“Stay away”

Cuisines: Japanese
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed January 1, 2012

My girlfriend and I along with a few friends ended up getting reservations for Katana after we could not get reservations at our favorite hibachi place. I was kind of excited to try Katana, being as we have never been there. I ordered the spicy tuna roll for 6 dollars. Only 5 pieces. Small and not much in the flavor department. Their wasabi was weak also. I ordered the scallop hibachi dinner with noodles. I was served scallop jerky. They were over cooked to the point of almost inedible. The shrimp appetizer was also burnt. The noodles were weird tasting too. Nothing I am used to getting at other restaurants. The rice was also tasteless. The vegetables included cabbage, zucchini, onions and mushrooms. Cabbage? Weird. The portions were small too. I think I got 8 or 9 nickel size scallops when they were raw, cooked they were dime size. And to top off a terrible dinner, we were rushed to clear off the table so they can disgust more customers.

1  Thank PlainsPricey106

Reviewed November 1, 2011

We have dined at this restaurant several times since it opened for business. The food is fresh and the staff are eager to please. In my opinion, it serves as an 'anchor' restaurant in Wilkes-Barre City.

2  Thank wbclwie
Reviewed October 28, 2011

Katana is a great place to go for either a quiet meal or a big show. You have the option of hibachi or sit down, both of which I have taken advantage of.
The food is very good. I have never been really dissappointed with my selection, however, you can tell when someone different has made it. Sometimes it is just a little off, but never bad.
The hibachi experience is one to be had by all. The chefs are entertaining and fun and really try to get you all involved in the action. Again, consistency can be a little off as there are some who aren't as energetic as others.

I go here a few times a year and never regret that choice!

1  Thank Therese C
Reviewed April 17, 2011

I am a huge fan of sushi. I can literally eat it every single day. I've been to tons of places to eat sushi and have always had a great time. I decided to go to Katana last night for the first time, looking at the price i figured this sushi is going to be top of the line, how wrong i was. Not only was the waitress rude but the sushi was disgusting. The spicy tuna looked like it had been sitting out for days and the shrimp tempura made me almost throw up. I wanted to complain but unfortunately the waitress never came back to even check on us. We had to scream across the room to get her attention to even get the check. When she asked if i wanted to box the sushi i had not eaten, i couldnt even respond in time before she ran off, throwing the check on the table. Never again will i ever give them my service, and i can say the waitress received a horrible tip.

1  Thank emily630
Reviewed February 3, 2010

There are two aspects to Katana - a "Sushi" side and a Hibachi side. We have never experienced the Sushi side which has a typical sit down restaurant, so I can't speak to that area. The two times we went, we asked to be seated at a Hibachi. Both experiences were good, although not the best we've ever experienced. Our Chefs were very friendly and worked to entertain the entire group. Children were seated at an adjacent table and their chef worked very hard to make the experience a delightful one for them which was wonderful to see. The food was good, although the meat was a bit tougher than expected. Overall, I'd say it's amongst the best in North Eastern PA, but there are definitely better hibachi's out there.

1  Thank MTNester1957