“Best value, comfort and cleanliness I've ever experienced”

Hampton Inn & Suites Wilkes-Barre
Ranked #1 of 20 Hotels in Wilkes-Barre
Hempstead, Texas
“Best value, comfort and cleanliness I've ever experienced”
Reviewed October 30, 2012

Any port in a storm would have done - we were running from Hurricane sandy in New York, driving west to get to the closest open airport to fly home from. Wilkes-Barre was our halfway point and I was looking to book a hotel with easy access right off the highway, and the Hampton Inn best fit the bill. At such a terrible time, we found an oasis. For about $150 a night, we ended up at a hotel that was on par with the most expensive Hilton I have ever stayed at. The decor is upscale and stylish, our room and bath exceedingly clean and fresh-faced (tile in the foyer!) and a bed that is super, super comfy. The only thing that interrupted our sleep was the howling wind from the storm.

When I stay at hotels I always use the fitness center. The fitness center here is large and very well appointed with several ellipticals and treadmills, free weights, two televisions, and a couple of stationary bikes and pilates balls. One of the best fitness centers I've experienced. There is also an indoor pool that my daughter used and I could keep a watch on her through the glass wall of the fitness center.

This is such a nice hotel that I wish I was here for a frequent stop -- I'd stay again in a heartbeat.

The negatives are so few that I can't think of a single one.. so if you are in the Wilkes-Barre area and want one of the best hotel values available in the US, stay here.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (54)
Reviewed October 20, 2012 via mobile

We stopped on the way home from Maine, very clean room, the best bed and pillows on our vacation, room was reasonably priced. Have not had breakfast yet hopefully it will be as good as everything else with this hotel.

• Stayed October 2012
1 Thank harleyhoss
Reviewed October 10, 2012

I love my Hilton points! I have stayed at this Hampton Inn many times for business travel. I either stay at this Hampton or the HGI across the street. I like things about each place and a few things I don't like. First of all...the staff at the Hampton is much friendlier and happier than the HGI. It is noticable! I like the layout of the Hampton rooms...but unfortunately I struggle with the remote since the TV is higher and further away from the bed. I have to hold the remote high in the air to change the volume & channels. The Hampton in is a newer property.
The restaurants are not really in walking distance at the Hampton like they are at the HGI...at least on a cold rainy fall night they are too far! Anyway...overall both the Hampton & HGI make for a nice stay. I would not travel here for vacation...but it works well for business!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Martinez, Georgia
Reviewed October 1, 2012 via mobile

This hotel is an easy on/off from Rt 81 and is close to several fuel stations and restaurants. The young man on desk duty around 7 pm was very friendly and helpful. The first accommodation we were given was well appointed - and except for the stink bugs that had taken up residence in the room, it would have rated higher than average. (I also found a long hair quite visibly waving from a wash cloth on the sink... ). The desk clerk kindly offered a different room assignment when he saw my husband bring another bug downstairs to be released outdoors. The second room was described as 'an upgrade' so we said good-bye to rhe bugs and packed up. The second was bugles and hairless but appeared more worn. The sofa, which apparently constituted the room as 'an upgrade' needed an upgrade (worn and dingy) and the carpet was frayed. But... We slept well - until we heard the vacuum cleaner at 8:30 - and breakfast was nicely presented. Overall, we felt the hotel tried to present a comfortable overnight stay.

• Stayed September 2012
Ashtabula, Ohio
Reviewed September 25, 2012

This Hampton is in a great location. The facility itself seems new and is very clean. The breakfast area is very pleasant. This has nothing to do with my stay but I do have a concern. When we arrived, no one was at the front desk. In fact, the clerk was on a break with no coverage. Several guests began to show up and we all waited. Some checked themselves in. Hampton needs to cross train their employees so they can cover for each other. The person at the front desk is responsible for all guests in the hotel. He/she is the eyes for security. During the day there are plenty of staff but not in the evening. I understand that situations occur so I do not want anyone fired over this because the person sure learned a lesson from those waiting and was very pleasant...just trying to make a living. We all learn from our mistakes and I am sure this clerk did.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Louisville, Kentucky
Reviewed September 24, 2012

This hotel was beautiful and it's employees were great. Can't say enough about the front desk clerk Megan who took care of my whole family, all 19 of us. Pool and breakfast were great. Rooms very large and clean.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Sicklerville Nj
Reviewed September 16, 2012

This in my 2nd time staying here and it is by far the best Hampton Inn i've stayed at. The beds are super comfortable and the rooms are well decorated. The breakfast is verey good here and the best part is its free! This is by far the best place to stay in Wilkes-Barre.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family