“A hidden gem”

Cafe Toscana
Ranked #7 of 284 Restaurants in Wilkes-Barre
Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Description: http://local.yahoo.com/info-41653809-cafe-toscana-wilkes-barre;_ylt=Am264zZdtq4WhisiFbaV83mHNcIF;_ylv=3?csz=Wilkes-Barre%2C+PA
Reviewed October 26, 2013

Atmosphere is wonderful right down to the fresh rose on the tables.
The service is warm, friendly and attentive.
The food was fresh, with a unique menu, not over salted and beautifully portioned.
My salad was a work of art.
I was brought up and cook home made Italian and this was truly a wonderful menu with attention to detail. We will be back.
As far as the town, it is clean, everyone is friendly and if your young adults are in the colleges there this a great place to treat them.

Reviewed October 3, 2013

My wife ate at Cafe Toscana for the second time last week and again we were pleased with the food and service. At about 7.30pm on a Thursday the restaurant was not crowded but filled up as the evening continued. The all male serving staff were courteous without being chatty and seemed to see themselves as supporting the meal rather than dominating the occasion. My wife is vegetarian and ordered Capelli D'angello Toscana, she enjoyed the flavorful and plentiful serving of shiitake mushrooms, sun-dried tomatoes and arugula in a garlic and olive oil sauce over angel hair pasta. My Pollo Cardinale comprised a large split chicken breast with prosciutto, roasted peppers and mozzarella cheese in a delicious tomato sauce. With a couple of drinks and a tip the bill was quite reasonable at $52.

1  Thank TonyMMM
Reviewed September 4, 2013

My wife and I recently went to the town of Wilkes-Barre, Pa. (Not exactly a great town to visit by the way). We went there to visit our son at college. As the time passed, we became hungry and figured we would just grab something locally. We weren't expecting much by the looks of the surroundings, but the 3 of us all agreed we wanted Italian food. We walked into Cafe Toscana and were immediately impressed by their wine list. They started us off with fresh and I mean fresh Italian bread, (A must at an Italian restaurant) olive oil, and butter. They also give us complimentary bruschetta. Then we placed our order for appetizers, and dinner. We had Caesar salad, and entrees of Calamari with linguini, Veal Saltimbocca, and Rigatoni Bolognese. Everything was made fresh, everything was great tasting and the service was excellent. Also the prices were very reasonable. As I seem to wind up mentioning in all my reviews, I am born and raised in New Jersey and absolutely know good Italian food when I taste it. I would absolutely recommend this restaurant and cannot wait until our next visit to see our son and go back for hopefully another great meal. "What A Sleeper"!

Reviewed August 19, 2013

More negatives than positives here. The service was awful. Stood at the front door for many minutes before someone approached us. When seated the server unbelievably never asked if we would like to order a drink. When we did he never came back to ask if we would like another. And of course this mystery man never asked us if everything was ok with our meal. Amateurish at best.
Food was fair to middlin'. Pasta was served oversalted. Really? Please see Meal Preparation 101. When asking for more marinara sauce for the snow white linguine they delivered a different sauce than was on the dish. Portions were fine and the original sauce was tasty. The veal stuffed pasta was the highlight. That was quite good. Oh, and the breadbasket was a throw away.
We were really looking for a go-to place for when we are in Wilkes Barre which is often and is not exactly an epicurean destination but they gave us no reason to return. And what's with the picture shown above? This is not a picture of this restaurant.

Reviewed August 9, 2013

We were immediately greeted, seated, ans given fresh bread and olive oil, as well as fresh brushetta. We ordered asperagas ravioli, lasagna, and the kids ordered the 3 chese and spinach ravioli. The food selections are plentiful, the prices are very reasonable and the taste was incredible! The dessert was good, not as incredible as the dinner.