“Very Nice Fairfield”

Fairfield Inn & Suites Wilkes-Barre Scranton
Ranked #9 of 20 Hotels in Wilkes-Barre
Reviewed February 13, 2014

I am always uneasy when I book a Fairfield Inn for the first time as they seem to be the crap shoot of the Marriott chain. This one was a good one. The staff was very pleasant and helpful. The hotel was clean and nicely laid out. The rooms were of average size and with the standard modern Marriott amenities. The parking lot was big enough to handle the size of the hotel and was well lit. The area was also nice with plenty of things to do and places to eat within a short distance. The internet at the hotel was better than most. I experienced better than 1MB up and down for the entire stay (dslreports.com). The breakfast was also nice with some hot and cold offerings. Overall I would recommend this hotel for business travelers. They did a nice job.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled on business
mnafus, General Manager at Fairfield Inn & Suites Wilkes-Barre Scranton, responded to this reviewResponded February 27, 2014

Hello, and thank you for staying with us! I am delighted to hear that you enjoyed your stay, and have shared your comments with our staff. We hope to see you again in the future! Have a wonderful day.

There are newer reviews for Fairfield Inn & Suites Wilkes-Barre Scranton

Reviewed February 10, 2014 via mobile

We stayed here in the summer of 2013.

Pros: The room had two TV's which was a plus. There was a small half wall that separated the queen bed from the pullout sofa, which offered a little privacy.

There was your typical Marriott hot breakfast including eggs and sausage.

The hotel had a good sized indoor pool set at good temperature. It wasn't too cold which is one of my pet peeves with hotels being too cheap to heat their heated pools.

There was a mini fridge in the room which is a bonus.

The hotel is close to the mall and a casino and you can walk through the parking lot to TGI Fridays.

Cons: I poured a cup of coffee for my wife around 7pm (coffee in the lobby) and it was room temperature cold. Clearly whoever's job it is to keep hot coffee out wasn't doing their job.

There were 2 hot tubs, but one of them wasn't working.

Overall a decent hotel with some room to improve.

Stayed: July 2013

Thank you for taking the time to review us! I have shared all of your comments with my staff and we appreciate you sharing both the pros and cons of your stay; we know what areas we need to focus on improving first. I am pleased that you enjoyed your stay overall, and hope to be able to serve you in the future. Thank you again for the comments, and have a wonderful day!

Reviewed February 9, 2014

I stayed at this Hotel for 6 months, while my house was being remodeled. To be honest I can't say enough to praise this hotel and my stay experience. From the management to all the co workers, made my stay almost like family. Front desk, Gym, Pool, elevators, hallways, all especially clean. I would say my room was so clean you could eat off the floors. Hats off to the wonderful people who keep that hotel running in tip top shape.
Many years I have stayed at Fairfield Inns & Suites. By far this was the best.

Room Tip: Choose wisely there are plenty of great places to stay.
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank Jay G
mnafus, General Manager at Fairfield Inn & Suites Wilkes-Barre Scranton, responded to this reviewResponded May 15, 2014

Thank you so much for the wonderful comments! We appreciate the opportunity to serve you! We work hard to satisfy our guests & thank you for noticing our efforts.

Take care & hope to see you in the future!

Reviewed January 20, 2014

My husband and I stayed here for one night. We chose it because it was close to Mohegan Sun and I had received a Marriott gift card recently. Upon check-in, we were assigned a room on the first floor which we then asked to switch to a higher floor. When we walked into our room on the third floor, the smell of smoke hit both of us. We decided to go back to the front desk, where we were told that someone had smoked in that room a few days before and they were still working to get the smell out. He apologized for the inconvenience and upgraded us to a king suite, which was much appreciated. The suite was very nice - plenty of room, bathroom was clean, beds were soft. We didn't have a lot of noise from the hallway but the radiator was fairly loud and rattled a lot - we eventually shut if off in the middle of the night. We slept late and missed the free breakfast so can't speak to that. It was less than 10 minutes down the road from Mohegan Sun. The front desk gave us each $10 in slot play coupons (unfortunately, did not win anything from it). Overall we had a nice stay and would likely stay there again if we are in the area.

