“Very good for a hotel of this stature”

Hampton Inn & Suites Wilkes-Barre
Ranked #1 of 20 Hotels in Wilkes-Barre
NY
“Very good for a hotel of this stature”
Reviewed February 4, 2012

In a nutshell, check in was fast and friendly; the King room was clean and of adequate size, the bed was comfortable. Morning breakfast is fine with decent tasting coffee, fruit, cereals, bagels, danish, etc available. Bob Evans is within walking distance. There is a Crackle Barrel and Red Robbin, Wal Mart, Chinese buffet restaurant across the street. There is no microwave in the room, but dining options are plentiful in the immediate area. I was in for just a night, so i didn't check for higher quality restaurants. Since this Hampton is just a few years old, the overall property looks fresh and well maintained.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled on business
Lori B, Director of Sales at Hampton Inn & Suites Wilkes-Barre, responded to this review, February 27, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to write a review about your recent stay at the Hampton Inn. We are surrounded by restaurants and shopping. Less than a mile away you would find the mall, and many more dining options. In all of our king standard rooms and suites we do have microwaves and refrigerators, so I am unsure of why you would not of had a microwave. If you would like to discuss this in more detail please call 570.824.1005. We hope to see you again soon!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (54)
Eugene, Oregon
Reviewed January 22, 2012

If you are passing thru Wilkes-Barre, PA and need a place to stay, I highly recommend this Hampton Inn & Suites. My daughters and I were very impressed with the hospitality we received and the comfortable and contemporary look of this hotel which is only two years old. Our rooms were quite spacious with comfortable beds and furnished quite nicely. After checking into our rooms we received a call asking if everything was to our satisfaction and if we needed any assistance please let them know. This overture was appreciated. To add to our convenience were nearby restaurants and the fact that the hotel was also set back away from traffice and noise. Since we had a very early flight out of Scranton airport the next morning, to our surprise, there were on the go lunch bags filled with breakfast snacks for us and other travelers set up in the lobby area. Just another wonderful gesture we thought was a sign of hospitality that you do not see often in hotels these days. Overall, we rate this Hampton Inn & Suites a great place to stay!

• Stayed January 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Lee927
We are so glad to hear you enjoyed your stay! We strive in customer service so I am glad that we impressed you and your daughters. The breakfast to go bags is great and very convenient which is offered at all Hampton Inn’s Monday- Friday. We hope that the next time you are in town we see you at the Hampton!
Cincinnati, Ohio
Reviewed January 17, 2012

Stayed just one night, and not much more than about 12 hours. Things started a little rocky as I was told to go to a certain room which was clearly occupied (thankfully the key didn't work). When I arrived in the room the heat was off so it was quite chilly. Also, after a long day of travel I wanted a beer but the hotel does not have a bar or any alcohol on premises.

On the plus side, the room was spacious and comfortable. The next morning the breakfast was good. The business center did what I needed it to do. The front desk helped me get a cab and then arranged for the on-site shuttle to take me to the airport later. They were gracious when I asked to check out 30 minutes late.

Agree with the prior comment that there was no street noise. Indeed, I wish the hotel were a little closer to the main street. It sits far back from the highway so while it seems like Starbucks or bars/restaurants are close, if you don't have a car, the hotel sits so far back (with a pointlessly winding drive), that the places might as well be forever away.

Anyway, the hotel was fine. If in the area again, I presume I'd stay there.

Stayed January 2012, traveled on business
Thank you for staying at the Hampton Inn and taking the time to write a review. I apologize about your room mix up, but am glad to hear that you enjoyed your room. Unfortunately we do not have a bar onsite; Lucky’s which is at the bottom of the hill is a bar and restaurant that does do room service. If you are in the area on a Tuesday night we do host a manager’s reception for our guests which features light food and beverages. We hope to see you again.
Syracuse, New York
Reviewed January 9, 2012

At first sight I was a little put off by how close to a busy highway it was, but the sound of traffic was very, very well dampened and was virtually unnoticeable in the room or in the lobby.

We were greeted with a helpful staff and given an option of what floor we wanted to stay on. We were also invited to the 24 hour coffee bar which included tea and hot cocoa and still warm, freshly baked cookies. Check-in was a breeze and the staff was not hindered at all by the fact that we had reserved online through their website. (We also earned a boatload of points towards a free night's stay etc through their HHonors program). We were also invited to use the pool & spa which we didn't utilize so I can not comment on it, but we looked in on it and it appeared clean with clear water in each area.

We stayed in a king suite w/ kitchenette on the first floor. The ceilings were super high and the room was very large and comfortable. The room design is well thought out with excellent lighting options. Loved the fact that the table lamps had built in outlets, perfect for charging your cell bedside. Also in the room were well placed notepads and pens along with a helpful hotel & area guide binder and a portable laptop desk for using on the bed. A medium sized desk and comfortable leather chair along with a secondary chair across the desk, made easy to use as a dining table. Plentiful counter-top space in the kitchenette which included a sink, and a large vanity which included the bathroom sink. Two large mirrors over the both counter-tops and the closet was a full sized double door mirror. Overall the room was large and very modern.

