“Fool me once, shame on you - Fool me twice, shame on me!”

Host Inn All Suites Hotel
Ranked #14 of 21 Hotels in Wilkes-Barre
Reviewed July 1, 2012

Yep! We tried the hotel again, even after a less than satisfactory stay the last time - only because we needed a room quickly, due to my mom's funeral, and they happen to have rooms that fit families well.

We arrived late and absolutely exhausted from an emotional day and as a previous reviewer stated, the check-in desk was empty. We actually found an employee sitting in the dining room watching TV.

When someone arrived at the desk, I mentioned to him that our last stay was not very good and he was cordial enough and wished us better luck this time.

On to our room...mind you, we have three children with us! We walked into the room and almost choked due to the smell of smoke. In their defense, I do not remember whether I requested non-smoking, but it seemed that someone had just left the room and had a smoke before they left - which also means the room could not have been cleaned (or the staff sneaks a smoke in the rooms!).

We trudge back down to the desk and request another room - sans smoke. The comment from the front desk was, "We only have 1 non-smoking King bed suite left. I've had problems with this room in the past, but I just think the guest was too picky." I asked what he meant and he said "It smelled like smoke too." Lovely.

2nd room...stale smell of smoke, but certainly not as bad. Once we turned on the air, it seemed to clear up a bit. The employee who brought up extra pillows commented "I don't know what he told you, but this is a smoking room." We had to finnagle the couch cushions on top of the pull out bed so my girls could actually sleep on it. We were just so tired, I couldn't even think about switching rooms again.

Next morning, we found a dog biscuit in the chair (not searching for stuff - it was visible)

I will say, the breakfast was better this time, but it's not enough to absolutely change my mind that we will not stay here again. Rates are great, but my money would be better spent getting two adjoining rooms at another hotel that doesn't share it's staff with another hotel.

The importance of customer service is not a priority at this hotel.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family
Management response:Responded July 3, 2012

I'd like to thank you for bringing this to my attention. I consider feedback, whether positive or negative, an important tool to improve the overall guests experience at the hotel and maintain our award winning status.

After speaking with the staff involved I want you to know the appropriate action has been taken to hopefully prevent this type of problem in the future.

I'd like to take it a step further and make things right. I can only hope you'll give us another opportunity in the future.

Reviewed June 24, 2012

Arrived at 2:00 am with a guaranteed arrival and a reservation (through an online service) where I had been assured that there would be a separate room with a pullout sofa. I am an aunt who was traveling with my teenage nephew so I obviously needed something other than a one-bed room. When I arrived, there was no one in sight. I looked and called for ten minutes before a security person who was handling the desk finally arrived. He said I didn't have a reservation. When I explained my conversation when I called to verify the bed situation, he looked near the phone and found my reservation under other papers. But he apologized and said that he had just given my room away to another late arriving guest. I was unhappy but he assured me that I would have a king bed and a pull-out sofa in the room. After parking my car quite a distance away b/c there was no parking near the hotel, I went to my room to find my nephew as perplexed as I was to find the room had only a king-bed and a large hot tub in the bedroom. The room was full of lovely furniture that didn't fit b/c the tub took up so much room. Once the cot finally arrived, there was no room to walk in the room. In the morning, we discovered the absolutely worst continental breakfast I have ever experienced. The morning staff tried to get me to pay for the room that was already paid for, so my departure was delayed while they figured that out. The only good things I can say about this place is that the staff was nice, though clearly untrained and the place was clean.

Room Tip: The best tip I can give is to find somewhere else to stay.
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled with family
Management response:Responded July 3, 2012

Thank you for taking the time to post a review about our hotel. I am sorry you had a less than pleasant experience while visiting our hotel. We know many people read reviews and take feedback from guests like you.

Since your stay, we have been working on the issues you mentioned and we would like the opportunity to have you as our guest again.

Please think about giving us another try on your next visit to Wilkes-Barre. We’d like another chance to WOW you!

