“A great find in Wilkes-Barre”

Cork Bar and Restaurant
Ranked #6 of 294 Restaurants in Wilkes-Barre
Good for: Romantic, Bar scene
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Reservations
Reviewed February 25, 2013

I can't believe I live only a few miles from this place and haven't tried it until recently! We decided to try Cork because of the good reviews here on TA. I e-mailed Ruth (owner) the night before we needed our reservations thinking that we would never get a response - But to our suprise, bright and early the next day she responsed and was able to accommodate us.

My husband and I were a little worried when we saw the residential location of this place and the look of the building, but we kept an open mind and entered. The bar area is beautiful. You would never think you are in WB. We were escorted upstairs to a nice, small dining room. You can tell that this place was once a home - there are numerous smaller dining rooms connected by doorways. My husband and I both ordered NY strip steak. The steaks were both a little under-cooked and under-seasoned, which were were disappointed with. They were better with some steak sauce. The sides, veggies, drinks, salads, and deserts were wonderful. The menu had many interesting items on it and we would like to go back and try some other dishes. The ambiance was nice, the staff was friendly. Overall a good experience. We will definitely return.

1  Thank Orange2Traveler

Reviewed February 16, 2013

We found ourselves in Wilkes-Barre for an overnight stay and decided to give Cork a try based on Trip Advisor recommendations. It's out of the way - in the middle of a residential area - but what appeared to be a quiet corner bar turned out to be a lively place. To be honest, the food was nothing special, and the menu is a bit heavy handed on the creams and cheese, but the wait staff was pleasant enough, and the evening was enjoyable.

3  Thank penk18
Reviewed February 12, 2013

A business associate was visiting WIlkes Barre and I needed a fabulous restaurant. Cork's was my first choice for the elegant, relaxing atmosphere and I knew they have a great wine selection. We ordered the stuffed olives which are sinfully rich and tasty. The service was cordial and friendly, and the entrees were prepared to perfection. My Harrisburg colleague told me that she didn't believe she was in a WIlkes-Barre restaurant. If you want to feel like your at a local hot spot, then visit the first floor bar and enjoy the pub menu. If you want a classy, delicious dinner, then traipse upstairs to the second floor dining room. By the way, Ruth Corcoran is the best hostess!

Reviewed February 9, 2013

I come to Wilkes Barre often for business and never visit without going to Cork. The atmosphere is perfect for a large group, quiet date night with your love or to just relax at the bar by yourself. It is homey, yet elegant and you feel like you are in a local NY bar in the middle of residential Wilkes Barre. The food is EXCELLENT quality for the price and the menu is very diverse...has an italian feel without being limited. I also love that they have seasonal specials to change it up. The wine and cocktail list/selection is fantastic and the service is always great. Cork never lets me down and it wont let you down either. If you are going to be in the Wilkes Barre area you must go here! And if you like olives and blue cheese...you will fall in love with the fried blue cheese stuffed olives - they are to die for. Enjoy!

1  Thank Lindsay M
Reviewed January 14, 2013

I really like Cork, and I will venture here every once in a while when I want some upscale food. It is in a weird part of Wilkes-Barre and easy to miss, but it's worth the drive. 90% of the time my meal is amazing, unique, and delicious - but there have been a few visits where the food was subpar or the server was inattentive or too new to handle the job. Those visits are rare, though, and I keep coming back.

1  Thank DijitalDharma