I have only stayed in one other Hilton branded hotel (compliments of LAX and an airline) but it was the most comfortable bed I had ever slept in. While Hampton's beds are not exactly the same as Hilton LAX, they were very comfortable. The beds are slightly on the firm side, but seem to become slightly body forming after about a minute, overall very pleasant. I wanted to keep the pillows! The top one was super light and fluffy and the one behind it was a perfect match to provide support. Also there was a conveniently placed stool/table at the end of the bed.

I don't travel much and I have only encountered complimentary breakfasts that consist of coffee, juice and doughnuts, maybe bagels. Since that was all I was expecting I was personally very impressed by the breakfast spread, each day of our trip there were egg and meat options, hot oatmeal with a variety of toppings, fresh fruit and cut fresh fruit, DIY belgian waffles *my favorite!* and an assortment of pastries and breads also dry cereal with milk, coffee, many assorted teas and three different fruit juices. I literally had the waffles everyday, and I also had the sausage gravy and a biscuit one day. Condiments were thoughtful and I noticed different types of butter/margarine and both sugar-free and regular syrup. There were also medium sized bowls with lids presumably for the oatmeal, fruit or cereal, which I found considerate for those who didn't have time to stay and eat.

The breakfast area seemed to close promptly at 10 am, which didn't bother me as I had already finished the one day we ate late, but there were others still dining although I didn't see or hear anyone complaining I thought that was a little odd.

The disposable cutlery is eco-friendly, as are the coffee cups and outer rings (so you don't burn your hand) I found all of these adequate except the butterknives, which didn't quite have enough sharpness to adequately cut the waffles.... That did not stop me from enjoying them, lol!

We stayed at this hotel over New Years Eve weekend, so I expected higher than normal rates and was very pleasantly surprised to find out otherwise, the most expensive night was $140. I personally thought $140 was a steal and in my hometown it is rare to find a nice hotel at that rate. The rates for our other nights were even lower. When we decided to extend our stay for an extra two days & I was shocked to get a rate of $109---- again we were in a king suite w/kitchenette.

This hotel is in the vicinity of Mohegan Sun, probably about 3 miles away. Also within 1.5 miles were just about any store & restaurant you could think of either stand alone or in strip malls or conventional malls. Convenient access for travelers to the major roads nearby.

Room Tip: Our room on the first floor offered convenient access to our car, it was very quiet despite a nearby...
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
Thank you so much for taking the time to write a review in such detail. We were very delighted to hear how happy you were with your stay! We hope you stay at the Hampton Inn Wilkes-Barre next time you are in the area!
Ont
Reviewed January 5, 2012

This was one of several Hampton Inns that we booked through the US and we were quite surprised with the high(er) cost of the room, compared with the other six (Hampton) properties in which we stayed in various US states. With an AAA card, a 5% (only) discount was given from the ( Monday) rate of $145. The property is typical of other Hampton's but the only one we stayed in without a chair in the room (other than the chair at the desk).We had to be moved from the first room that was assigned as the odour in the room was significant. Overall, we rated this specific Hampton Inn at the lower end compared wtih the others we stayed in.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Ontmajo
Lori B, Director of Sales at Hampton Inn & Suites Wilkes-Barre, responded to this review, January 8, 2012
Thank you for staying at the Hampton Inn Wilkes-Barre. We appreciate you taking the time to give us your feedback about our hotel. Throughout the United States hotels are priced accordingly to the area, and we are set competitively for our market. I would be happy to discuss any additional comments you may have about our hotel you can reach me at (570)824-1005 or via email Lori.Blakeslee@hilton.com. Thank you!
New York City, New York
Reviewed December 9, 2011

This hotel is is very clean and very comfortable. The rooms are very well designed and the staff is very attentive to the guests. This hotel is a great value.

Room Tip: The highway runs by the rear of the hotel so the front rooms may be quieter.
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled with family
Lori B, Director of Sales at Hampton Inn & Suites Wilkes-Barre, responded to this review, December 26, 2011
Thank you so much for taking the time to share your experience at the Hampton Inn. We hope to see you again!
Amsterdam, New York, United States
Reviewed November 30, 2011

I have the pleasure at staying at this hotel several times a month for business. I have tried others in the area but this is truely the best deal, location, cleanliness, and personallity. The staff here goes above and beyond to make sure your stay is perfect. They are super responsive to my needs and I always feel important. The hotel is very well laid out and spacious with updated technology in the rooms, especially Flat Screen TVs! I will continue to use this hotel as my main hub for my business travel.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled on business
Lori B, Director of Sales at Hampton Inn & Suites Wilkes-Barre, responded to this review, December 2, 2011
Thank you for the thoughtful words about our hotel and staff. We love having you here and glad you come to the Hampton Inn frequently! We are all looking forward to seeing you soon.