“Wonderful stay!”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Wilkes-Barre
The Frederick Stegmaier Mansion
Ranked #2 of 2 Wilkes-Barre B&B and Inns
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Wonderful stay!”
Reviewed June 10, 2012

We stayed here while visiting family and it was a beautiful retreat. The mansion restoration is amazing. We felt very welcomed; the owner was friendly and attentive. Our continental breakfast was fresh and tasty; there was a nice selection of teas. The suite was roomy and gorgeous. We will definitely stay again!

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
, Pennsylvania, United States
Reviewed March 26, 2012

We stayed here for my birthday and had a wonderful time. Beautifully restored victorian mansion. Had tickets to the Kirby Theater and parked our car at the Mansion and walked the few blocks to dinner and a show. Felt welcomed from the minute we arrived and will definitely do this again!

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
Berkshire, New York
Reviewed March 8, 2012

My father gave us tickets for a show at the Kirby Center and since we much prefer B&B's to hotels I was delighted to find The Stegmaier Mansion link on the Theatre's website and even more delighted when there was a room available. I was in awe from the moment we pulled in...the detail in every room and corner of the house was just amazing...I could spend hours just looking around...Joe was a fantastic host and made us feel right at home from the moment we walked in. Our room was much more than I expected, The fully stocked cupboards and fridge in the kitchenette was a treat not expected...fresh fruit on the table and chocalates on our bed! I loved the optional "traditional" dining room breakfast or "continental" style breakfast that came with our stay...since we were there for a show we chose the latter..and it was nothing like what you would think...Homemade Pastries and Crumb Cake served on a beautiful Silver Tray with a small handwritten note simply saying "good morning" a small flower added just enough to the package to bring it all together...and it was there right outside our door when we woke up...we were able to eat at our liesure in our room..simple and fantastic! It truly is the little things that make this place spectacular!

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
Wilkes-Barre, Pennsylvania
Reviewed August 22, 2011

Even though we live 10 minutes away from the mansion, it was a dream come true for me! Since I was a little girl, I dreamed of living in a Victorian mansion after seeing movies like Mary Poppins and Pollyana. This past weekend, I got to live out my dream even if it was for only 2 days!!
The mansion is exquisite. You can tell that Joe Matteo put his heart and soul into it's restoration. His attention to detail is unbelievable! And the service he provides his guests is unparalleled!! He provides Full Sized Toiletries, chocolates on your bed and in the Amelia Suite where we stayed, a kitchenette is stocked with hot and cold cereal, milk, creamers, juices, chocolate milk, yogurt, apple cider, and fresh fruit. Coffee and tea are provided with a coffee pot so you can make your own whenever you like which is what I really enjoyed. a cup of tea in the evening was heaven! A tray with bagels, muffins and danish was outside our door each morning and since we are early risers, I was amazed that when my husband opened our room door at 6:15 am, there was our breakfast waiting for us!!
Joe Matteo gives you his cell phone number and told us that if we need anything, even a tissue, to just call him.
We have stayed in suites at Caesar's in Atlantic City that cost $1200 - $1600 ( comp rooms)a night and we were not given the service at Caesar's that Joe Matteo provided us during our stay at the mansion!
We also attended the Royal Wedding tea that was held at the mansion that weekend. Chef Jody Klocko is a culinary genius!
We highly recommend the Stegmaier Mansion! And we are looking forward to returning for another visit!!

Room Tip: The Amelia Suite with it's private Sitting Room was fantastic!
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
Harveys Lake, Pa
Reviewed August 20, 2011

We stayed at the mansion for my friends birthday. I have been there before, my husband had not. But from the time we arrived till we left, he could not stop looking around. I have stayed in hotel's before but, this was nothing like that. I was walking into someone's home and it felt great!! Joe went way out of our way to make us feel like that. The room had more that I could ever want. Could not believe it was stocked with everything from juice to cookies, and everything in between. Plus the chocolates on the bed are a nice touch too!! My husband and I can't wait to go back, nothing Yuck about this palace!

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with friends
1 Thank Diana I
Dallas, PA
Reviewed July 23, 2011

We wanted something new to do something that was different to celebrate our 36th wedding anniversary and decided to stay at The Frederick Stegmaier Mansion in Wilkes-Barre. From the moment we stepped into the house we felt that we were living in a time gone by. We were greeted by the owner, Joe Matteo, who proceeded to make our entire stay enjoyable. It was as though we were the masters of the house and he was our personal butler. We wanted for nothing and if we had decided we needed something Joe was never further than a phone call away. He gave us his cell phone number when we confirmed our reservation.
Our room was sumptuous, filled with antiques and decorated exquisitely. The bed was like sleeping on a cloud. The room included a fully stocked kitchenette with hot and cold cereals, a variety of hot and cold drinks, snacks, yogurts, juice and milk. Trays were delivered in the morning containing bagels and pastries with a cheery “Good Morning!” note. We opted not to have the gourmet breakfast because we both needed to come back to the present early the next morning.
We loved our trip into the past and are already planning another stay for my birthday. We are looking forward to another step back in time. I would highly recommend The Frederick Stegmaier Mansion to anyone looking for a quiet place to be pampered and live like royalty in today’s fast paced society.

Room Tip: If you're looking for the best, it's not here. This is better than the best!
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled with family
Toms River
Reviewed July 6, 2011

We read about the Stegmaier Mansion and couldn't wait to stay there, so we booked a night and drove to Wilkes-Barre in anticipation! When we arrived no one was there so we went and found a place on our own to lunch. The house is a masterpiece of victorian showmanship and the owner, Joe Matteo, has gone over the top with his wall-papering of all the rooms. He was happy to give us the tour and show off his work and his lifetime collection of antique portraits. He showed us our room and everything in it. A fully stocked mini-fridge was included! Very nice!!!

Our room was beautiful and the bed was very soft, obviously a nice new mattress. However I did not sleep well because I like to have at least two pillows to myself and there was only one per person, both equally flat, not plush. No other pillows could be found and I did not want to use the decorative pillows. Also, the previous client had left their dried out contact lenses on the night table (yuck)!

The next morning, we eagerly opened our door to take in a tray that Joe had told us would contain an "over-the-top" Continental breakfast. What a disappointment: two large store-bought muffins and two out-of-a-box apple danish. That was it! We had to make our own coffee and when we added the creamers, they clumped up (yuck!) We ended up grabbing breakfast elsewhere. Joe also borrowed $6 from me, which he never repaid.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple