have had many different things and they all have been wonderful! Chicken, shredded beef, and seafood chimichangas, quesadilla, enchiladas and more.dinner comes with a "guacamole salad" and delicious refried beans or rice. my husband enjoys the shrimp fajitas - the shrimp are grilled to perfection with peppers onions and t omatoes. daquiris are delicious, too - mango, banana, peach - many different flavors. definitely a place to go to if you're in the area. service is great and quick, too!

Chicago, Illinois
“I finally found great Mexican food in Pennsylvania!”
Reviewed July 18, 2007

I'll make the two-hour roundtrip drive just to eat here again!
I moved to PA two years ago from GA--where a Mexican restaurant can be found on every other street corner--and I've been on a hunt for great Mexican food ever since. But everything here that claims to be 'authentic' Mexican food isn't--it's TexMex. I finally found this gem when visiting Wilkes Barre to attend an event at the Wachovia Arena down the street. I live an hour away, but I'll be making the trip to eat at La Tolteca as frequently as I can.
The menu is varied, with all the classics items present, and the combo meals are a real bargain in large portions. The complimentary chips and salsa are incredible...just as good as in the South.
My only complaint was that it took quite a while for our food to arrive, even as tables seated after us received their meals. But I think the problem was that our waitress forgot to put in our order, so I don't think it's usual to wait so long.

Exeter, Pennsylvania
“Yummy!”
Reviewed April 14, 2007

I go to La Tolteca on Tuesday nights when the Mexican band plays...its alot of fun!
Staff is always friendly and the food is really good.. Be prepared to eat alot of it, too! They give you warm chips and salsa and ranch dip to start out.
I never had a dissapointing dinner here. I recommend this place.