“Good Food & Wine”

Ranked #1 of 284 Restaurants in Wilkes-Barre
Good for: Romantic, Bar scene
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Reservations
Reviewed August 10, 2012

Ruth keeps it interesting with weekly and bi-weekly events like wine school, dinner and a movie. The patio is great and is tucked away. Good wine list include flights.

Reviewed July 23, 2012

I have been to Cork a few times over the past year. Because I have a difficult time making a decision my table has shared multiple appetizers. All have been very good with the exception of a coconut chicken app. which was dry. The martinis are always made well and refreshing. I would recommend Cork although I think their dinner entrees are pricey for the area.

1  Thank Marykay512
Reviewed June 9, 2012

Cork Bar and Restaurant is a favorite of mine when traveling from Philadelphia to Wilkes Barre. This restaurant consists of a laid back and inviting bar on the first floor and a more intimate dining room on the second floor. I never leave Cork disappointed! Some of my favorites include the Shrimp and Crab Bolognaise, the Philadelphia Rib-Eye, and the Crab Cakes (easily best in the area). Given their extensive menu and how great the food is the prices are very reasonable. Many of the restaurants that I frequent in the Philadelphia area have similar menus but much higher prices.

1  Thank GoodEats1733
Reviewed May 20, 2012

Have been to this location years ago when it was Spags and even then the food was very good. This place has a very nice feel to it, not sure how to explain that. It was nice enough to be upscale but yet laid-back and fun. Brought my family fo 4 here a few days ago after we couldn't decide on where to go. I was looking for an outside area becuase it was a beautiful night. Yet we decided to sit inside anyway???

The appetizers were all very tempting. We started our whole meal with a wine flight for $8, which is a great idea. We were able to try 3 different reds with the flight and decide on a bottle. We like the "oakwood" which was a Califonia Red. It was very good and was $28.

The highlight of the whole meal was the wine flight, and then the caprese salad which was fresh mozzarella with the proscuitta (spelling is terrible, I know) that was pan fried and added a ton of great flavor. I make caprese salad at home all the time but never have the pan fried proscuitto and it was a great touch. We wolfed that down in seconds.

In fact, I just ordered two apps for my dinner. I did the tuna app with both the Hawiian roll and then tataki. I really liked the tataki but I am not a fan of rolls so I should have known that I wouldn't like them as much. Overall, the app was very good with a nice wasabi mousse and seaweed.

I also had the eggplant rollantini and they were "good" - too much cheese but good.

My wife had the shrimp with a garlic white wine and that was very good - I tried that one - yummy!

My daughter had the salmon with a miso sauce and she ate the whole thing so it must have been very good.

My son had the chicken over penne and it was chicken over penne - what can you say about that.

Talked to the owner for a little while and she was very friendly and the whole place had a great feel.

I think my wife and I will be back a few times a year if not more. Little to nice and upscale for a family but not out of the question.

The location is in a neighborhood directly behind wilkes-barre general hospital and only a few miles from King's college. Nice neighborhood feel like you would find around Philadelphia - IMO.

2  Thank PJM37
Reviewed May 16, 2012

We had lunch at Cork on Mother’s Day 2012. They do take advanced reservations and they were crowded. Along with MD, there were two colleges graduating in the area so I’m not sure how necessary reservations are, but better safe than sorry.

The restaurant is inside of an older home in Wilkes Barre, PA. You will definitely want to use the GPS to find this place as it is smack in the middle of an otherwise sleepy neighborhood. Plenty of parking in their lot or on the surrounding streets.

The food was excellent. This place has built a loyal local following for a reason. The main menu offers all sorts of appetizers and main dishes ranging from seafood to meat and everything in between. They also had a very large specials menu (again it was Mother’s day) and a huge wine list. I did not see any kids items on the main menu and there were only a few (mac&cheese, chicken tenders) items on the special menu for them. It’s a bit upscale for kids anyway. The service was good and there was a nice pace to the meal. We were allowed to enjoy our appetizer without our main course following it too quickly. The bartender made a very good martini as well.

The cost is a bit high, but they are catering to an upscale crowd and that is pretty unique for Wilkes Barre. We will most definitely return.

2  Thank southsideslick