Room Tip: Ask for a suite if possible.
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple

Thank you very much for staying with us here in Wilkes-Barre! I was disappointed to hear about your room issues upon your check-in, but am very pleased that my staff was able to reconcile the issues. We certainly hope we will have the opportunity to serve you again! Enjoy your day!

Reviewed January 18, 2014

We stayed here recently when we learned my mother was close to passing away. We made the reservation for January 1 arrival, but had to keep delaying our arrival since we decided to stay with my father following her passing on January 1. We called the hotel and they were more than accommodating. Same thing happened the second day... and the third day. We finally were able to check in on the 4th and stay through the 6th.

The entire staff, from our initial conversation with Yodi at the front desk, to the ladies at breakfast, to the housekeeping staff, to Michael, the General Manager, everyone was cordial, friendly and very accommodating. This is now our preferred location in the Scranton/Wilkes-Barre area.

Room Tip: Tucked away behind the TGI Friday, some rooms face Rt. 309, some face Kidder Street. We were on the...
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled with family

Hello,

Thank you for taking the time to write this review! We do remember you and your situation and all I can say is we were so glad to be able to accomodate you. It's our biggest goal to make our guests comfortable and feel at home here, and I am glad you were so pleased with your stay. If we can ever assist you any way again, please do not hesitate to contact us. Thank you again for your kind words!

Reviewed January 3, 2014

We stayed here twice in December – on our way to and from Ohio. We have stayed here before, and like it because of the free shuttle to the casino. Check in was easy, although on our 2nd trip we were charged $2 more than our reservation – not a big deal and we didn’t notice it until we returned home. The hotel was renovated when we visited in 2012, but it starting to show wear already (at least in the room we were in). Lots of scuffs on the walls, halls needed a good vacuuming and our toilet needed maintenance (we were in the same room both stays!) The bed was comfortable and the room was clean and quiet. The breakfast staff was super sweet, as was the shuttle driver.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
mnafus, General Manager at Fairfield Inn & Suites Wilkes-Barre Scranton, responded to this reviewResponded February 14, 2014

Hello, and thank you for taking the time to review us! I am very pleased to hear you enjoyed your stay with us, and thank you for sharing your concerns and comments with us. I have discussed your concerns with the hallway carpeting, wall scuffs and toilet maintenence with my staff and we are working to improve in those areas. Again, we truly appreciate your comments, and please do not hesitate to contact me directly if there is anything else I can do for you. Thank you!

Reviewed December 9, 2013

I stayed at this property during Thanksgiving travel and it was pretty average. The bed was very comfortable, that's the main good point. The room we were in seemed a little run down with streaks on the walls and the bathroom seemed outdated. We were the room next to the elevator which really shouldn't be rented out unless the hotel is full. We heard quite a bit of activity during the evening, laziness prevented us from requesting a new room. It wasn't until late at night that we realized the smoke detector was located directly above the bed, a weird location as the light was flashing all night, very annoying for a couple of light sleepers. Why not have it in the hall within the room? The room next to the elevator is also right above the reception entrance, so we also heard lots of activity of people entering the hotel. This seems like a bit of a party hotel in a way, right next to TGI Fridays. Maybe it was just because it was a Friday night. I probably wouldn't stay here again, didn't love the location or the views out the windows. Decent enough for the price though. Free breakfast was typical, would love more sugarless options like plain yogurt.

Room Tip: Avoid the rooms near the elevator if you are sensitive to sound.
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple

Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts and concerns. We strive to be the very best and it seems with your stay, we fell a little short of your -- and our -- expectations. I strongly apologize for the inconveniences you experienced during your time with us. If I can be of any more assistance or you have any additional comments, please don't hesitate to give the hotel a call. We certainly would love to see you here in the future!