“Impressive!”

Comfort Inn & Suites
Ranked #11 of 21 Hotels in Wilkes-Barre
Reviewed February 12, 2013

From the friendly Front Desk staff to the fresh fruit available all day, clean down pillows and comforters and spotless room, I was overly impressed with this Comfort Inn.
We stayed for a weekend during the AMSOIL Arenacross race, which was on Saturday. We checked in Friday evening, unsure of what the area had to offer aside from the upcoming dirtbike race. After a quiet, peaceful night in our room, we ventured out early Saturday to expore.
Note: If you head into town, be prepared to sit at red light after red light after red light after......
We came across a family operated diner, S&W, with great breakfast and a staff that made us feel right at home.
We headed back to our hotel for a nap (hey, we're on vacation right), then ran up the road to find the massive "PIEROGI" sign we had noticed off of I-80. The owner directed us to Krugel's Deli (which looks like a deli/six-pack shop) up the street for a sit down lunch, since his shop was take out only.
Krugel's deserves its own post. Craft beer drinkers we are, I have never felt so overwhelmed in my life. Four new beers and two plates of the best pierogi ever (try the farmers cheese, and sweet cabbage was great too), we left with sixers to take home. Check this place out, you will not regret it. The gem of Wilkes-Barre, in my opinion.
We roamed around until the race, not finding much else to do (seemed a lot of local spots were closed due to the snow storm).
All in all, Wilkes-Barre and the Comfort Inn receive an A++ from me. Everyone in the town is incredibly friendly, and the hotel was immaculately clean. It even smelles clean in the hallways, which is rare for a hotel!

Room Tip: Our room was actually facing the Interstate side and was very quiet, believe it or not.
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Christina P

Reviewed January 22, 2013

We stayed here between Christmas and New years. I was unbelievable impressed with the condition and overall feel of the hotel entrance. The desk staff was friendly...there is nothing worse than poor service. The breakfast was just what we needed including hot water for tea and fresh fruit. The room didn't have a flat screen tv...the only down side, besides not having swimming suit to go in the pool (after we saw others going swimming). New Climate control, awesome bed linens, bathroom floor corners clean, and everything worked. We look forward to staying at this Hotel during our next visit. Surely the most bang for the buck in the area.

Room Tip: There is good parking around the entire hotel so any room would likely be convenient.
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Matthew K
ComfortInnandSuites, Manager at Comfort Inn & Suites, responded to this reviewResponded January 24, 2013

Thank you for your kind words about our property. I just wanted you to know that our entire property has flat screen TV's except our three largest suites. Unfortunately the piece of furniture that holds the TV in those rooms doesn't fit a flat screen TV. We are planning on changing that for the future. Thank you again for staying with us during your holiday.

Reviewed January 18, 2013

This hotel is my go to place every time I'm in the area. I have stayed here about fifteen times over the years. I have family in the surrounding towns. This hotel is well maintained and it shows. The rooms are clean neat. The staff is very pleasant. Also, it's pretty quiet for having I-80 right there. They have a pretty good complimentary breakfast and a lovely indoor pool. When I'm not visiting with relatives, I drive a mile to the right and it's literally a shopper's paradise. Any kind of restaurant or retail store imaginable is here.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed December 29, 2012

We arrived at this hotel during a winter storm driving from Ottawa, ON, Canada. After about 8 hours on the road in storm conditions from Binghamton, NY we needed a refuge. We had picked up a Room Saver booklet at the NY tourist center near Alexander Bay and found this hotel listed for about $70. We thought this was great value. On arrival shortly after 4:00PM we were warmly greated and promply checked in. We were informed of all of the hotel's amenities. It has a wonderful little "Pickles Pub" and is handy to numerous eateries within a couple of miles. We went to Smokey Bones. An extensive breakfast is included.

The room on the fouth floor was very clean and well appointed including a mini fridge and microwave.

In our opinion this hotel offered all that we needed under the circumstances and my wife and I would highly recommed it. Great value for money at this price.

Room Tip: We got a room on the west side away from I81.
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 13, 2012

First visit to this area and stayed at Choice Hotel's Comfort Inn. I usually get a good feel for a hotel by it's lobby, and I got a Real good feeling when we walked into the beautifully appointed and clean lobby. The clerks were friendly and efficient and we were quickly in our spacious, clean, and comfortable rooms. Beds were firm, my preference. Internet was easy to log on to using the provided code, and fast. Rates were reasonable, parking well lit and plentiful. Very convenient to highway, with a Perkins restaurant in the parking lot. Haven't checked out the breakfast bar yet but if it's not up to par I'll let you know.
As others have noted, this Comfort Inn actually has a little pub on premise which is nice if you don't want to venture out. I would recommend this hotel for whatever your traveling needs might be.

Room Tip: Ask for room away from interstate side if you are a light sleeper.
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank Larry S
Reviewed November 7, 2012

I don't think of Wilkes-Barre as a vacation spot, but for a stopover on the way to somewhere else, the Comfort Inn & Suites is a great choice. It's about a mile from the RT 81S exit, and a 1/4 mile to the on ramp when leaving.

This Comfort Inn is rather unique in that it has a pub on the premise that is open until 11pm, for those who want a drink after a long drive. It also serves pub grub and offers room service until 10pm. Hotel guests get 15% off. There is also a Perkins restaurant right next door where guests get a 10% discount.

Our room itself was clean and comfortable, although I do have a personal bias against the pillows at CS hotels. The breakfast was at the high end of what one expects from CS properties, with eggs, sausages and waffles, along with the usual fruit, bagels, cereal etc.

My only gripe, aside from the pillows, is that they offer the Wall St. Journal all week, but not on Saturday (we stayed on Friday night into Saturday.)

Since I assume they are owned by the same people, let me put a plug in for the Econo Lodge right next store. I normally avoid the EL properties, but this one is light years better than all the others. It's about $30 cheaper than the CS. Either way, you can't go wrong.

Room Tip: Doesn't make a difference.
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank CT-traveler137
Reviewed September 16, 2012

This was our second time staying here and was our primary choice due to our previous experience. Check in/out was seamless. The Front Desk recognized that we were Choice Priviledges members. The room was top notch and the bed very comfortable. Although it is next to the Interstate, very little noise was heard. It was again pleasant to have a bar for a nightcap. The only downside was that the WiFi password changed daily but the staff was very forthcoming to provide it on request. Definitely recommend this location and would stay again.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family