“How to get the cheapest hotel rate”

Hilton Garden Inn Wilkes Barre
Ranked #4 of 21 Hotels in Wilkes-Barre
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed March 22, 2012

I don't travel very often but this hotel was recommended to me as a place to stay on my way from Ottawa to Florida

The hotel was excellent. The staff were friendly and the room was very nice. It was also close to a casino that my wife and I visited.

The only problem that I had was with the amount I had to pay for my room.
When I phoned to make a reservation, I thought I was booking directly with the hotel but I was diverted to Expedia who made the arrangements for me. I was told by Expedia that they were able to get me a special rate of $112.80 including Taxes and fees.
When I checked into the hotel the clerk at the reception desk looked surprised when I handed my confirmation with the $112.80 on it that I had prepaid a couple of weeks before my trip.

When I checked out the nest day, on March 11 I received a printed invoice from the hotel showing total room and taxes amounting to $92.07
This means that my phone call that I thought was directly to the hotel cost me an extra $20.73 because Expedia answered the call.
I admit to feeling ripped off but I guess I learned a lesson that I will try to utilize the next time I travel - I.e. I will try to not go through Expedia.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Glen074
Megan R, General Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Wilkes Barre, responded to this reviewResponded March 25, 2012

Thank you for staying at the Hilton Garden Inn Wilkes-Barre. We are glad you had an enjoyable experience while traveling to Florida. I am sorry to hear there was a rate issue while making your reservations. Our front desk representatives would be delighted to take your reservation and ensure they get you the lowest rate possible. Please call us directly at 570-820-8595. I apologize for any inconveniences, and thank you for your review. We hope to see you soon when traveling back!

Reviewed March 12, 2012

Stayed at the Hilton on March 11th and had a great time. Hotel was nice and in a very convenient area to everything. Was shuttled over to casino and won a little money.Driver very pleasant and accommodating.When we were done we called for a ride back.Loved the service and room would stay again in future.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled as a couple

Thank you for staying at the Hilton Garden Inn Wilkes-Barre. We are so happy to hear you had a great experience while visiting the Mohegan Sun Casino! We appreciate the feedback and hope to see you soon!

Reviewed February 22, 2012

Booked at the last minute for an overnight stay while visiting the Mohegan Sun in Wilkes-Barre, PA. We booked because they provided shuttle service to the casino. We were a bit concerned it would be very noisy because the hotel was full and most of the people were attending a weekend kids hockey tournament. The room was very well appointed and very clean. The bed was probably one of the most comfortable hotel bed I've been in in a LONG time. Check in was quick and when we asked about a AAA discount it was applied. Called our friends to remind them to use their AAA discount and the woman at the desk said they don't give discounts when the rooms are sold out. Very strange. When our friends informed them that we had received it earlier, then the discount was applied. Never heard of such a thing! Only glitch was when we used the shuttle to come back. We called like we were asked to and it took 45 minutes for them to make the 5 minute drive. The woman that picked us up was very apologetic, but the woman behind the desk (that took the call) was NASTY ! I think she needs a job NOT in the service industry! All in all would stay there again.

Room Tip: Make sure you ask upfront about discounts and a smoking/non smoking room. They offer both.
  • Stayed: February 2012, traveled as a couple
Megan R, General Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Wilkes Barre, responded to this reviewResponded February 23, 2012

Thank you for staying at the Hilton Garden Inn Wilkes-Barre. We are glad you enjoyed a great nights sleep while visiting the Mohegan Sun Casino! I am sorry to hear your family had a bad experience with a member of our team. I will investigate the situation and ensure it does not occur again. We appreciate the feedback on the shuttle. Unfortunately, we have one van that services all the hotel and it may have been assisting another guest. Thank you for all of your review, I look forward to working with my team to better our service. Again, I apologize for any inconveniences, we hope to see you soon!

Reviewed January 31, 2012

A friend and I stayed at the Hilton Garden Inn over Christams. The service was great and the location was super convenient. They were very welcoming. The room was clean and the staff was accomodating. I liked the fact that you can adjust the firmness of your bed to suit your needs. They shuttled us to and from the casino. We were told that the shuttle was 24hrs. I'm not sure if that was just for the holidays or not, but it was fantastic. We called and they came rather quickly. We had breakfast downstairs. It was pretty good. The staff was very friendly, especially the chef. I was surprised by that considering they were working on christmas morning. The pooI was smaller than I thought and I didn't even bother going in, but I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled with friends
Megan R, General Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Wilkes Barre, responded to this reviewResponded February 14, 2012

Thank you for allowing us to be your choice in travel for the holidays when visiting Wilkes-Barre. We are glad you had a great time and enjoyed the facilities! Thank you for the comments, they are vital to our success and we appreciate your feedback! We look forward to seeing you and your friends again soon!

Reviewed January 5, 2012

The staff at this very clean hotel were very friendly...It has a prime location very close to numerous restaurants...

High quality breakfast. It has to be one of the best hotels in the area.

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled as a couple

Thank you for your comments about our Hilton Garden Inn Wilkes-Barre! We are so happy you had a great experience. We want to be your first choice when visiting the area. Would you be able to share your favorite restaurant with us? We would love assist in the future with reservations or a free appetizer. We hope to see you both again soon!

Reviewed January 2, 2012

Great place, in WIlkes Barre,close to Mohegan sun casino & arena. Great food and shopping near by

• Stayed: December 2011

Thank you so much for staying at the Hilton Garden Inn Wilkes-Barre! We are glad you had a great time while visiting the Mohegan Sun Casino! The Mohegan Sun Arena hosts tons of concerts and activities year round, and we hope to be your number one choice when visiting. We look forward to seeing you soon!

Reviewed December 30, 2011

This is a nice clean Garden Inn conveniently located to shops, restaurants and the Mohegan Sun Arena. Pool and fitness center looked really nice. Staff was friendly. Walls seem kind of thin...heard folks up, showering and talking very early in the morning. But we would stay here again (and probably will since it's just around the corner from Wegmans...which is an obligatory stop every time we are headed home on I-80 and I-81).
Breakfast looks nice but with so many other options in the area, $10.95 seems kind of steep. We ate elsewhere.

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled with family

Thank you for staying at the Hilton Garden Inn Wilkes-Barre! We are glad you had an enjoyable stay while traveling home! Next time you are in the area, we can offer you a first time guest discount coupon to our restaurant. I would recommend our breakfast, we have an abundant selection of options for every dietary restriction. Thank you for the comments. We looking forward to seeing you again soon!