Reviewed June 18, 2012

Big roomy suites, really nice carpet throughout hotel. When I checked in I was greeted by April and Jasmine. What a pleasure it was to meet these two young ladies. They handled my check in seamlessly. We chatted and they gave me a few pointers about the area and off I went, no wasted time at all. If the rest of the hotel comes close to the service I received from them, I will absolutely return! Artemas Beattie

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled on business
Management response:Responded July 3, 2012

Thank you for choosing our Host Inn, Wilkes-Barre. We appreciate your patronage and hope that you will give us the opportunity to serve you again.

Thank you so much for the kind words. I will pass along the positive feedback to both April and Jasmine. Please visit us again.

Reviewed June 6, 2012

When we showed up at the hotel, the front desk put us in a room that smelled of smoke as soon as we walked into the room. Back to the front desk for a quick response to a new room on the second floor. The room was very comfortable and clean (with the exception of a stain by the door). Breakfast was good with lots of options. Both young ladies at the front desk were just great. Always a smile.

Room Tip: The third floor would be quieter
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 5, 2012

Was very happy with our stay and would have given 5 out of 5 had it not been for an A/C issue. The A/C is hotel-controlled and the thermostat in the room basically controls on/off. The room never went below 76 all night long making for a sleepless night. Otherwise, the room was huge with a large bedroom, decent-sized living room with desk and small dining table...sufficient kitchen and bathroom. The place was immaculate and the TV had a great selection of satellite channels. Also included pool, workout area, small grocery area for items for sale. Also includes continental breakfast with make your own waffles, bagels, Jimmy Dean breakfast sandwiches for the microwave, cereal, juice & coffee. Daily Wall Street Journal & USA Today.mi chose Host Inn because I needed to travel with my Boxer. A small grassed fenced in area is closeby for your dog's "business area". Coin-operated washer/dryer also on premesis. A TGI Fridays is across the parking lot as well as a lot of other dining choices nearby as well. Upon checking in I was impressed with the process and overview of amenities given. About 30 minutes later, the phone rang and it was the front desk checking in asking if there was anything we needed or if they could provide us anything? In all my years of travel, this was a first!
The only negative as mentioned was the A/C issue. The Manager provided a $30.00 credit which I found sufficient.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank BeachBumGuy_9
Anthony R, General Manager at Host Inn All Suites Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded May 17, 2012

Hello Beachbumguy_9, Thank you very much for taking the time to share your experience!! I’m extremely happy to hear that my team took such great care of you during your stay here in Wilkes-Barre. I’m also glad to hear you found the features/amenities and size of the room to your liking. I appreciate your feedback with our A/C unit and I sincerely apologize for the sleepless night. I’ve addressed these concerns with maintenance and the A/C is now operating correctly. Thank you again and I hope to see you in the near future.

Anthony Ramirez

Reviewed March 17, 2012

All suites that were roomy with separate bedroom. Full kitchen a plus when staying a few days. Roomy area for free breakfast with good selection including Jimmy Dean breakfast sandwiches. Not a good selection of fresh fruit while we were there but it was midwinter. Good online price. Clean with good service when extra towels were requested. Kids loved the nice indoor pool area. This will now be our hotel of choice when visiting the area!

Right across from mall shopping & many nearby restaurants. TGIF is within the same parking area so it is a few short steps away.

Room Tip: The back side has nice view of the whole valley.
  • Stayed: March 2012, traveled with friends
Anthony R, Manager at Host Inn All Suites Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded May 3, 2012

to receive your kind words regarding our hotel.

We accommodate many guests each evening, and we strive to make their night's stay a satisfying one. The principal goal of our hotel is to provide dependable service to all of our guests at reasonable prices. But, it's only through their eyes
that we can accurately assess the quality of the accommodations and services
we provide.

Again, let me thank you for your kind words. We're committed to total guests satisfaction, and we look forward to your next visit.

Anthony S. Ramirez

Reviewed March 4, 2012

We just got back from our overnight stay. We were skeptical at first but found the hotel to be very clean. The rooms were huge, definitely liked the seperate living room. There is a free hotel shuttle that we used to go to the casino and it was very quick when we ordered it and picked us right up when we were ready to leave. It was only a one night stay but we would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled as a couple

Hello, Thank you for your feedback regarding you stay at the Host Inn. We're excited for your next visit and hope to see you soon.

Anthony S. Ramirez